Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wandering if i will have to change my shims when i install the hrc cam in the 450r? If so what size? Any info will be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
From what I have heard you will not have to re-shim BUT it doesnt hurt to check and make sure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will check them I just didnt know if i needed to buy some before I started I hated to start and not have the right parts to finish it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can always get a shim pack from your dealer. I dont believe they will cost mroe than $5 for an assortment of them.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
One of the enginebuilders that i spoke to said that just about 50% of the cams he has swapped on these things had at least 1 valve that needed to be reshimed. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
You can always get a shim pack from your dealer. I dont believe they will cost mroe than $5 for an assortment of them.[/b]
Honda's shims are $6.80 a piece. Yamaha YZ450 shims, same size shim, is $6.62 and Suzuki shims, same size, is $8.51 each. They're expensive in a big way. Any time you change cams, 400EX or TRX450R or anything else, ALWAYS set the valves. More than likely, if they are within spec now before the change, they will be afterwards too.

Tony

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Desert --- I don't think the Hotcams shim kit would be a waste even if you don't change cams often but plan on keeping the quad a while (or one that uses the same shims). It would be extremely handy to have around when the time comes to adjust the valves and you find they're a bit off - may save you some significant downtime (or two disassemblies) while you wait for parts ---- if your dealer is anything like the ones around here (i.e. don't stock anything).

Besides, you might just be able to sell some individually to friends that thought the kit was a waste when they need one. At a nominal fee of course

·
Registered
587 Posts
Originally posted by hondared450r@Jul 20 2004, 02:07 PM
Just wandering if i will have to change my shims when i install the hrc cam in the 450r?  If so what size? Any info will be appreciated thanks
They had to change the shims on mine :huh: , it took them forever to get them in... The dealer told me what shims are but i seem to have forgotten, can someone breif me on them? even a picture or link would be nice...

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
They had to change the shims on mine  , it took them forever to get them in... The dealer told me what shims are but i seem to have forgotten, can someone breif me on them? even a picture or link would be nice...[/b]
http://www.hotcamsinc.com/catalog.asp toward the bottom of the page, use the slider bar.

Tony

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Whats the TDC ???

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by Trx450Ryan@Jul 27 2004, 04:45 PM
Whats the TDC ???
top dead center...idk exactly what it means..i wish i knew some1 around me that could show me engines...u can really only learn so much off the intronet

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
is there any way to see a picture, or will this all be in the service manuel, im gettin mine on friday?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
No, because it's different for every engine.

It's something that must be measured and set, that's why the shims are there - to account for machining tolerances and wear, which will be different for each and every engine out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts