Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i work for Cincinnati Milacron, We are a booming machine shop in southern ohio. When i took the job offer i realized we worked alot of overtime. Well here recently we got a huge contract for some new work. The last 2 months we have been scheduled 7 days a week, on third shift at that but i was always skippin out on sundays. Now i know im crying but this sucks at 21. The last place i worked was 6 days 12 hour shifts and it caused alot of relationship problems for me. And now the supervisor just come to me and said they are about to start forcing me for sunday. I told him if they would just let it slip till winter they can have me 7 days a week cause it is doubletime on sundays but he said they wont keep me that long if i keep this up. Im sure alot of you guys work your a** off but im still young and dont wanna wake up one day and realize im 40 years old, never been married and have no kids cause all i done was work. Right now its a 10 year contract and the company says they can do it on the machines they have if they run 7 days a week. They aint willing to buy more machines and run 5 days a week. I know i sound like a little baby but im asking you older fellows that have some experience on life, What should i do?? work whats left of my youth away or slow down and have the "lifes to short" outlook???

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Well i work for Cincinnati Milacron, We are a booming machine shop in southern ohio. When i took the job offer i realized we worked alot of overtime. Well here recently we got a huge contract for some new work. The last 2 months we have been scheduled 7 days a week, on third shift at that but i was always skippin out on sundays. Now i know im crying but this sucks at 21. The last place i worked was 6 days 12 hour shifts and it caused alot of relationship problems for me. And now the supervisor just come to me and said they are about to start forcing me for sunday. I told him if they would just let it slip till winter they can have me 7 days a week cause it is doubletime on sundays but he said they wont keep me that long if i keep this up. Im sure alot of you guys work your a** off but im still young and dont wanna wake up one day and realize im 40 years old, never been married and have no kids cause all i done was work. Right now its a 10 year contract and the company says they can do it on the machines they have if they run 7 days a week. They aint willing to buy more machines and run 5 days a week. I know i sound like a little baby but im asking you older fellows that have some experience on life, What should i do?? work whats left of my youth away or slow down and have the "lifes to short" outlook???[/b]
dang man thats way to many hours! how are you even supposed to enjoy the money you're making? sounds like no fun dude, time for a different job, i would say.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
daym dude.

im working 8-10 hrs 5 days a week and im starting to feel the toll on my lower back. i do detail for cars at the ford dealer here nearby. lotsa waxing and final detailing, basically, if the customer dont liek it, its my ass or my partner.

i havent worked in 1 yr so im tired as hail right now :coffee:

·
Registered
333 Posts
there are 2 things i have learned in my life...
1 dont work more than you have too!!
2. dont work some place you dont like with people you cant stand!

dont get me wrong.. i hate WORK.. if i had a job rubbin down supermodels all day.. i would still hate it cause its work!!

any one who says they LOVE their job is trying to fool him/herself into going to that place every stinkin day for the next 30+ years!

i have always thought of my job as a means to facilitate my playtime... whether it is my investments/401k for later in life or the here and now monthly pay... they all go to increasing my family fun time!

later aaron

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a feeling I'm running down the same path, Im 16 working 40-50 hour weeks!.
Tough crap working so many hours, not a lot of time for anything. I dont do anything but work on the weekends, 2 12 hour days. Its a killer.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
if i were you I'd stick it out for awhile. 21 is not an age to complain about being old or gettin near it. I'm gonna be 23 in a few days and 'm workin 7 days a week 14-16 hours a day for the last month and for at least the next month.

I'm not worrie about it, I realize if I keep this up for a short period f time i can be living very comfortably well before 30. I know it's hard to look at it but you have to think about were you could be in a few years.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I work seven days a week every week in two different business'. But for me, its fine. Im 25, work with my wife and the way I look at it is, I can work like a dog now and hopefully when im 52 I can kick back, drink wine, eat cheese and fruit in another country and never have a regret.

But im self employed and dont have a boss to anwser to so mabey thats why its easy for me.

You may ask why not hire someone, I do addition by subtraction. LOL

I subtract an employee and make more. No need to have weekends off if Im not cleared by the Doc to ride right?

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
at 21...I was working in an office.... 'thought' I had it made..... 40 hour work week (except for out of town trips, etc).....decent pay... salary..... A/C during summer and Heat during winter.....(a far cry from Farm work driving Tractors, Cats, etc)..... working with my brain was rewarding... for a while.......along with the pay...... but looking out of a window....and WISHING I was outside.... got to me.... after 6 years of what most would consider a GOOD job..... I left and became self-employed...... made good money..... went thru a divorce... yada yada...... and finally.... I am in a CAREER that I have chosen..... over the past Decade (and then some)....I have realized that although I love my 'off-duty' time....I also love my work....my fellow employees..... not so much my pay....cuzz it sux.... but, I will probably retire in this line of work just cuzz it is rewarding in OTHER aspects.........

all I can say is this..... working (7) days a week...... you hafta ask yourself...... WHY?

life is too fricken short.... mine is passing me by... .kids are growing and, in fact, one has left the household....... I cant keep up with the youngens on the track.....I cant keep up with the youngens at work......(even though I try)... so about all I have left is to prove to MYSELF that I can still...at least... compete.... still... at least... TEACH what I know to others........and I can still solve issues/problems that others cannot..... its called 'experience'.......

so...find a job you love.... actually....find a CAREER...that will reward in ways other than monetary........ and ENJOY life for what it has to offer.....cuzz one day....you will look back as I have....and wonder....'where did all the time go'......

enjoy life.....me~

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
so...find a job you love.... actually....find a CAREER...that will reward in ways other than monetary........ and ENJOY life for what it has to offer.....cuzz one day....you will look back as I have....and wonder....'where did all the time go'......

enjoy life.....me~
[/quote]

motivational speaker, were gonna send you to the high schools to knock some knowledge into the seniors that arent going to college. lol

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Just find a job that you don't mind going to, and pays enough to live comfortable. That’s all

·
Registered
810 Posts
At 21 it would be tough. If it is a 10yr contract, they will have to do something or everyone will be run into the ground. Most, eventually reach a point where they don't care anymore working those kind of hours. I saw it alot working 6 days aweek(granted most were older, 40+ workers). Like the others have said, find something you really like.

I was in a job for the last 13yrs and I liked it in the beginning, but the last 5 years have been really bad. Watching good employee's being forced out due to cutbacks and down sizing. That has bothered me more than it probly should have. Now my past place of employment has decided to shut the doors and move out of the country. LAst thursday was my last day. I already got signed up for school today. Seems strange after all these years, going back for a 2nd time and being that "old guy" , we kinda teased then. Now at 33, I'm him!

I wouldn't give up on the job, just work it until you can figure out what you really want. At your age I thought the money was everything, now...not so much.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Just find a job that you don't mind going to, and pays enough to live comfortable. That’s all[/b]
If only it was that easy.
[/b]
No kidding.

Actually beleive or not i do enjoy my job even when it is 7 days a week. And it is starting to make life comforatable. I consider my self blessed.

But it has been a hell of ride finding one like this. I have been through at least six jobs since i became a member here, I pray the roller coaster hasstopped here because i could honestly retire from here.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
I my self think ya should stick it tout, till ya find something else u really want to do, 10 years at 7days a week will be a nightmare, but nothing in this world is guaranteed, some places are scrambling for jobs cause of the economy, its sad that we gotta be dependent of money, but we need it, speicially if ya wanna have that security of knowing that if something happens youll be ok for a little while,

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
Greg 450RRR

you should be a motivationla speaker for the popo department and go to LA and knock sense into the wannabe wankstas :cool:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I hate work also, my first job was horrible..total people person job which Im not..I quit there before my 30 day probation was up. My new job is the most boring job ever but its so laid back, work when ever i want how ever long I want..Its just so boring..pay isnt that great but im 17 what am I to expect. Hopefully one day I'll find a job i actually want to do.

