Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I went to the local Honda shop and told them I needed a plug so the one he gets me is about 18 bucks with tax. when I went to put it in the numbers were different from the one that was in there, so I put it in anyways, seems to work great. Now when I got home I tried doing a search on what number I should be running cant find anything, the only thing I really found is that on bike bandit when you see what #'s it lists for my 06 trx450e there are four different ones 2 from NGK & 2 from Denso (spl.?) so whats the difference and why?

oh yea and the number for the one I just put in is "IFR8H11" the one I pulled out of the quad was "IFR7L11"

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The IFR7H11 is what came in it stock....but the IFR8H11 (one step colder) is better for high speed riding and what I use in the 07.Either one is perfectly fine for your 06... since you got the IFR8H11 already you might as well stick with it.
The two Denso plugs are basically the same thing (one is standard,the other is one step colder)...but most people use the NGK brand.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The IFR7H11 is what came in it stock....but the IFR8H11 (one step colder) is better for high speed riding and what I use in the 07.Either one is perfectly fine for your 06... since you got the IFR8H11 already you might as well stick with it.
The two Denso plugs are basically the same thing (one is standard,the other is one step colder)...but most people use the NGK brand.[/b]
I have an 06 electric start and 05 kicker so does that apply for both of my bikes

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
The two Denso plugs are basically the same thing (one is standard,the other is one step colder)...but most people use the NGK brand.[/b]
I have an 06 electric start and 05 kicker so does that apply for both of my bikes
[/b]

Nope....the 04/05 kickers came with a IFR8H11 and use a IFR9H11 (NGK plugs) for high speed riding.
I use the IFR9H11 (colder)in my 04.....the same thing applies regarding the Denso plugs (hotter/colder)

·
Registered
144 Posts
so just a question is there a plug you can use that will work fine and doesn't cost $17 a piece for an 05 kicker?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
that sparkplug is expensive, u can pick it up at pepboyz for much cheaper. not sure if theres another brand that is cheaper to use or not. always stuck to the same one.

i dont use no more than 3-4 plugs a yr so its not expensive for me.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
so just a question is there a plug you can use that will work fine and doesn't cost $17 a piece for an 05 kicker?[/b]

These are Iridium plugs and if your even remotely jetted properly...they will last a looong time.I ride fast and hard every time I throw a leg over mine and have only changed my plug once in 4 years.

As for finding a cheaper one....any Iridium plug is going to cost more than a standard one.Even if you could cross reference to find a regular plug to run in it....I would suggest you stick with running what Honda recommends. :yes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
why when it comes stock with the 8H do you go to the 9H? I know you want to run the coldest plug possible so wouldnt you think the 06 with its higher compression would take a very cold plug or is it the opposite?

and yea I got 4 at napa for 11.50 each but I had to buy a 4 pack, I love when I can buy filters and other parts at napa auto parts for ATV's.

lets hear from the experts i.e. Mixxer

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Let me see if I can add any useful info here....

everyone I have read...has 100% accurate information.....

the 04/05 kickers came stock with IFR8H11......whereas the 06/newer machines....came with IFR7L11...

just so ya know...I called NGK on WHAT the difference was between the H symbol and L symbol.....given all the info I have on NGK plugs did not describe any differences...... and their answer was...."I dunno".......

the Number....7 vs 8 vs 9 is the heat range of the plug.....the larger the number....the COLDER the plug.........this has to do with the distance from the electrode to the base.....or basically.....how much heat is stored in the plug during operation..... or better yet....how well the plug DISSIPATES heat during operation..........a 'cold' plug is designed for long range, high speed, operation.... whereas a warm/hot plug...is designed for "easier starting and better response".... yes, I quoted that from a well known spark plug company...........sorry guys....they are WRONG.....

unlike 2-strokes.....it is actually quite RARE that you would foul a plug during warm up....or use..... etc...... 2-strokes foul quite often..... probably due to their design and function... plus the fact they are burning oil along with fuel.......

2-strokes require a specific plug....and sometimes I even have to use a HOTTER plug...... but on a 4-banger...usually quite the opposite......I like to use the coldest plug available....... this eliminates any 'deto' or pre-ignition when using HIGH compression pistons and what not...... plus......they last longer.......

let me dispel some myths...... first off.... in a 4-stroke....or any engine for that matter.... the HEAT range.....has NOTHING/ZERO to do with the ability to start the engine.....it is simply an amount of porcelain/distance the heat must flow in order to transfer the heat to the head......actually to the threads of the plug....but eventually to the head..... now, since it is the HEAD and the water that flows in the head that COOLS the engine......I want my heat transfered as quickly as possible..... this is what a COLD plug does....it transfers the heat rapidly to the head.....hence COOLING the plug......(sorry, but I have been doing this for a long time...and I have never seen an issue with this)...... except for the rare circumstance on a 2-stroke that tends to foul plugs.....(yes, small CC 2-bangers foul plugs.......as do POORLY tuned engines...... it happens)

I am running an IFR9H11..... the coldest plug readily available from NGK...... and yes...I trust NGY for high quality plugs..... this particular plug will probably last you the LIFE of your ATV.......I have been running the same plug for over 2 years..... with several engine tear downs..... Nitrous..... VERY high comp..... etc..... the plug has remained the SAME....

yes......at 20$ per they are expensive....but when you only need ONE every 2-3 years ..... they are well worth it....

jmho.....

p.s...yes, there are other plugs that work..... if you really want a standard tip electrode..... flat blade type....etc... I can give you the alternatives..... only cost a few bux.......... its up to you....

me~

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Let me see if I can add any useful info here....

everyone I have read...has 100% accurate information.....

the 04/05 kickers came stock with IFR8H11......whereas the 06/newer machines....came with IFR7L11...

just so ya know...I called NGK on WHAT the difference was between the H symbol and L symbol.....given all the info I have on NGK plugs did not describe any differences...... and their answer was...."I dunno".......

the Number....7 vs 8 vs 9 is the heat range of the plug.....the larger the number....the COLDER the plug.........this has to do with the distance from the electrode to the base.....or basically.....how much heat is stored in the plug during operation..... or better yet....how well the plug DISSIPATES heat during operation..........a 'cold' plug is designed for long range, high speed, operation.... whereas a warm/hot plug...is designed for "easier starting and better response".... yes, I quoted that from a well known spark plug company...........sorry guys....they are WRONG.....

unlike 2-strokes.....it is actually quite RARE that you would foul a plug during warm up....or use..... etc...... 2-strokes foul quite often..... probably due to their design and function... plus the fact they are burning oil along with fuel.......

2-strokes require a specific plug....and sometimes I even have to use a HOTTER plug...... but on a 4-banger...usually quite the opposite......I like to use the coldest plug available....... this eliminates any 'deto' or pre-ignition when using HIGH compression pistons and what not...... plus......they last longer.......

let me dispel some myths...... first off.... in a 4-stroke....or any engine for that matter.... the HEAT range.....has NOTHING/ZERO to do with the ability to start the engine.....it is simply an amount of porcelain/distance the heat must flow in order to transfer the heat to the head......actually to the threads of the plug....but eventually to the head..... now, since it is the HEAD and the water that flows in the head that COOLS the engine......I want my heat transfered as quickly as possible..... this is what a COLD plug does....it transfers the heat rapidly to the head.....hence COOLING the plug......(sorry, but I have been doing this for a long time...and I have never seen an issue with this)...... except for the rare circumstance on a 2-stroke that tends to foul plugs.....(yes, small CC 2-bangers foul plugs.......as do POORLY tuned engines...... it happens)

I am running an IFR9H11..... the coldest plug readily available from NGK...... and yes...I trust NGY for high quality plugs..... this particular plug will probably last you the LIFE of your ATV.......I have been running the same plug for over 2 years..... with several engine tear downs..... Nitrous..... VERY high comp..... etc..... the plug has remained the SAME....

yes......at 20$ per they are expensive....but when you only need ONE every 2-3 years ..... they are well worth it....

jmho.....

p.s...yes, there are other plugs that work..... if you really want a standard tip electrode..... flat blade type....etc... I can give you the alternatives..... only cost a few bux.......... its up to you....

me~[/b]

on lower compression motors, is it not true that if the plug cools too fast, it will cause carbon deposits not to burn off...... in turn fouling the plug?

but when jetted right these motors run hot enough to run the coldest plug without fouling. :dunno: so that the hotter plugs will burn up faster and could cause some preditination, doing damage to the motor.

i'm running a IFR8H11 now had it in their about a year now.......might have to try one of those 9's and see how long it last.......thinks for the tip...........lol......tip...did he say tip....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
holy crap!! nice info I think the 8 should work good in both bikes, I have actually never replaced the plug on the 05 and its a one kick wonder, still. next question is air cleaners hope I can find an old thread. thanks again

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks for all the great info.. Was just curious if someone was using something that worked just as good but cheaper. Sounds like the recommended plug is the way to go thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts