Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my hrc kit for my new 08 just showed up anyone have any imput on if i should wrap the head pipe or just put the gaurd back on it from the stock one

·
Registered
362 Posts
my hrc kit for my new 08 just showed up anyone have any imput on if i should wrap the head pipe or just put the gaurd back on it from the stock one[/b]
i just wrapped mine last weekend, its kind of expensive ($40) and smokes like crazy for the first 20 minutes or so. but it does keep alot of heat off your leg. i only wrapped mine so that i can ride in shorts in the dunes.

·
Venom Sand Slinger
1,338 Posts
what wrap are u guys using?

and did you guys use the protective spray after it was wrapped?[/b]
I use the Thermo-Tec black 1" wide wrap, and yes, I spray 3 coats of the hi-temp
coating (also from Thermo-tec) on after wrapping.

Later- Kris

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
We wrapped the header on the black 450r in the quad-innovations 450r build topic. We used the same method used above. It works really well and looks very nice. We wash our machines after every race / practice and the black does come out. We have to re-spray the black thermo coating every time after we wash it....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We wrapped the header on the black 450r in the quad-innovations 450r build topic. We used the same method used above. It works really well and looks very nice. We wash our machines after every race / practice and the black does come out. We have to re-spray the black thermo coating every time after we wash it....[/b]
this is all good input what about proformance wise no advantages

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
We wrapped the header on the black 450r in the quad-innovations 450r build topic. We used the same method used above. It works really well and looks very nice. We wash our machines after every race / practice and the black does come out. We have to re-spray the black thermo coating every time after we wash it....[/b]
[/b]

i doubt it. proably take longer for the motor or at least the pipe to cool down.
some say moisture penetrates the wrap and depending on the pipe it can cause rust.

but for me, Im wrappin it for the look and to keep the dam heat off my leg.

·
Registered
375 Posts
[/b]
It is "claimed" that there are performance advantages due the heat being kept inside the pipe causeing the exhaust flow to exit at an accclerated rate. or something like that...

·
Registered
362 Posts
i used the thermo-tec 1" wide also. it looks pretty good if you take your time. i bought the wrap at napa but i didn't use the coating "yet". no one around here seems to have it. for the guys who did use the coating where did you get it at?

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
I never knew there was a different thickness... but it makes sense....

I use 2" cuzz its far cheaper in the long run.... but it is more difficult to wrap and make it look NICE where the neck bends...... however, this stuff doesnt last forever, and I have already wrapped my header several times, and the 2" goes a lot further.....

I have used both the supposed 'best' copper impregnated wrap......... and the 'tech' black thermo wrap...(actually Kevin's wrap....sshhh)..... both last about the same time and both will turn almost white after just a few heat cycles..... not sure if its the added heat from Nitrous use or not....but my black wrap turned grey before the engine was even broken in....and it is now almost pure white....(about 3 mos old)...but is still in good working shape..... what happens is the wrap begins to deteriorate over time and will need replacing...... mine usually lasts about 6mos of normal riding.....

I have never had an issue washing my quad and rusting the pipe......so I cant say if that is true or not, but in any case, all you have to do is start your bike up and let it warm up for a short while to burn all the water out of the wrap......

is there a performance difference? according to some.... yes, due to exactly what Martin explained above...the higher the exhaust gas temp, the faster the exhaust gases flow......... maybe John will do some experimenting/dyno testing with header wraps one day...but until then..... I cant really say for sure....

but it DOES keep the heat off the leg and is a HUGE improvement in this department........quite a noticeable difference if you ask me.....cuzz my pipe can really get hot.... hot enough to bake OFF my ceramic coating.....

what does the 'coating' do or 'suppose' to do for the wrap?

jmho...me~

·
Venom Sand Slinger
1,338 Posts
i think the coating probably increases the life of the wrap by sealing it. probably helps keep some of the color in it longer.[/b]
That's what I think also...

The hi-temp coating does 3 things in my mind.

1. Helps keep the heat in the pipe
2. Seals the wrap to help keep it from deteriorating
3. Helps keep the wrap colored black, since the coating is black also.

I'll post a couple of pictures here shortly, along with my application method.

Kris

·
Venom Sand Slinger
1,338 Posts
Ok, here's some basic application instructions that I had posted on another forum:

The header wrap can be a pita, but it definately gets easier with practice.

1st off, I started with the black 1" wide wrap (much easier to work with)
2.) I soak the wrap in water before applying (this probably "pre-stretches" it and makes it easier to apply)
*The directions on the wrap don't tell you to soak it, but the instructions on the can of sealer tell ya to soak the wrap before applying
3.) Start wrapping from the rear of the pipe up to the front (this keeps the overlapping ridges of the wrap facing rearward so it's harder for sand, etc. to get stuck in it)
4.) After the wrap dries overnight, it kind of "shrink wraps" itself to the pipe
5.) And lastly, I spray about 3 coats of the header wrap high temp sealer on the wrap.

To answer one of the other questions someone had, you can buy the Thermo-tec wrap and sealer from car performance warehouses like Jeg's Automotive or Summit Racing. A 50' roll runs roughly $30 and a can of sealer runs about $9.

Here's a couple of pix of my Raptor pipes...

I've had this wrap on now for probably 15 hours of actual run time and it still looks as good as day one.

As stated above though, after washing your machine, you should start it up to evaporate all the water out of
the wrap before putting your baby to bed...

Later- Kris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as for the wrap i dont kno that ill want to have to rewrap every 6 monthes so another question wat does everyone think about this the hrc kit comes with bigger brackets to use the stock heat shild on the hrc header im sure honda put some r and d into this concept i just really wanted to du it if there was gona b a beneficial proformance increase

1 - 19 of 19 Posts