·
Registered
559 Posts
the day you dont have a job youll regret it.[/b]

EXACTLY!!! Work your ass off now while your young, and if your any kind of sensible person it will pay off as long as you take advantage of it now. 10 yrs down the road you wont regret it when your running the place.

·
Registered
911 Posts
6-7 days a week is TOO MUCH! Everybody needs their own time to enjoy theirselves. Now, if it is just a summer job while your are going to school, then that is a different story. Work all you can in the summer, so you can have plenty of spending $$ during the school year. I actually did this while I was going to college. I was a wildland firefighter, and we had hardly any time off, and even when we were off, they wanted us around in case their was a fire. It sucked, but also was fun as hell, kind of grew on me, but I knew that I only had to work that kind of schedule for a few months, then it was back to school. Now, for a person married or not married and not attending school, you need your time to be with your significant other, or be using that time to socialize and meet that significant other. Or just be hanging with friends for that matter. The $$$ isn't worth the time you miss doing the things that you love. Obviously, it is fine to work a 6-7 day week every once in a while, but IMHO if you work too much you won't have a healthy relationship with your significant other or even your buddies/friends. Look Elsewhere for work! If I was told I had to work 7 days a week, every week, I'd tell them to STUFF IT!

At the job I work at now, I get overtime here and there, and have to be On-Call for a week straight once every 7 weeks, but I have the option of taking my time in pay or compensatory time. I Never take the pay, I'd much rather have the time and a half in vacation time than in pay. I guess this is why I can say I like my Job, I get to take soooo much time off. Infact, here in Utah, the state just passed a mandatory 4 day work week for all state employees. It's supposed to be more economically efficient, and will give the employee the extra day off. I think we will see more and more of this as time goes by.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
6-7 days a week is TOO MUCH! Everybody needs their own time to enjoy theirselves. Now, if it is just a summer job while your are going to school, then that is a different story. Work all you can in the summer, so you can have plenty of spending $$ during the school year. I actually did this while I was going to college. I was a wildland firefighter, and we had hardly any time off, and even when we were off, they wanted us around in case their was a fire. It sucked, but also was fun as hell, kind of grew on me, but I knew that I only had to work that kind of schedule for a few months, then it was back to school. Now, for a person married or not married and not attending school, you need your time to be with your significant other, or be using that time to socialize and meet that significant other. Or just be hanging with friends for that matter. The $$$ isn't worth the time you miss doing the things that you love. Obviously, it is fine to work a 6-7 day week every once in a while, but IMHO if you work too much you won't have a healthy relationship with your significant other or even your buddies/friends. Look Elsewhere for work! If I was told I had to work 7 days a week, every week, I'd tell them to STUFF IT!

At the job I work at now, I get overtime here and there, and have to be On-Call for a week straight once every 7 weeks, but I have the option of taking my time in pay or compensatory time. I Never take the pay, I'd much rather have the time and a half in vacation time than in pay. I guess this is why I can say I like my Job, I get to take soooo much time off. Infact, here in Utah, the state just passed a mandatory 4 day work week for all state employees. It's supposed to be more economically efficient, and will give the employee the extra day off. I think we will see more and more of this as time goes by.[/b]
Heh, I wish I knew how to save up my summer money..Ive spent every dime ive earned this summer on my atv..and I'll be working just enuff during school to make my payments..as soon as christmas comes around..dropping all the money i get from there on my quad again. Its definatly the biggest money pit ive ever had but im loving every second of it and i have no problem putting into it, and its not like Im dropping 10 grand like some people building 501s and stuff..(but i will get to that one of these days) :) good advice none the less

Also..Im too stupid to do it and most are..but invest while your young..start a savings account or something. In 20-30 years you will thank yourself (to those that are in there teens and 20s)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts