Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my 450r for about 6 or 7 months and i ride it just about once a week for about 4 to 6 hours. when should i djust my valves. i am pretty sure i should have already and i am going to get my valves adjusted in 1 or 2 weeks but whens the next time i should do it and the next after that. does the time between each take longer.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
can you hear any loud abnormal ticking? i have heard alot of people have alot of hours on theirs when they decide to change their cams out with the HRC cam & while they are in there they check their valves...so far no one has had to change them out that I have seen on the internet so your prob. fine unless you hear loud ticking

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Usually when valves are going to go south, they go quick. You may start to notice abnormally hard starting when cold, then it will be hard to start when hot, and by that time you are usually to late. You can shim them a little bit to put them back into specs, but just spend the money and do it right and replace them if need be.

But to answer your question...
On every 4 stroke I have owned (the TRX is my 7th) I have checked the valves on all of them after I felt the motor was well broken in. Once you check them and they are in spec. you can prevent valve failure by keeping fresh oil in it, keeping it off the rev limiter, and make sure your filter/airbox/air boot is always cleaned well.

Hope this helps you out a little bit...

Dave

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys and my bike starts first kick and makes no wierd noises so i guess i am fine but i will probably do it anyway

·
Registered
110 Posts
my service manual says after 200 hours according to honda

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I always tell my self if it is running good no need to go into the engine. I keep fresh oil in it every 2 rides so that makes me feel better about it.
Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just checked the clearance between the valves and the cam and my exhaust valve are within tolerance. But my intake (which is the one directly under the cam) is really tight. I found it slightly harder to start and would not AT ALL idle properly. I have the HRC cam. Anyone else having this problem? Also, I did not have any kind of weird sounds coming from the motor. IMO, it might be a good idea to check it out over winter. Preventive maintaince can never hurt.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
Dave

I can't take your avatar anymore. :blush: It's killing me. :excl: I just wanna know where this was at because I'm moving there! Tomorrow! Maybe even now.

Tony (I hope she likes motorcycles and ATVs)

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I would think the valves would need to be adjusted sooner or later. I know it's not a 400ex, but is there a certain time or hour for the valves to be adjusted????

Rico

·
Registered
132 Posts
Off the top of my head, I don't know. I'm sure somewhere in the owner or shop manuals it will have under the maintance section

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Crash929@Nov 3 2004, 03:38 PM
I think the owners manual says to check them the first 20 hrs & then every 100 hrs after that.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=28226
[/quote]
yes, I believe it is 20 hours. I had about 25 when I installed my hot cam. I did have to reshim three of the four and the decompretion clearance was loose, maybe thats why I was having trouble starting. I'v also noticed that after the cam install I hear tapping that was not there before. A mechanic friend of mine told me that he has talk to someone at Hot cams and they stated it was normal. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the Avatar fellas. I took the pic about a month ago at Lake Havasu. :D

I just installed my Hotcam and prior to install, the top end sounded like it was going to rattle apart. It was super noisy. I installed the Hotcam and the top end is very quiet but I also hear that little ticking. I was one of the lucky ones and did not have to re shim any of the vales. I was also told the ticking noise is normal.

Dave

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, I put my new shims on my intake valves Saturday. I went from 170 to a 155. And they're still a little tight. Like I said before, I a trouble idling. Not any more. I swear I just picked up 20hp. I was track today, and the first few laps I was over jumping everything. I had to slow up. I will be checking the valve clearance next weekend to make sure everything is within tolerance.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Mine never ticked untill friday. I just got back from dropping mine of at the dealer and they are going to adjust my valves for $50 bucks. And go over the rest of the motor and carb to make sure its tip top. Mine has about 9-10 tanks of gas threw it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I talk to my honda dealer today and they told me. I need a new camshaft and a rocker arm. My HRC kit was installed by them the day I got my 450. It will be covered under warenty. My 450 is 5-1/2 months old.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts