Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone got the stock shocks to perform well in the woods.

I loosened my preload and put all clickers to S. It still felt a bit harsh at top speed in the woods. I am in PA where we have alot of rocks and roots.

Eventually i will get it revalved, but for now I'm looking for the best performance from stock.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Try lowering the shocks. You can do this by turning the rings at the top of the shock. If you do this to all the shocks you will lower the bike 1 inch and that will help with stability!

Oh Yeh, don't turn them so much that you will not be able to see any threads left. You should have about two threads left so it won't bind up on you and you won't be able to turn them back!

·
Registered
321 Posts
that's nice to know rico thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
i got 2 threads showing and i went 3 clicks to h on all shocks and they are working for me great
the only place ive tested them is at maplesville al, its a location of one of the mid south hare scrambles i got some friends who are members of the motorcycle club there and i get to ride besides at races so its a good testing ground and it works excellently

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have about 2 threads showing also, but like I said, I have all the clickers on full soft.

Would this make the shocks pack up on rough terrain at high speeds?

brandonpeake- Did you goo the whole way to soft and then 3 turns out? Is that on comp and rebound?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
With the Rebound on soft you will have a fast rebound.... turn it up a little harder and it will rebound a little slower and it wont BOING ya around as much.... I HAD the Same set up... i had 2 threads showing and compression was 1 turn hard of soft and rebound was 4 turns hard from soft...... or go more if ya want on the rebound.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to have the shocks revalved or something, but i have to pay the bills first.

I had a modded Warrior that I removed my Works shocks from when i bought the 450r. I traded those shocks for ones that fit my brother's 400ex. I used to be able to pull away from him since my Warrior had a little more HP (about 31) and better suspension.

We rode last weekend and he was pulling away from me on my 450R! I couldn't believe it. My hands were so numb that I could barely hold onto the bars. I ended up rolling my quad because I cut a corner too tight so he wouldn't get too far ahead of me!

He said he was hitting things and didn't even feel them....I know I sure did! I know Works are better than stock, but I figured that the 450s stockers would be a little better. I guess you can't beat a Triple rate shock with a single.

I should've kept those Works for myself!!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
You can have your shocks revalved for around $800 front and back from TCS. When your in the sand your shocks should be soft, when your in the dirt your shocks should be set much stiffer. :D
TCS 1(909)245-7484

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
dude if you ride in trails. or woods, I recommend not lowering your quad....you will find it to be trouble if you ride in the places i ride....Also, these people that lowered thier quad to make it handle better, simply set it up wrong in my opionion....mine handles just as good as thiers does, without lowering the quad.....I just stiffened the compression just a very little bit....I then made the rebound slower on comeing back up.....and I can take a corner just as fast, if not faster then the people who lowered thier quads.....I lowered mine for 1 day, and raised it back up the very next day...I kept getting stuck on tree stumps and such....it would be a good set up for motor cross. But I think it is just as good, even at motorcross, withoug lowering the quad...I have posted this before. where people say it dives to much in corners.....I think they just need to learn how to take a corner....dont go into the corner braking like they say to.....brake at first...then before you get to the corner let off and brake to bring the quad back level...wants its level again...turn and crack the throttle.....that will swing you right around the corner with no loose of controll due to cab roll....these people that actually seen a improvement in lowering this quad, I think need to learn how to ride it in a different way....

I know I probably started something here, these people are going to want to flame me now, but that OK...I could care less about that...I am just sharing my style of racing compared to others....try different things until you find what you like...cause in my opionion lowering the quad did not make any difference in cab roll....you just need to not be braking so hard in the corners, that your nose diving into the corner.....let off the brake before corner, that will bring the quad back level....then from there kick it sideways around the corner...I would race anyone on here with this set up....Im not saying I would beat everyone...but I garentee. They will have a run for thier money.......just my 2 cents....

Dont do something becasue everyone else did....try what they say, then improve on that for your own style....I had to raise mine back to the stock setting....And I am way better on corners like this...plus when you are in the whoops section this set up is far supperior then the set up with the quad lowered........

For all, this info is based on stock shocks.....for my riding style....everyone elses set up may be best for them....I am just sharing what best for me....

One thing I have learned about these sites is one person sets thier quad up like this,,,,and they say its better. So everyone else sets thier up just like that.....Does this make since to anyone who really knows how to ride.....I would hope not.....what this causes, is a lack of people trying new things....Thus you end up with one result instead of a variety of settings...

·
Registered
199 Posts
lude - no flaming, just a few comments of my own.

Certain principals are hard to get around - center of gravity being one of them. In theory, the lower the cog, the less roll you will have in a corner, be it an atv or a shopping cart.

I am continuing to lower mine down in an effort to improve handling. I dont follow your point on getting stuck on stumps with a lower ride height, because the chassis is not the lowest point of the bike - the rear axle carrier is. Lowering ride height/chassis height will have little to no effect on that part of undercarriage.

Now there is one downside I can see from lower ride height - you lose part of the stroke of your shock in "packing" areas, ie, small jumps/whoops where your shocks do not have time to fully extend themselves before hitting the next obstacle. Not sure how to solve this problem. I think it becomes a balance.

For what it is worth, I have had my stock suspension reworked and am running my ride height in the 7"s for xc racing.

100% agreement on setup - everyone should take the time to find out what works for them. That is part of the fun - deciding how to setup up your quad for your style of riding.

Carson

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I agree with Carson a 100%, one thing for sure you will never get the shocks to work perfectly, because they are preload shocks. The non preload shocks are the only way to go. If you ever ride with someone that has professional shocks you will see how they do not have to work so hard to keep there bike under control! Try following someone with those shocks and you will see what I'm talking about. Good luck to your racing Carson and anyone else that races. I'm going to start racing in August. Doubt I will be any threat to you young guys, but then again I'm out there having fun. Just riding my 450R makes me feel like I'm in first place!

Honda forever! B)

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
You guys are right. I agree with both of you 100 %. But what I was trying to explain is the fact that for me, I can turn this bike better with the ride height where it was when I bought it stock...I could not get used to the lower ride height. For my style of racing/riding, it worked out better for me to ride with it a little higher...I dont know why, but it works for me...Thus my point at the end, you have to fine tune it for how it feels best to you.

Just for everyone's attention. I dont always agree with what I put on this board. I post contridicting post to start a debate. If you notice I have done this several occasions. But what we do learn when I do this is pros and cons of different set ups. Plus we get more valuble info. then we would when everyone beileves the same thing....so dont get mad at me....PLEASE :(

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I never got mad and noone else should either. Like you said this site is for learning what works for you. I'm glad you found a way to make the bike work for you! That is all anyone can ask for. Please always put your opinion in. It's important for everyone to know what works for you so other poeple can try it out! Good luck to your racing lude. Hope you do well! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts