Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I was just wondering is Yamaha really that bad? Well not bad but why do you guys Prefer Honda on here? Honestly they don't look to bad in my opinion. But what about motor wise? What years should I stay away from? Or what years should I buy?

·
450 **** Raiser
2,165 Posts
Whats wrong with yamaha? Deep down? THEY ARE PURE JUNK! Honda has reliability.. Yamaha had cheaply made parts. Honda has good engineers.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I think it's a personal preference. My buddy has a YFZ450, And took it for about a 30 minute spin and it's just something about it, I don't like the feel of it. Me personally, I like the looks of the R than the yfz. But both Honda and Yamaha have their ups and downs. I know the 2001's 660r Raptors have transmission problems with 2nd gear. I believe but in 2002 they started fixing it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there certain years to stay away from? I'm not sure exactly what years but I think it was the 03-05 with the oil pump problems? What about 06+? I've been researching and I'm looking at a 07 anything bad you guys can think of for that year?

·
Super Moderator
2,534 Posts
There Are Plenty Of Yamaha's Out There That Are Still Running From Many Years Ago, Just Like Honda... There Are Also Plenty Of Yamaha's Competitive In All Forms Of Racing.

I Would Say Do Your Research To Find Common Problems (Honda Has Them Too), Ride A Couple At Different Stages Of "Built", & Make Your Own Decision.

If You Ask The Same Question On A YFZ, You Will Get Biased Answers The Other way

·
Registered
449 Posts
Stay away from the 04-05...they have a crank oiling issue

Anything 06 and up is fine

·
Registered
708 Posts
All I can say is ford vs Chevy buddy. But this is a Honda forum so maybe folks are a little biased...
Are you trying to say their diesels are both inferior to Dodge? lol.

I like Hondas because I've ridden them all my life, never had a major problem with any of em. Had a couple Suzukis, Yamahas, and Kawis. But I fly the Red flag, always will, nothing beats the reliability of a Honda.

·
Registered
202 Posts
original yfz450 tranny and heads/valves are among the longest lasting of any of the 450s. You'll find 100 honda tranny issues before you find a yamaha one (on the 450s).

If you get the 07+ ones you have the oil mod and the true 450cc (06 only has the 450 and doesn't have the oil squirter that shoots at the crank). Although, if you are not modding it much, the original motors are also fine if you perform regular maintenance.

We've owned both yfz450s and trx450s and even built a yfz/trx hybrid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you trying to say their diesels are both inferior to Dodge? lol.

I like Hondas because I've ridden them all my life, never had a major problem with any of em. Had a couple Suzukis, Yamahas, and Kawis. But I fly the Red flag, always will, nothing beats the reliability of a Honda.
Inferior now yes that would be accurate, But the 7.3 Powerstroke is king and always will be.

·
Truck Yea
5,438 Posts
I honestly see more yamahas needing repair than hondas. My buddy repairs stuff on the side and constantly has yamahas but few hondas in for repair. Area I ride in there are more hondas running around as well too.

Generally speaking what I dont like about yamaha:
-They dont use gaskets on the cases, just liquid gasket sealer (SCREAMS CHEAP!!!!)
-Try and take one apart, much more complicated
-The YFZ especially lacks torque, my stupid worked 400ex felt like it had more lol
-They change things way to often, which makes parts harder to find. Honda builds it good the first time usually.
-The raptor is a heavy turd

They dont make horrible stuff, just not my cup of tea in the end. Course I am biased, I only ride red and wouldnt consider much anything else either.

Reactions: bvet4dog

·
Registered
708 Posts
I honestly see more yamahas needing repair than hondas. My buddy repairs stuff on the side and constantly has yamahas but few hondas in for repair. Area I ride in there are more hondas running around as well too.

-They dont use gaskets on the cases, just liquid gasket sealer (SCREAMS CHEAP!!!!)
-The YFZ especially lacks torque, my stupid worked 400ex felt like it had more lol
-They change things way to often, which makes parts harder to find. Honda builds it good the first time usually.

They dont make horrible stuff, just not my cup of tea in the end. Course I am biased, I only ride red and wouldnt consider much anything else either.

Going on that last part, Raptors (700s) are actually quite light. 440Lbs or so, which puts it just over what an LTR weighs, but with 250 more ccs. Pumped up Raptors are king, banshees and 450s wont touch em. Only thing they are bad at until you dump a lot of money is MX. But a good rider can ride no matter

·
Truck Yea
5,438 Posts
Going on that last part, Raptors (700s) are actually quite light. 440Lbs or so, which puts it just over what an LTR weighs, but with 250 more ccs. Pumped up Raptors are king, banshees and 450s wont touch em. Only thing they are bad at until you dump a lot of money is MX. But a good rider can ride no matter
When I said heavy I was comparing it to a 450, LTR not with standing. Theres almost a 40lb difference. 250cc more or not when your vehicle weighs so little already weight can make all the difference.

Ive raced my fair share of raptors, they havent won...maybe Im just a good racer?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I owned one its a great quad noting bad that I can say I am talking about a 2008 yfz450! I would say get a yfz450 the 2007+ once only. Have fun

·
Registered
202 Posts

No center case gasket is the opposite of cheap. It means your cases are matched (not like honda cases), so the seal and tolerances are going to be tighter. This is superior tech.

They are no more complicated than a trx450...all the same parts just about (and yes I've pulled both completely apart multiple times).
The 5valve head is absolutely amazing for bottom end response and torque. That is the one thing we miss on our built hondas.

·
Registered
708 Posts
When I said heavy I was comparing it to a 450, LTR not with standing. Theres almost a 40lb difference. 250cc more or not when your vehicle weighs so little already weight can make all the difference.

Ive raced my fair share of raptors, they havent won...maybe Im just a good racer?

So a Big Bore kit does nothing for a quad? and "racing" doesnt usually involve fairness. A stock 450r Honda vs a 700 Raptor = Tight race. and anything over 300 feet and the Raptor will win hands down.

I have a friend with the "Big 3" done, Intake, Exhaust, Programmer and when we race I pull him 1,2,3. By the time I switch to 4th he is starting to catch up and 5th he is leading. Also, he weighs about 75lbs more than me : D

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
its pretty sad when a 700 is barely faster than a 450. the 04/05 YFZ was a disaster of a quad if you ask me. hate the swingarm and chain adjustment, the motors lack reliability. there is no oil getting to the wrist pin. the 07 and 08 would be the best IMO. the subframes are a joke on the YFZ... all years. one thing I cant stand is how the front of the frame has no rake so the a-arms sit flat to the ground. as far as riding them they feel awkward. feels like the seat sits flat with the handle bars so I feel hunched over the whole time riding them. this is all just my opinion though. I hate everything about the YFZ. just stay away from the 04/05 yfz, don't see very many of them around for a reason.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
So a Big Bore kit does nothing for a quad? and "racing" doesnt usually involve fairness. A stock 450r Honda vs a 700 Raptor = Tight race. and anything over 300 feet and the Raptor will win hands down.

I have a friend with the "Big 3" done, