Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As everyone knows, the yfz sits ALOT lower than the 450r ..Ok maybe not ALOT lower but you get the idea. And i was wondering what is the reasons that the 450r sits higher? Is it just the shocks or does anything else go into play. Because they are the same width right?

Also, if one wanted to could yfz shocks be used on a 450r to lower the bike or would they not fit?

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
shocks probably wont work.

every bike from every manufacture are settup diffrent.
i dont know why the yfz sits lower but if you wanted you can lower your honda as well.
both yfz and trx suspensions are way stiff IMO. an aftermarket settup or stock revalving is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

i dont know why the yfz sits lower but if you wanted you can lower your honda as well.
both yfz and trx suspensions are way stiff IMO. an aftermarket settup or stock revalving is the way to go.[/b]
Well, personally I feel that my friends yfz is ALOT softer and obviously sits alot lower stock without any adjustments. Thats the only thing I hate about the 450rs. I was leaning towards a revalve but was just exploring all the options first because I figured If i could get the stock yfz shocks on mine it would make the bike alot more enjoyable. It just bounces around and sits way too high for my liking. Ive heard that you can put different brand shocks on the 400ex's and ive also heard people putting 300ex shocks on yfzs for dragging. Found a few good deals on some stock yfz shocks so I'll have to do some more research.

·
YamaWho?
1,487 Posts

both yfz and trx suspensions are way stiff IMO. an aftermarket settup or stock revalving is the way to go.[/b]
Well, personally I feel that my friends yfz is ALOT softer and obviously sits alot lower stock without any adjustments. Thats the only thing I hate about the 450rs. I was leaning towards a revalve but was just exploring all the options first because I figured If i could get the stock yfz shocks on mine it would make the bike alot more enjoyable. It just bounces around and sits way too high for my liking. Ive heard that you can put different brand shocks on the 400ex's and ive also heard people putting 300ex shocks on yfzs for dragging. Found a few good deals on some stock yfz shocks so I'll have to do some more research.
[/b]
you can back off you preload on the springs and it will lower it conciderably for stock shocks, you'll just have to tighten up you compression a lil bit to keep you from bottoming out on everything. the yfz shocks wont work on the trx's the upper mounts are a little different, the yfz's are a little wider than the trx's.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

[/b]
you can back off you preload on the springs and it will lower it conciderably for stock shocks, you'll just have to tighten up you compression a lil bit to keep you from bottoming out on everything. the yfz shocks wont work on the trx's the upper mounts are a little different, the yfz's are a little wider than the trx's.
[/b]
After everything ive been told about the stock springs I still am confused. So should i LOOSEN the rings on the top of the spring causing the spring to extend and become longer. OR do i tighten the rings to compress and shorten the spring.

·
YamaWho?
1,487 Posts
QUOTE(sandshots @ Aug 4 2008, 07:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=539291
<div class='quotemain'>shocks probably wont work.

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

After everything ive been told about the stock springs I still am confused. So should i LOOSEN the rings on the top of the spring causing the spring to extend and become longer. OR do i tighten the rings to compress and shorten the spring.
[/b][/quote]

you would loosen them, loosening them releases pressure on the springs that causes the bike drop.
so you want the rings towards the top of the shock body.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE(r450er @ Aug 4 2008, 08:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=539323
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

you would loosen them, loosening them releases pressure on the springs that causes the bike drop.
[/b][/quote]

Alright thanks, finally got that cleared up so now I can go attempt it.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
QUOTE(r450er @ Aug 4 2008, 08:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=539323
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

thats what i said in a thead not too long ago and people were saying i was wrong you are supposed to tighten the rings down to lower it

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
QUOTE(wishiwerfishinn @ Aug 4 2008, 08:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=539326
<div class='quotemain'>
QUOTE(sandshots @ Aug 4 2008, 07:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=539291
<div class='quotemain'>shocks probably wont work.

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

thats what i said in a thead not too long ago and people were saying i was wrong you are supposed to tighten the rings down to lower it
[/b][/quote]

Omg why did i read this now im confused lol. So both of you say you loosen them to lower the height..Imma do that..Even if its wrong i'll learn lol

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
ya i think its loosen them to the top

·
YamaWho?
1,487 Posts
ya i think its loosen them to the top[/b]
yes! the closer the rings are to the top of the shock body the lower the bike will sit.

think about it, the tighter the spring the harder it is pushing on the top and bottom of the shock, causing the two ends to push further away... causing the bike to rise. and vice versa

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yes! the closer the rings are to the top of the shock body the lower the bike will sit.

think about it, the tighter the spring the harder it is pushing on the top and bottom of the shock, causing the two ends to push further away... causing the bike to rise. and vice versa
[/b]
Yah i hate school and that doesnt make much sense but I trust you enuff to where I'll go take the time to try it. I dont really have the time right now..as its late and I have a cold so...how much lower do you think it will go? My compression or w/e on the shocks and piggybacks are all the way to soft right now, should I turn them about 2-3 turns back to hard?

·
YamaWho?
1,487 Posts

[/b]
Yah i hate school and that doesnt make much sense but I trust you enuff to where I'll go take the time to try it. I dont really have the time right now..as its late and I have a cold so...how much lower do you think it will go? My compression or w/e on the shocks and piggybacks are all the way to soft right now, should I turn them about 2-3 turns back to hard?
[/b]
yea turn them in... otherwise you'll be bottoming out on almost anything.

G

·
thanks for the good info. i have been wondering how to make it lower for a while. i just havent had time to mess with it

·
Registered
591 Posts
thanks for the good info. i have been wondering how to make it lower for a while. i just havent had time to mess with it[/b]

Never run your hard/soft settings at one extreme or the other, always leave one click from the maximum.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
thanks for the good info. i have been wondering how to make it lower for a while. i just havent had time to mess with it[/b]

Never run your hard/soft settings at one extreme or the other, always leave one click from the maximum.
[/b]

that is correct too.... either tightening or loosening all the way can cause the shock to sieze up when using. they are also correct in the fact you want to loosen the preload to lower your ride height.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone know if any other brand shocks work on the trx? KFX, LTR, DS etc? The Kfx's shocks look somewhat similar at the mounting. No idea on the DS, but i doubt the LTR would fit with how the piggybacks are angled and stock LTRs are like 17.5" and stock trxs are like 15 so it wouldnt lower me right? All the other brands stock shocks springs are all compressed and they all feel better and lower than the trx, should mine be compressed?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts