Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate taking things I love back to the dealer. Just wondering if I could do it. Or if somebody would like to help me for some money and beer. I heard both stories on it being hard and easy. Please let me know if you have done it and how hard it is. I know you could mess up the timing if your not careful. Thanks

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
:ph34r: if your'e asking yourself whether you can do it or not you prob. shouldnt try it without someone else with experience beside you. I know I cant do it so when I have it done (hopefully xmas time) it will be done by my local stealership

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I have done a cam swap in mine, first time i ever did one, first note i would say is buy the service manual and read all the steps and see from there. I was like you at first, and wasnt sure if i could tackle it, the biggest mistake i made, was forgettin to put a rag under the cam sproket to stop parts from falling, and a part fell, luckily got it out, after removing the whole side casing. There are a few post with alot of helpful instructions, dez had guided it thru me in a post wich i saved, but pc got cleaned up and i dont remember where that post is, best bet would be typing cams in search and read up, and see wat u think.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Well ... I just bought a Service Manual off E-Bay ($36) and I have just about no experience with engines. With the help of the great people on this site, I am hoping to tackle this job over the winter. From what I understand, it isn't a walk in the park, but if you have some common sense it shouldn't be too much of a task either B) If I find a way to screw it up, I always have the guys on here to help me out :D

-Zack-

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Hey zack, just so you know, dont do like it did and skips steps and not read, lol i got lucky, but im warning you, make sure to check clearances before you touch anything, and then after u drop in the new cam, make sure not to get dirt in there or parts, and dont scratch any thing up.

The two things i forgot to do wear watching for dropping parts, and second was to check the clearance before i removed everything, but i gotter done.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i did mine only took about 1 hour nuthin big at all just read your book and you will be fine, might take you a little longer than an hour through it took my buddy 3 hours he had no experince with motors

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Oh yeah ... I have a question -- or two ...

1) I noticed in the manual that they have the cam chain tensioner holder thing - I know people on here did something else ... can you give a step by step on how you took care of this -- and if there is anything important to remember when you tighten it back up again?

2) The auto-decompressor -- does this go on the new cam, or do they come with new ones (this question is regarding a drop-in, aftermarket camshaft)

Thanks guys! B)

Oh, and thanks for the tips Ryan. :D Has anyone heard of any problems with clearances on drop-in cams yet?

-Zack-

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I did mine , it took 20Min for the cam 1Hr for the decompressor bolt

Use heat on it helps to break down the lock tight, and make sure you use lock tight(red) when you put it back same with the cam bolts.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
For the chain tesionner, when u re install it ull need a small flat head, and wind it till the pusher comes all the way in the have sumone hold it in place, once both bolts are torques reloosen it and the let er go and she tensionned, second for the decompressor, yes it does have to be removed and inserted on the new cam, i believe even if the other cam had one ud still need to remove it to pull the cam out of the holder, i know if i ever swap cams ill have a bizniggle gettin it off cuz i kbow the pin is tight in the deconpressor hole, so to my hopes i will no need to remove it lol, by the way im runnin a stage 2 hot cam, and i didnt need to change the shims, but it might be different for you. Also i lost my timing during the install, and to my surprise to set the timing was easy, i figured it out for the first time no prob, i thot it woulda been alot harder.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know som stuff about motors I got the service manual. I know I can do it but I just need some info like people are giving me so it will be a success. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I did mine with the help of a buddy that knows his stuff. I been around motors for a while. And I would not want to do it alone from what I remember.

Does the MI at the end of your name mean Michigan? I live in Michigan maybe I could come over and help.

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
I change cams multiple times daily on a wide variety of vehicles, my suggestion to you is, if you have questions: stop, call (or read), clarify. Be CERTAIN of what you are doing, nothing more expensive than a missed install. Especially if you attempt to start it without rolling it threw first.

Tony

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The MI=Michigan. I live in lower michigan Flat Rock about 25 minutes from detroit on I75 its right off.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by 450rMI@Sep 27 2004, 04:14 PM
I hate taking things I love back to the dealer. Just wondering if I could do it.  Or if somebody would like to help me for some money and beer.  I heard both stories on it being hard and easy.  Please let me know if you have done it and how hard it is.  I know you could mess up the timing if your not careful.  Thanks
Any one of these guy's can help you. I know that 86atc250r, lukester720 and desert_450r all have done it thereselves. So if you have any doubt, just talked to one of those guy's. :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did mine, I would say if you have the money then let the dealer do it. Adjusting the valves requires little shim buttons you have to get from the dealer. Make sure and heat teh loc tite'd bolts. One of my cam bolts came out with no threads left.

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
buy the shim kit from hot cams. i initially called dealers in a 75 mile radius of me and asked about the shims i needed for mine. not one dealer had any in stock. when i then asked what they did for crf tune ups in their service shops, the answers translated to "duh, i dunno". you could always wait a week for orders from service honda, but even with their discount you would only need to do a couple of adjustments before the hot cams kit paid for itself. for me it paid for itself immediately by me not having to wait for or deal with a dealership.

buy the kit and then tell ticeman thanks for bringing it to market.

.............mixxer

·
Registered
88 Posts
Go all the way and get the HRC kit. If you are covered it will be 10% off parts and labor. I am told it costs 299 for the kit and about 270 to put in. If its screwed up they did it and owe you. If you screw it up you are now a spectator or paying for it anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts