·
Registered
3,685 Posts
mine is now, and was stock.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by rpm@Jun 27 2004, 03:09 PM
How do you know?  Have you raced a raptor?
I have raced several...my riding buddy has a HMF equipped Raptor. I ride with him every week. when my R was stock and he was jetted with HMf pipe, we were neck and neck with me having a slight advantage. But now that I have some mods, its not even a race, and I have time slips to prove it.....If you take it to the sand, and do some sand drags, you will find the raptor with a even bigger dis-advantage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for sharing that. So the saying, 'there's no replacement for displacement' does not hold true regarding the trx450r vs. raptor comparison?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by rpm@Jun 27 2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks for sharing that.  So the saying, 'there's no replacement for displacement' does not hold true regarding the trx450r vs. raptor comparison?
something like that. thats not really true either...the TRX is alot lighter, and its just simply a more aggressive engine by design......its more race inspired.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I've dusted a couple of raptors too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why would you won't to be riding a old Prehistoric Raptor, or flying with Red Wings on the new 450R. In the woods or on the track there is no comprasion the 450 is much lighter, and a lot faster.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the trx450r was faster, but I wanted to make sure from you guys with experience. I heard the raptor is heaver than the 398lbs that Yamaha specifies. Is the trx450r REALLY only 350lbs?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by rpm@Jun 28 2004, 04:54 PM
I thought the trx450r was faster, but I wanted to make sure from you guys with experience.  I heard the raptor is heaver than the 398lbs that Yamaha specifies.  Is the trx450r REALLY only 350lbs?
yes 350 dry... and the Raptor is 415 not 398.. 398 is what the Yamaha Warior 350 wieghs ..again this is dry weight. with no gas or oil....and no added weight from dirt and mud.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i have a stock 450r and my friend has a stock raptor and we raced down a long rode and i couldnt believe that i was like 3 or 4 atv lengths ahead
at the end and i gave him a little head start .. gotta love red

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have Dyno papers of my dads raptor and it pushed 34 hp with a yoshi full pipe on it. 450r's 39 stock

·
Registered
315 Posts
Got back from the sand dunes this week. My one riding buddy has a Raptor with FMF pipe K&N filter, Hot cams stage 1 and a no airbox lid. My 450 is bone stock. On a stright up drag I would pull him or stay right there neck and neck. When we were riding and rolled on the throttle. I would walk him like a dog!!

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
That's the difference between 1985 technology and 2004 technology. Comparing a Raptor to a TRX450R, is like comparing a 1985 Yamaha XTZ660 to a 2004 Yamaha YZ450F. Or a 1985 Honda XR600R to a 2004 Honda CRF450R. There just isn't a comparison there. The Raptor's engine is from a European motorcycle known as the Te'ne're' or XTZ660. It was first built in 1985 and was the dominate desert racing motorcycle that won the Paris-Dakar Rally every year it was entered until the Factory quit racing the P-D rally. The top end of the engine is virtually unchanged from the motorcycle to the ATV. Can you imagine having that much torque in a motorcycle? They were really fun to ride.

Tony

·
Registered
34 Posts
Originally posted by Ticeman@Jul 15 2004, 04:44 PM
That's the difference between 1985 technology and 2004 technology.  Comparing a Raptor to a TRX450R, is like comparing a 1985 Yamaha XTZ660 to a 2004 Yamaha YZ450F.  Or a 1985 Honda XR600R to a 2004 Honda CRF450R.  There just isn't a comparison there.
So why don't you compare it to a YFZ 450?

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
Just pick up any magazine that has a comparison of the YFZ and TRX in it. They all say pretty much the same thing. If you want to race, buy the YFZ, if you want to trail ride, buy the TRX.

Tony

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your weight has alot to do with it as well. I weigh 225 and just have a slip on
my buddy(raptor ) weighs about 170 he just has a slip on I pull him every gear
and get about 4 to 5 lengths on him

now my other buddy (raptor also) weighs about the same as me but has a full
lrd airbox mod and jet kit and is tuned perfect and the results are the exact
opposite...

keeping in mind I just have a slip on thats it no other mods, except stickers:)
and powdercoated wheels, all extra weight!!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts