Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently setting up a 450R to race the Pro-AM and 4 stk-A class at the ATVA MX nationals. for the remainder of this season and for the 05 season.

Here is a list of mods done to my 450R

Hot cams Stage 2

Wiseco 13.5/1

FCR 40 MM

Some sort of Intake Be it DS 650 or whatever.

HMF full system

I have no idea how fast this motor will be. I run a modified cannondale now and its just a tad too slow for the holeshots. I was getting 45.6 out of my dale. any idea what my 450R will be putting out. I know the hybrid with the CRF motors in them Haull AZZ.

I was thinking about getting it ported, and the usual valve job etc. Is it worth it?

Any help would be appreciated. :huh:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think you would do pretty good . I mean do you have modified a-arms and swingarm ,shocks ect,ect ??

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I think this bike will be putting out around 44 or 45 ponies maybe more but thats awsome if you ask me :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the chassis stuff goes without saying. But I think I just need to get a little bit more out of the 450R. Not sure how though.

But I am getting Walsh's Savior Rear end with his Avalon + 3 A-arms. They are on order, and should be here next week or so. I will post some pics for everyone.

Does anyone know how much a port job + the 5 angle valve jobs etc. help a built motor??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Every little bit helps, you have to remember an engine is just an air pump. The more air in the more power out. Also the more modified, the harder it is to tune in, and the less forgiving if not properly tuned. Food for thought.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hey man I run nat's as well, 265 and prod c for now, i'm movin up to b next season and am tied for 4th in both classes. In gatorback you raced a #80 Jeff Thompson on a 450R. well he sold that bike and it's not mine as of echonee. Mine has a full TC motor and let me tell you that it absolutley rips!!!!! Contact TC and ast tom all of you're ? about the motor he'll be able to really help you out. plus he is at alot of the races. also baldwin is an excellent source of info. use a 400ex airbox it bolts right up with very little modification to the box. and none whatsoever to the intake housing. I think i'll have to find you at the pits, i really wanna check out the savior linkage settup. I've had no problems with mine I'm running a JB PEP ZPS settup. I've got full JB and PEP TC motor, and it IS the best machine that i have ever ridden. I know i have the bike, now i just need to be a little smoother and i'll be poduming consistantly next season. Her is a link to some pics of my bike
http://community.webshots.com/album/151352219UsjnsJ One thing though take you're CDI and find a new way to mount it, It came off at red bud and dented my radiatior. i saftey wired it back in place, well yesterday during a practice session the wire broke, CDI came off dented the new radiator I'm gonna look into a new system of mounting, and maby fab. a plate or something that i can actually bolt the cdi on to. I'll post pics once i figure it out. If you see a red 20' trailer that says dantonio racing on the side at southwick make sure to say hey.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Sounds like you're headed the right direction on the engine- although you might want to rethink the cam - I'd go a little wilder than what Hotcam has to offer, especially with that kind of compression.

You should also consider contacting Trailtech about their replacement lightweight flywheels, which should help with holeshots, then you'll also probably want a CDI as you will likely have trouble with the stock rev-limit.

·
Registered
133 Posts
you can get around the CDI by droping down to a 36 rear sprocket. But yes a CDI is a must eventually. lighten the flywheel with no other real motor mods, not a good idea, you're "all around" power will be lost.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
No other motor mods? He listed several...

Anyhow - yes, lightening the flywheel on even a stock engine will produce results - however, depending upon your situation & use, the results may or may not be desireable.

A lighter flywheel will allow the engine to rev and accelerate faster -- however, at the expense of possibly affecting idle quality, and making it more prone to stalling (ask YFZ riders about this one).

If your riding style and type permits, a lighter flywheel may be of benefit to even someone riding a basically stock machine --- however, if it were my money, a flywheel wouldn't be the first change I made.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts