Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thinking about changing things around a bit, and wanted to get some input.....

As some of you know, its just me here... and i work a full time job too.... i have been working full time the past 2.5 years since i graduated college, and running Woodward Specialties since 2003.

2007 was a relatively slow year for Woodward Specialties.....due to my lack of effort, and my full time job being rather busy. In the end of 2007, my full time job started to slow down a bit, and i have since been able to put more effort into Woodward Specialties.

2008 has really been steady for Woodwards.... back on track. However my full time job has still been slow. Im stuck working the same hours, and have recently taken a pay cut.
The love of the ATV sport, and the pay cut at work has really put my in high gear, and im at the point that i am considering quitting my full time job and running Woodwards on a full time basis.

The problem is, if i take that jump i really need to get Woodwards bumping through the rest of this year, and then continually grow the company.
My other option is to hang in there at the full time job, and continue to slowly grow Woodwards

Im just curious to hear everyones thoughts on this issue....

i have put alot of thought into it on my own... and im curious, maybe some of you will have opinions, and insight that i have not yet thought of.

So far, im almost dead set on leaving work, and running Woodwards full time.... its gunna be a tough jump, and ill need lots of help from my customers, and members here on the board to help spread my name, and keep us growing.... as word of mouth is the best advertisement.

i have a few things lined up for growth already, but i cant get started with them until i have more time available..... as my day job sucks up most of my time as is... but we have a full line of Snowmobile and dirtbike products at our finger tips.... so we could really being to branch out quickly in the upcomming months...

any input and suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks
Paul Woodward

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Not sure if you know about thumpertalk, or are a member on there but if you get your hands on dirtbike parts thats a pretty big dirtbike website. I mean its 4 stroke but everyone there pretty much hates atvs. Im sure you could get alot of customers off that site as well. Maybe try to spread to other sites as well as much as possible. No offense but the site seems a little outdated. I mean personally I dont mind and loved doing business with you but others may not be drawn to it when they first get to the main page like that of other sites such as rockymountain.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if you know about thumpertalk, or are a member on there but if you get your hands on dirtbike parts thats a pretty big dirtbike website. I mean its 4 stroke but everyone there pretty much hates atvs. Im sure you could get alot of customers off that site as well. Maybe try to spread to other sites as well as much as possible. No offense but the site seems a little outdated. I mean personally I dont mind and loved doing business with you but others may not be drawn to it when they first get to the main page like that of other sites such as rockymountain.[/b]

i have some drastic site changes in the works.... just costs about $1000 for the upgrades and changes.... so i have a lot of parts to sell to be able to do it... but the changes are in the works... thanks for the input

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
thats a tough call really, if your reall commited to woodward and think its worth the risk then i say quit the job and do it

yea the website would be a very nice change its a little confusing BUT its still very managable so i dont think it is really needed at this point, but it might help others and since its easier they might pick you to order from

typically ordering from rmatv, or motosport is more conveinent simply because of how easy the websites are setup and free shipping (over 100)

BUT with your member discount and free shipping as well (over 200) you could be very competative

just get the widest amount of products and the lowest prices you can offer and i believe you will do good i believe and with more time to put to it it will also improve your buisness

either way best of luck to ya

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Just gonna throw this out, For the past 2-3 orders Ive made were thru rocky mountain, (like 20-30$ orders) for all my oil, filter oil, oil filters etc becuz of how easy it is to place an order and i usually get my orders the same time everytime. No time to look at ur site now but do you offer oils and filter maintenance products? If so I'll definatly make all my orders thru u for that kinda stuff now, becuz you still have member discounts and rocky mountain doesnt offer anything better for offers under 100$. Hope it helps but its the most i can do :D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
how much is the member discount?, i ususally get all my oil stuff from rmatv too but it's better to help out a site sponsor btw me and my buddie are gong to be upgrading out clutch springs too so there's some business for ya.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
how much is the member discount?, i ususally get all my oil stuff from rmatv too but it's better to help out a site sponsor btw me and my buddie are gong to be upgrading out clutch springs too so there's some business for ya.[/b]

No idea. it was like 35$ or something like that on my 600 ish$ order, not much but when your ordering small things that wouldnt qualify for free shipping on rocky anyways then no point in ordering from rocky mountain. Also i couldnt find the HP4 oil on your site, can you get that in stock? I wanna keep running the oil and its a good price for me.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
its gotta be very tough to compete with sites like rockymountian. If you quit your job will you be able to get woodward specialties "booming" enough to support you and your family? thats the main thing is can you afford it. And do what you love! no sence in wasting your days at a boring job! atleast have a little fun. i say go for it!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Hey Paul. I'd say go for it! If anyone can do it, you can....

My only suggestion may be for you to start a race team,... maybe just one person on the track getting your name out...

pick and sponsor a fast rider who can represent Woodward...

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just gonna throw this out, For the past 2-3 orders Ive made were thru rocky mountain, (like 20-30$ orders) for all my oil, filter oil, oil filters etc becuz of how easy it is to place an order and i usually get my orders the same time everytime. No time to look at ur site now but do you offer oils and filter maintenance products? If so I'll definatly make all my orders thru u for that kinda stuff now, becuz you still have member discounts and rocky mountain doesnt offer anything better for offers under 100$. Hope it helps but its the most i can do :D[/b]

we do offer oils, filters, etc... no problem... if you cant find em.. just ask... ill gladly send you links to the products.

thanks for the support

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how much is the member discount?, i ususally get all my oil stuff from rmatv too but it's better to help out a site sponsor btw me and my buddie are gong to be upgrading out clutch springs too so there's some business for ya.[/b]

we already have our products on the site set between 10 and 15% off for most manufacturers.

the memberdisc promo code will get you another 5% off.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its gotta be very tough to compete with sites like rockymountian. If you quit your job will you be able to get woodward specialties "booming" enough to support you and your family? thats the main thing is can you afford it. And do what you love! no sence in wasting your days at a boring job! atleast have a little fun. i say go for it![/b]

im border lined now.... cant grow much more without quitting my full time job.... i can only do so much on my own in a day.

but if i quit, i need to bump it up quick to support myself, and my house... luckily in my situation, no kids. Just a longterm girl at my side, however she is currently putting herself through a masters degree.... but she covers her own expenses.

so, its just me, my dog, my bills and mortgage to worry about, as well as the business expenses.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

My only suggestion may be for you to start a race team,... maybe just one person on the track getting your name out...

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.[/b]

im all about a race team at some point... but at the moment... i just dont have the time to work on something like that.....

im just getting by with work, and keeping up with the parts as it is.... but in the future, it will be a great possibility

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

im all about a race team at some point... but at the moment... i just dont have the time to work on something like that.....

im just getting by with work, and keeping up with the parts as it is.... but in the future, it will be a great possibility
[/b]
Do you carry, or can you get the HP4 engine oils and the HP Tranny 80w/85w oil?

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

[/b]
Do you carry, or can you get the HP4 engine oils and the HP Tranny 80w/85w oil?
[/b]

since its Honda... i can order it in from a Honda dealer... its not something i stock... so when your ready, give me about 1-2 weeks notice so i can order it in for you and we wont have to rush

i stock belray, and maxima oils.

·
Registered
11,022 Posts

[/b]

i would gladly be a team rider, i plan on running b class next year, in korhs and some gncc's i cant run all gncc's becuase of distance, but i will be hitting some

and i dont really need anything, all i would ask for is shome shirts and stickers to represent, maybe a huge decal to go on the side of the trailer

typically there are about 70-80 riders in the KORHS events and there are about 10 a year lots of ppl there to spread the word to

·
Registered
2,731 Posts

[/b]

i would gladly be a team rider, i plan on running b class next year, in korhs and some gncc's i cant run all gncc's becuase of distance, but i will be hitting some

and i dont really need anything, all i would ask for is shome shirts and stickers to represent, maybe a huge decal to go on the side of the trailer

typically there are about 70-80 riders in the KORHS events and there are about 10 a year lots of ppl there to spread the word to
[/b]

Sounds like a good opportunity, and itd only cost a few bucks to make a few t-shirts and stickers..and chances are people will see them and get curious and check out the site then see good prices :) then BAM! everyone wins

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
QUOTE(very_fast_450 @ Aug 13 2008, 07:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=543244
<div class='quotemain'>Hey Paul. I'd say go for it! If anyone can do it, you can....

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Sounds like a good opportunity, and itd only cost a few bucks to make a few t-shirts and stickers..and chances are people will see them and get curious and check out the site then see good prices :) then BAM! everyone wins
[/b][/quote]

lol and i could always use some free clothes lol

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
haha... i hear ya... shirts are in the works....

i dont think doing any official race team is in the near future.... my stickers for your bike... no problem[/b]

awesome, if you wouldnt care i will check into getting some big ones made for the trailer ill look it up and see id like to help as much as i can

1 - 20 of 32 Posts