Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to have my custom intake flow tested against the FCI intake. Chad from DRG offered to do the testing for me and since we have done alot of dyno testing together I took him up on his offer.

The standard depression for testing carbs is 20.5 which will be displayed by the green line on the graph.
The FCI was tested without a filter then with a Velocity Filter and then the FCI Filter.

Here is the FCI

Attachments

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to have my custom intake flow tested against the FCI intake. Chad from DRG offered to do the testing for me and since we have done alot of dyno testing together I took him up on his offer.

The standard depression for testing carbs is 20.5 which will be displayed by the green line on the graph.
The FCI was tested without a filter then with a Velocity Filter and then the FCI Filter.

Here is the FCI[/b]

FCI

Attachments

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next was my WppRacing Custom Intake. It is the new design ESR that I modded and attached the FCI filter flange to it.
The intake was tested without a filter then a velocity filter and then the FCI Filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
what does it flow through the head,carb, and exhuast? thats would give a better idea to whats going on. you could put a velocity stack at the end of the carb and flow alot. its amount of cfm it takes from the whole system that counts. but im sure you know this...

·
Solid Gold DASA500R!
4,924 Posts
what does it flow through the head,carb, and exhuast? thats would give a better idea to whats going on.[/b]
yeah, what was gained on the dyno??

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
awesome, at least you know its not holding you back... I wonder if he can also measure the velocity with a pito tube like they do in the heads..

·
Stock 05 450R
1,942 Posts
Anyone want to explain how to read that graph? And what it means?

I notice the differences but do not know what to make of them.

·
Registered
898 Posts
awesome, at least you know its not holding you back... I wonder if he can also measure the velocity with a pito tube like they do in the heads..[/b]

I can measure velocity using the bench or measure velocity using external pitot tubes, obviously measure cfm, electrically change depression in real-time closed-loop, digitally control valve lift to any position, port map, perform carb testing, and many other functions too.... my bench can flow enough head pressure and crf capable of measuring most NASCAR heads, if desired... When I test heads I like to ramp up the velocity beyond typical depressions to test for spike conditions in the engine that most benches can't test for...

Brian requested me to measure the flow of his intake against some other intakes with and without filters, just to show the flow through the intakes at different depressions. Again, this is flow information on just the intake with/without filter.... There are plenty of other variables that effect performance such as length, volume, taper and its cross-sectional near the carb that determines if its gonna be a real performance modification... We also tested an 06 FCI tube and an unmodified ESR intake too with/without filters...

Garrett, I understand what your concerns are,... Brian just wanted me to flow and compare intakes; not the entire system path...

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
awesome, at least you know its not holding you back... I wonder if he can also measure the velocity with a pito tube like they do in the heads..[/b]

I can measure velocity using the bench or measure velocity using external pitot tubes, obviously measure cfm, electrically change depression in real-time closed-loop, digitally control valve lift to any position, port map, perform carb testing, and many other functions too.... my bench can flow enough head pressure and crf capable of measuring most NASCAR heads, if desired... When I test heads I like to ramp up the velocity beyond typical depressions to test for spike conditions in the engine that most benches can't test for...

Brian requested me to measure the flow of his intake against some other intakes with and without filters, just to show the flow through the intakes at different depressions. Again, this is flow information on just the intake with/without filter.... There are plenty of other variables that effect performance such as length, volume, taper and its cross-sectional near the carb that determines if its gonna be a real performance modification... We also tested an 06 FCI tube and an unmodified ESR intake too with/without filters...

Garrett, I understand what your concerns are,... Brian just wanted me to flow and compare intakes; not the entire system path...
[/b]
I would like to see how it runs and if there are any major torque improvements as well as more horespower on the dyno

·
Registered
898 Posts
Anyone want to explain how to read that graph? And what it means?

I notice the differences but do not know what to make of them.[/b]

the vertical scale represents 100 cfm per division...

the horizontal axis is the depression on each intake tube. the depression is the 'suction' potential described in inches of h2o...

like filling a 'U' tube with water and the suction connected to one end of the U tube pulling the water upward in the "U" tube measured in inches...

when you hear 28" h2o it implies a vaccuum strong enough to pull water up in a 'U' tube 28" up from the resting water position...

These is a general analogy.....

Most builders use the standard single cylinder depression around 10" or 15".... I've found that there are flow paths in an engine or intake tract that behave differently and can go turbulant at higher depressions... I test standard and high...

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

[/b]
I would like to see how it runs and if there are any major torque improvements as well as more horespower on the dyno
[/b]
I will do a ride test later this week.

·
Registered
898 Posts

[/b]
[/b]
John, I must admit that WPP intake was nice,... it utilized the strengths of the ESR with the strengths of the FCI,... plus, its longer than the ESR for better mid torque... BONUS!

Not taking anything away from the FCI,... the FCI has proven itself as a superior installed component.... we need to see what the WPP can offer installed,... on the flow bench there's no doubt that both performs...

·
Registered
509 Posts
QUOTE(miller450r @ Aug 12 2008, 12:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=542672
<div class='quotemain'>awesome, at least you know its not holding you back... I wonder if he can also measure the velocity with a pito tube like they do in the heads..[/b]

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

John, I must admit that WPP intake was nice,... it utilized the strengths of the ESR with the strengths of the FCI,... plus, its longer than the ESR for better mid torque... BONUS!

Not taking anything away from the FCI,... the FCI has proven itself as a superior installed component.... we need to see what the WPP can offer installed,... on the flow bench there's no doubt that both performs...
[/b][/quote]
k

Chad my only concerns to this is, people need to understand there is more thn a flow creates a good intake system as stated.. we have tested intakes that have flowed more and made less power.YOu especially notice it when you put a load to it during testing on most occasions. Im not saying there isnt anything wrong testing intakes this way. its a good start and thats pretty much how we start all our intakes. This is good conversation anyways. Brain does very good work and carries my products. im sure this intake will work very nice.

did you test the 06 intake with the insert in or out?

·
Registered
898 Posts
QUOTE(very_fast_450 @ Aug 12 2008, 11:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=542681
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b]

[/b][/quote]
k

Chad my only concerns to this is, people need to understand there is more thn a flow creates a good intake system as stated.. we have tested intakes that have flowed more and made less power.YOu especially notice it when you put a load to it during testing on most occasions. Im not saying there isnt anything wrong testing intakes this way. its a good start and thats pretty much how we start all our intakes. This is good conversation anyways. Brain does very good work and carries my products. im sure this intake will work very nice.

did you test the 06 intake with the insert in or out?
[/b][/quote]

Garrett, you know your intakes have set the hurdle or bench-mark.... so,... of coarse there will be ppl comparing your product to theirs.... that being said I completely agree that there are certainly other variables that can easily affect power output.... flow is a start, but its only part of the picture...

I did flow test your 06 intake with and without your FCR insert transition ring...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts