Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I’m new here everyone. I see a lot of people doing a kicker conversion to the ER bikes. Especially those building race rigs. My question is why convert to kicker? Also why use 04/05 gear ratios versus 06+? I am going to build a WORCS rig so I’m trying to use as much experience and recommendation as you guys can spare.
Thank you,
-Ian

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
Kicker starts up more reliably imho, less to go wrong no dead battery, less overall wiring since they remove all the electric start stuff and lights usually. Different gearing changes how long the gears are, my quad has 14/38 and I find it much more usable but its not stock however

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Makes sense. I’m sure the weight savings helps some, as well. Is the gearbox the same then? Just the sprocket size varies?

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
Makes sense. I’m sure the weight savings helps some, as well. Is the gearbox the same then? Just the sprocket size varies?
the motors arent interchangable, so you cant use the gearbox/trans on the 06+ from an 04-05

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You wouldn’t happen to know the gear ratios from the two generations would you? Sorry, I’m nerding out a bit over specs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ignore my last comment. I found the answer I was looking for. After 05 Honda built the engine to mirror the CRF’s. Closer gear ratios in the transmission, 12:1 instead of 10.5:1 piston, shorter stroke, bigger bore, taller cam lobes and titanium valves. 40mm FCR carb as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts