Honda TRX 450R banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
1986 TRX250R with a 1991 CR500R motor stuffed inside. Dont know about the 450R swap but I had Alan Knowles @ CT Racing do the frame fab and pipe on this. The bottom cross member of the frame under the motor had to be trenched so the 500 fr sprocket would be in the same location as the 250R fr sprocket. I've read talk of bad motor vibration in these. I never noticed any excessive vibration in mine. It was fine.

Heres a Honda 250X frame with a Kawasaki H2 750cc triple in it. It was fast too. Me and a friend fabbed the motor mounts. But not as fast as I expected. I had fun on both the engine swap bikes and they do turn alot of heads. If I had to do it over again......

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The pilot top end bolted right on the 250R motor? I didn't know that... and I don't know how many people do. If it was that easy to get a 400 2 stroke motor... I'm very surprised that wasn't a popular deal back when that stuff was newer.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
too bad there wasnt still or at least newer liquid cooled verions of the old H2 triples, ive seen guys make those a 4 cylinder 1000cc too. imagine that motor liquid cooled with newer technology!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Liquid Cooled Big Boy

too bad there wasnt still or at least newer liquid cooled verions of the old H2 triples, ive seen guys make those a 4 cylinder 1000cc too. imagine that motor liquid cooled with newer technology!
All it takes is money, cram 1 of these in there. i think it was 2000cc

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Yeah that's a bit much for what I want to do LOL.

Nice stuff though, what is that in? Must be a boat engine, or something totally custom... I've never seen an inline 6 cyl 2 cycle.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Little update.

Since finding the brass "dust", for lack of a better term in the oil, I have:

Filled, started and let run for 10 to 15 mon, with rotella 3 times, and now today, I did the same with the gold bottle honda oil twice... After 5 flushes (3 with the rotella, and 2 with the honda oil) I'm seeing next to nothing coming out of the motor. It's no louder then it was before... at this point I have no reason to think that it's hurt, which is a good thing. I drained the trans side, filled with the rotella again, ran during one of the engine flush cycles, drained again and refilled with the red honda tranny oil as well, just to get back to that just in case. Trans side had what I would consider normal dirt in it, being the clutch frictions and whatnot are in there I would expect to see what I saw come out of there. Nothing big/really bad, just the typical clutch dust, fritcion disk dust, etc. Pretty normal.

I did take it for a rip up the street and back twice before draining on the last flush just to load the motor a little and get the RPM's up, help knock anyting loose that may be sitting in the bottom of the motor, and I still didn't see anything come out of the oil (draining it hot as well.. it comes out fast when hot!) I cut the filter, after all of the flush cycles, and saw next to nothing in there.

It may just have been break in occuring, being that the machine only has 21 hours on it total, that's very possible I think. The average oil, up to this point at least while I've owned the machine has not been in the motor for more then a couple hours at a time, so it's likly that I just ran it long enough to actually see it this time, probably was there before and I just didn't know it.

So... for now, the thing stays as it is. I did make a gearing change, went from the stock 13/38 to 12/39, and the machine accellerates ALOT faster now, and I can lug the bottom of 1st, and it seems to not lost that much in the middle gears... so we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This blows.... all the motor options I have been able to come up with are backwards kick, or won't fit :(

The backwards kick 500, is there enough room to do it without cutting off the whole fender? That's what I don't want to do... if the kick will fit without cutting the fender it would be an option but I can't imagine it is

41 - 51 of 51 Posts