Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, what i thought was a bent valve, turned out to be a bad crank...

so here is what happened, i just put a new piston in (baldwin 12.5:1) changed the oil and went for a ride. rode it like 2 hrs, changed the oil again, oil was clean, filter was good. went for another ride and ran excellent. went for a ride the next day and ran fine for like 2 hrs, and i was riding it very hard. we get on a back road and i just started cruising and my friends all took off. about 5 min down the road it started loosing power and the lights started to dim, then it picked right back up i started to reach for my petcock casue i thought i might be out of gas then it clattered a little and that was it, it died. i tried to kick it over and it was nothing. i could kick it by hand.

and now the teardown commences. i was picturing bent valve or something like that. i get the rocker cover off and i already see shavings. i pulled the head and the valves were good, and the piston was at tdc. i pulled the sleeve and all the carnage was in plain sight.

the intake side of my pretty new piston was all gauled, the rings were mashed into the piston and the whole side looked like it was attacked by a mongoose and a 12 year old with a bench grinder. the sleeve has aluminum all over in it (dont know it the nicasil is ruined or not yet) and then i see the crank. there are no thrust washers in it at all and i can see the bearing it totally trashed.

now i proceed to pull the motor and split the cases. the good news is the tranny side was nice and clean and the tranny gears are flawless. now for the bad. the motor side it caked full of shavings. the bottom of the motor looks like a 70s metalflake paint job. the remains of the thrust washers are trapped in a cavity in the bottom ot the side cases...

here is my question... WHY!?!?! what would have casued this? im always full of good oil, i run rotella. i change it all the time. i let it warm up properly before beating on it and never over heat it!

what pisses me off the most is i know of people that have 450s that hardly ever change the oil and just neglect the crap out of them and never have issues, and i do eveything by the book and it go bang! WTF!!

ok rant over

thanks

Eric

·
Oregon Coast Powersports
4,057 Posts
how do your timing chain guides look.

once upon a time my friend put a new piston in.

the tensioner was installed improperly and it burnt the timing chain guides. his bike had similar symptons to yours. it took out the brand new piston and cylinder.

basically the oil passages became blocked with remains of the guides and starved it for oil.

although his crank wasnt hurt?

thats all i've got

·
Registered
391 Posts
Was this a stock bore on your original crankshaft?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how do your timing chain guides look.

once upon a time my friend put a new piston in.

the tensioner was installed improperly and it burnt the timing chain guides. his bike had similar symptons to yours. it took out the brand new piston and cylinder.

basically the oil passages became blocked with remains of the guides and starved it for oil.

although his crank wasnt hurt?

thats all i've got[/b]

guides are fine... it was the crank that came apart and sent metal shavings everywhere...

Was this a stock bore on your original crankshaft?[/b]

yes it was, i kinda like them too, until they died..

Eric

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
most of the crankbearings that go out are on 2005 bikes.

there was just a bad batch of them.. yours seems like one of them.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

there was just a bad batch of them.. yours seems like one of them.[/b]

mine was a big end rod bearing, and i dunno if the bearing went and took the thrust washers, or the TW's went and took the bearing...

so what do i do buy another honda crank and hope the fricker dosent go again?

thanks

Eric

HAHA! i like the creative censorship!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

mine was a big end rod bearing, and i dunno if the bearing went and took the thrust washers, or the TW's went and took the bearing...

thanks

Eric
[/b]
if you buy an oem from honda its gonna cost you big bucks.
go with an heavy duty crank from Hotrods. its under 300.00

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

thanks

Eric
[/b]
if you buy an oem from honda its gonna cost you big bucks.
go with an heavy duty crank from Hotrods. its under 300.00
[/b]

servicehonda.com has the updated crank kit PN:13090-HP1-315 listed for $198.29... i was going to go with that but i didnt want to have this happen again.

is this going to be a problem im going to have to live with?

thanks

Eric

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
does anyone know if the crank gets damage from all of that grinding material in there? or is the crank steel just to strong to get damaged by the washers?

what are you gonna do about the cylinder and piston?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
does anyone know if the crank gets damage from all of that grinding material in there? or is the crank steel just to strong to get damaged by the washers?

what are you gonna do about the cylinder and piston?[/b]

not sure yet, mine has a ton of aluminum stuck to it right now, if i can get that off ill see if the NiCaSil is damaged. right now ir looks like all the material is just stuck to the cyl, but id have a hard time beleiving that there was no damage to the sleeve. if someone is going big bore and wants to trade a decent cylinder for mine since its going to be sleeved anyway id be up for making some sort of deal... why? did you have an idea in mind sandshots?

could i send my crank out and have a new pin and rod bearing installed? i should call TC and see what he can do for me...

thanks

Eric

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

not sure yet, mine has a ton of aluminum stuck to it right now, if i can get that off ill see if the NiCaSil is damaged. right now ir looks like all the material is just stuck to the cyl, but id have a hard time beleiving that there was no damage to the sleeve. if someone is going big bore and wants to trade a decent cylinder for mine since its going to be sleeved anyway id be up for making some sort of deal... why? did you have an idea in mind sandshots?

could i send my crank out and have a new pin and rod bearing installed? i should call TC and see what he can do for me...

thanks

Eric
[/b]

im sure your crank can be fixed. but i dont know how much it will cost or how reliable it will be.
crankworks can do it for you. and for cylinder and piston its a good time to upgrade. go big bore.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

thanks

Eric
[/b]

im sure your crank can be fixed. but i dont know how much it will cost or how reliable it will be.
crankworks can do it for you. and for cylinder and piston its a good time to upgrade. go big bore.
[/b]

alot of people have been saying go with the bb, i just dont know about it yet, the track i ride at dosent check disp. but if i ever go to a national and do get checked i dont want to get nailed for it.

i heard mixed things about crankworks, but ill look into it.

Eric

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
QUOTE(sandshots @ Aug 11 2008, 02:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=542172
<div class='quotemain'>does anyone know if the crank gets damage from all of that grinding material in there? or is the crank steel just to strong to get damaged by the washers?

thanks

Eric
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

alot of people have been saying go with the bb, i just dont know about it yet, the track i ride at dosent check disp. but if i ever go to a national and do get checked i dont want to get nailed for it.

i heard mixed things about crankworks, but ill look into it.

Eric
[/b][/quote]

bbr is selling a crank, i sent you the link.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I would bet the thrust washers went first........are both washers equally worn?
Ill bet the left thrust washer is worse.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would bet the thrust washers went first........are both washers equally worn?
Ill bet the left thrust washer is worse.[/b]
Worn?

I wish, they disintegrated! There was no thrust washer left! They ended up as coiled pieces in the bottom of my case in a cavity at the lowest point! The rest was shavings, all through the motor side... Ill try and get a pic tonight..

Eric

1 - 15 of 15 Posts