Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets here your tips and tricks for riders of all skill levels including but not limited to best setup, training, and diet.

I will get it started, I don't have a lot of experence but here's what i've learned so far.

Drink plenty of water even days before the race, also mabey a water hydration system for the race (camelback) I mix mine 50/50 with water and gatorade.

Its a long race, make sure you use the bathroom before it starts!

Always have extra googles, tires on rims, and air filters. You never know when you or someone else may need them, Don't forget your tools!

Don't follow the rider in front of you too closely, if they wreck or make an error this will give you time to go around instead of making a wrong turn or wrecking into them. This is especially important on hills!

If money isn't an isssue beadlocks and tireballs would be nice.

I like to run around 5 psi in my front and rear tires, your results may vary due to the roughness or muddyness of the course plus your weight.

Oversized gas tanks can be nice to have.

Bananas or potassium pills are good to take in before a race to help prevent cramping.

Try to stay moving to prevent your googles from fogging up, there are also no fog googles available now.

Pratice your holeshots! Getting out front in these races is very important, it is usually very hard to pass in these races.

Make sure you finish the race! Being wreckless and tearing up your ride is way worse than finishing towards the bottom of the barrel.

Well its time to leave from work now, I will add more later if you guys don't steal all my ideas! :D

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Everything you said was about the meat and Tators of it.......

I say set your Bike up for softness..... you arent takeing big jumps so you can get away with a really soft shocks.... mine are so soft that when i hit my 40ft double on my Mini Track i broke my entire air box and had to buy another... thats soft.....

The Camel Bak is GREAT for races over 2 hrs long ... if it is a hareschramble you can get a way with driking water or IMO gatorade before the race.... GO TO THE PISSER BEFORE THE RACE..... <<<< best one i heard from ya luke....

Best excersise is RIDE RIDE RIDE....... oh and ride a little more.... too much muscle with hurt your ability to be quick with reaction..... be lean and have good endurence built up.... ( i say that yet i dont do it)....

Good tires and stock wheels is good enough.... beadlocks are only if you have the opertunity to pop a tire or if you want to run LOW air pressure.....

Tools Googles Gloves Handguards and LUCK......<<<< thats what i look for when i go..... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THEM.....

In dusty conditions BE CAREFUL...... you can follow the guy infront of you on his BUTT only if he has a clear view of the track ahead..... if not you both should back off and be careful unless you know what is exactly infront of you..... do not follow the bumper of the person infront of you up a hill like LUKE said..... they could come back down even quicker than they went up.....

Look past the Trees not at them.... stay Stock width not wider.... or u will be taging trees all day long..... (Jeff Strose)

Stand up as much as you can, even if it may be hard at first it will help you with the bumps so u can use your legs as BIG SHOCKS...... ( Jonny G)

Time for me to go back to work.....

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also no drinking in the days before a race, alcohol will dehydrate your muscles making it more likely that you will get cramps. :(

No lifting heavy weights at the gym for your training, if you are going to lift weights use light weight and high reps to build endurance.

ALWAYS keep up on the maintence of your quad, oiling the chain, changing the fluids, adjusting the valves, checking the tread life on the tires, proper jetting, fresh fuel, keeping the cables oiled and clean, checking for loose connections in the wiring, good brake pads, grease all moving parts, make sure all bolts are tight, any of these things plus more can keep you from finishing a race so make sure they're all good to go.

Let the faster rider behind you pass. he could cause you to wreck or you could wreck and he could hit you but most importantly by following him it could reduce you laps times because you'll be trying to keep up with him because he's faster.

No shortcuts! If you get caught cheating not only could you lose your place that you finished at but other racers will look down on you as a cheater. -_- Although it was an accident getting off course cost Bill Ballance a 1st place finish this year and put him back to like 4th place I believe.

Always try to look ahead, not seeing a big creek rock sticking out of a hill your climbing is never a good sight, especially when you don't see it till your about to hit it and flip back down the hill or bend a tie rod or a-arm. :(

Get to the race early so you can walk or bicycle the track so you can know what to expect.

Look out for spectators, they like to think that they're helping a racer out sometimes until they get you turned in the wrong direction or get in your way while they try to help someone get unstuck.

Don't tell your woman that you're going to the races, she might start trying to find something more constructive for you to do, like laundry or dishes!
:(

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Don't tell your woman that you're going to the races, she might start trying to find something more constructive for you to do, like laundry or dishes!   [/b]
:D :D :D :D

Also no drinking in the days before a race, alcohol will dehydrate your muscles making it more likely that you will get cramps.[/b]
I second that ... i had a buddies wedding party to go to two days before a race and i was still hung over and that was a HORRIBLE day of raceing... felt like i ran the track on foot with a 200lb bag on my back..... if you want to do anything constructive in the raceing scene then DONT DRINK for about 3 days before the race.... its Highly recommended not to drink before the race either.... My buddies were next to a guy on the Starting line at a Haspin Acres Race and he ran over to the fence grabed a BEER and shotgunned it right there and came and jumped back on his quad.... needless to say they had to pull him out of the woods and pull his quad out in about 3 peices.... DUMB ARZZ..... :wacko:

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Oh i forgot.... right before the race to help you from cramping ... do some of the hardest stretching you can think of..... the more flexable you are and the more toxins you get out of your muscles the better for the long run....

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd include Smith goggles, The scott ones with tear offs just get muddy if wet.

Steering damper

lower tire pressure in back makes for an easier ride

always look to the next turn and ride your own race (not somebody elses)

breath!!!!

dont ever take gloves off

monkey butt shorts are good to have

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Get lots of rest before a race:
1. Don't stay up late, go to bed early
2. Stay away from your women, this will suck the strenght out of you
3. Eat healthy, no fast food
4. Take vitamins
5. If you smoke(whatever) do it after the race not berfore!

Even though you ride allot, you must still excerise
1. Workout 3 times a week, not for muscle mass, but for endurance!
2. Swim, ride bike, or jog
3. Stretch every morning and every night and especially before a race!

Be mentally fit in your mine and for heaven sakes wear the proper gear
1. Like boots, helmet, gloves, knee gaurds and elbow pads, chest protector.
2. If it's a long race have a camelpak!

Also have a check list to make sure your ride is in top working order.
1. Check your chain
2. Check tire pressure
3. Check all your bolts to see if anything is lose.
4. Check handlebars for right position and tightness
5. Check suspension setup for what kind of race your doing
6. Check clutch and brakes as well as brake pads if necessary.
7. and make sure your number plate is secure
Well I have to take a nap now!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
:D Good nights sleep........

·
Registered
110 Posts
do not pull the velcro on your gloves to tight around your wrist. Keep it as loose as possible, it helps to reduce arm pump.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
do not pull the velcro on your gloves to tight around your wrist. Keep it as loose as possible, it helps to reduce arm pump.[/b]
Its the little things that count.....

Thanks Dustin................. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
here are some good ones:

1)Duck Tape:
if its really muddy and wet...wrap duck tape around the top of your boots and tape them onto your riding pants...this way your feet dont get wet and cold...also you may want to tape up your front bumper so that no mud clogs up the radiator.

2)Handguards
you may want to buy some of those big styerfoam wraparound hand guards to put over your normal ones...this way it deflects more mud and water and keeps your hands dry and on the grips

3)Energy
DO NOT eat oranges before the race...this spikes your energy level and causes you to be boosted on energy..but only for a small amount of time...then you wear out very fast...a better drink is 50/50 water and gatorade or 50/50 water and some other energy drink

4)Spares
always bring a spare set of gloves, goggles(equip with tearoffs), tires/rims, and a chain...these parts are the most likely to be needed during a race then any other part and may be essential in a rocky or muddy race

5)Water
dont try to fly through the water, if your airbox is open it may cause your bike to stall...take it slower or lean back on the seat and try to wheelie through it to keep dry...this way all the water stays on the rear fenders and not all over you and your bike

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Thanks for the tips Racer! B) I like the duct tape on the boots one .. doesn't look pretty, but it can literally be the difference between 1st and 2nd .. VERY hard to ride with COLD feet!

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I hear ya... those are good one....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go for the holeshot and never look back. Like stated it is very hard to pass, so everthing you can gain in the begining is a plus. Run a comfortable pace if you are getting passed by riders way faster than you dont try to keep up it will just wear you out. Its a long race theres plenty of opportunities to gain postions. In my opinion a camel back is a must, if you get thirtsy out there and have nothing to drink you will not race good.

things to have on the quad:
good tires
steering stabilizer (must have)
skids (must have)
the best shocks you can afford, shocks will make you faster than any motor mod you can buy in the woods.
Nice smooth power out of your quad is what your looking for, you dont want sudden blast of power it will also wear you out.
I run roll off googles, they have been great to me so far.

The only way to get in shape is ride ride ride, theres all kinda tricks but if you just go run a smart race at a good pace youll finish good. Whenever you get your endurance up and your nerve your ready to go to the top.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by beak7707@Dec 9 2004, 04:21 PM
Go for the holeshot and never look back.  Like stated it is very hard to pass, so everthing you can gain in the begining is a plus.  Run a comfortable pace if you are getting passed by riders way faster than you dont try to keep up it will just wear you out.  Its a long race theres plenty of opportunities to gain postions.  In my opinion a camel back is a must, if you get thirtsy out there and have nothing to drink you will not race good.

things to have on the quad:
good tires
steering stabilizer (must have)
skids (must have)
the best shocks you can afford, shocks will make you faster than any motor mod you can buy in the woods.
Nice smooth power out of your quad is what your looking for, you dont want sudden blast of power it will also wear you out.
I run roll off googles, they have been great to me so far.

The only way to get in shape is ride ride ride, theres all kinda tricks but if you just go run a smart race at a good pace youll finish good.  Whenever you get your endurance up and your nerve your ready to go to the top.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38089
[/quote]

Very good advise!! :D

Rico

·
Registered
6 Posts
Breathing. It may sound like a given but when your really concentrating you sometimes forget to breath. I know when I first started racing I would forget to breath and then be gasping for air. If you make a conscious effort to breath and relax you will not pump up as much. It definitely helped me.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Originally posted by CletusEX@Jan 11 2005, 08:36 PM
Breathing.  It may sound like a given but when your really concentrating you sometimes forget to breath.  I know when I first started racing I would forget to breath and then be gasping for air.  If you make a conscious effort to breath and relax you will not pump up as much.  It definitely helped me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48288
[/quote]

This will also come with time and getting comfortable as well...BUT... is still very true ....

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Go for the holeshot and never look back.[/b]
Easier said than done....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts