Honda TRX 450R banner

Which cam with a big bore set up

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  mx333 
#1 ·
Hey Im getting the CW BB With a Venom 14.25:1 piston I have a HC2 cam in right now and the head is getting ported as well, should I use the HC2 or invest in the HC3 or somthing different? Its an 05

#6 ·
Ok ill get the stg3 cam, now for a different question should i get the +3 crank with that set up or will i have to upgrade to many parts, like clutch, gears, and so forth or will it be ok to keep running the stocker?

#7 ·
You will be fine without it but if you want a little more midrange and torque, the +3 stroker crank would be a nice addition.

No other parts needed other than mayby some new gaskets for the bottom end, an oil pump circlip, and Id stuff some new OEM Honda main bearings and seals in there while your there.

Your only concern is do you or someone you know have the know how and tools to tear down completely the engine and get it back together properly. If so, then do the +3. You will have the cost of the crank shipped to you (say $280.00 or so), than about $100.00 from Honda on the bearings, seals, and gaskets...

#10 ·
theres a couple CW cylinders hanging around thats stroked as well, and they've worked fine so far, theres been failures aswell, but i thought they was the yfz's

go with the stage 3, its a great revving cam, its got more personalty then the stage 2, and u wont even notice the loss in bottom end, i know i didnt,

#11 ·
thanks guys for the suggestions. about the cw can, ive been reading and have found that most of the failures have been on yfz's the honda can has done very well on the 05 set up.

#12 ·
i dont believe the cw cylinder is strong enough to run a stroker crank with, is it? i thought there was several broken cylinders aleady from people running both.[/b]

please.... post pictures if you have a 04/05 TRX with a cracked cylinder works cylinder.... so far , everyone seems to spread this rumor, but nobody can provide me proof.....

im sure you most likely reffering the cracked YFZ cylinders.... please do not confuse the two... as they are completely different. from my knowledge, not 1 cracked trx cylinder so far... even with the stroker and 14.25:1 piston.... i have sold 5-6 of these packages so far, with no problems.

#14 ·
i have a buddy with a yfz with a hr +3 crank and a cw cylinder with no problems with 13:1, also a friend with a +3 crankworks crank with a cw bigbore with 14:1 and it runs fine with out problems he even went from a n-motion cylinder because it was leaking coolant though the oil return stud(right front) and it runs just as good with the cw as it does the n-motion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.