·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Theres alway more....

Just dont have time to post it right now.... :D

·
Registered
782 Posts
I followed some of those steps and they seemed to work good.

Here's couple must have!! Tear off or roll off goggles!, apply sun tan lotion before the race, do a good ride a week before the race, & thats all I could think off.
Got a camelbak but I didn't really needed it after all, wasted about 3/4 of it by letting it pour out during the race, I had a hard time keeping the mouth piece in my mouth.

Hey DirtDevil, theirs a Dune race at Oceano Dunes(Pismo) on October 22-23(search for the thread), in Nov. theirs going to be a WORCS event in Mesquite, NV(hour past Las Vegas) that I'm going try to attend.

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is good stuff. I wish I would have read this post before I started xc racing. I think the one that sticks out to me is the breathing. I noticed I wasn't breathing correctly so I make an effort to breath right now and it has helped a lot. Stretching is another one. I don't get near as sore the next day if I stretch really good before the race. I usually start stretching that morning right up until the race. The more you do it the better you will get as with most things. I think your nerves call down and you run your race. That is another thing i have been focusing on is setting my pace right out of the gate and running my race. This has consistantly made me faster this season. Thanks for the good hints.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ziptie your camelback hose to your chest protector. this way it isnt flapping around and its always there when you need it. another is dont worry about what place your in, if you keep thinking about that your likely to mess up because your not concentrating on the race. mental prep is one of the biggest things that will win or lose your race.good luck to all!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Uh, and another... HOLD ON! haha. I started racing in '06 and ever since then I STILL cant loosen up my grip on the bars, I got the death grip goin on out there and come in after every race and cant use my hands for anything cause their torn up with blisters... A pro in Whiplash gave me a great tip that I havent been able to try yet but he said to use the Med. tape but go around the tops of your palm all the way around and keep it at a comfortable "tightness"?? so that its not to tight but not too loose its going to rip off, but after that go through each of your fingers, the webbing, and take paices of the tape and double layer it and then go around again on the tops of your palm... Then you are good to go... I also saw a guy had some lil things called "limb savers" The only Limb Savers I have seen are for hunting and I havent found anything like what he had... Anything from anyone?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have some things ive noticed....if you get too tierd and your really sore and all your muscles are tightened up take a break for a couple mins. It might drop you bake a couple places but once you get back on you will feel a 100% better and you will be able to ride much faster and better.

Also things to practice are rutts....learn how to navigate them and if you cant get around them learn how to ride threw them without getting stuck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can run you shocks a little softer but you don't want them too soft. Otherwise they'll just blow through the stroke and bottom out and wear you out faster and possibly cause you to bobble or crash. Also they can do something called packing up. This happens when your shocks are too soft and you hit an obstacle or a series of obstacles and the shocks can't rebound fast enough and you hit the next obstacle at half or full stroke. You also don't want them too soft because your quad will want to lean in corners because the front is diving down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I dont know about this, but it works for me. I will chew one or 2 pieces of gum before and during the race, seems to help with dry mouth

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am only 5hrs of training into this XC stuff and the part about breathing is RIGHT ON! I will literally say it out loud while im riding and in my opinion it does 2 things...............helps with arm pump and takes your mind off the pain.

I am now 10 hrs into training and i suggest you buy some blister resistor gloves by moose racing.

I have whooped the arm pump thing with lots of riding
I have whooped the monkey butt with monkey butt powder.
I have reduced the thumb fatique with a softer carb spring
And i sure hope that these new gloves i ordered work because my hands are TORE UP!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I am only 5hrs of training into this XC stuff and the part about breathing is RIGHT ON! I will literally say it out loud while im riding and in my opinion it does 2 things...............helps with arm pump and takes your mind off the pain.

I am now 10 hrs into training and i suggest you buy some blister resistor gloves by moose racing.

I have whooped the arm pump thing with lots of riding
I have whooped the monkey butt with monkey butt powder.
I have reduced the thumb fatique with a softer carb spring
And i sure hope that these new gloves i ordered work because my hands are TORE UP![/b]

The blister resistor gloves are worth every penny. I am now doing 2 hr training sessions with no blisters.

·
Registered
167 Posts
to train for arm pump during the winter i get on a stationary bike with 2 dumbbells in my hands the entire time. i just keep them moving to get my arms pumped. all ive found for arm endurance.. i started with 5 lb dbs and i do 15lb now for 45 minutes to an hour. your arms will KILL by the end but thats the point!

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
ill throw in some tips

1.) Is be smart and do research biology class and antomy has helped me think of ideas that help during a race.
2.)Pace your self i cant stress that enough i like to keep a spot and hold it comforatbly around the 2 or 3rd lap i really start to push myself with every thing ive got left now i know the track so i can ride hard and be safe
3.)Nutrition
a. eat a banana or two before the race to raise potassium levels and reduce cramping
b. no protein the morning before a race protein take a long time to digest eat high carb things like oatmeal (not instant kind but it will work) bread spaggeti/pasta
4.)Believe it or not cardio is important your arms pump up partly becouse of lactic acid build up this is coused from your body not being able to get rid of the used blood you want good blood flowung in and the bad flowing out. Things like high blood pressure and smoking (plague build up) will kill you in this so quit and start eating right
5.)Your bike
a. RED LOCTITE EVERYTHING if it can come off in a race it will trust me racing is brutal on a quad if it can loosen it will if you think it wont it will
b.Check your bike over dnf's....wellll......they suck i hate them, personally they are embarrassing.
c.Suspension the race is long and will tear you apart save for a godd suspension set up i cant stress that enough
d.Flexx bars (if you have a practice bike use a standard bar as this will help build strenght and reduce how much you feel arm pump)
e. If you can afford a steering stabilizer get one they safe you from breaking parts and wrists. Dont buy the stick wons they heat up really fast and ive actully made them blow up before from impact

im sure its not all in there actually im positive any question just shott me a pm if i dont know the answer ill find it for you

·
Registered
674 Posts
Good points xc1993, I use a stock bike for practice and it beats the piss out of me in every way possible but on race day i can ride full speed for the whole race and still ready to ride when they say its over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I practice on my wifes raptor 250, my friends are all mxers so i try to keep up with them in the woods. Its an awsome work out trying to get that little bike to keep up! You take a major beating. Another benifit I find In doing this is it keeps me from lugging my 450 so much. I have to stay in a high rpm range with the little rappy and by transfering this habit to my R I've made myself much faster. Lugging a 4 stroke feels comfortable but its slow.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Alot of good tips on here guys. Been building up my 05 to race xc. Question about the steering stabilizer, i was reading somewhere on here that if you race xc, dont use a stick type stabilizer, use the other, more expensive kind. i was curious what brands you guys use and what setting you put it at..........

21 - 40 of 55 Posts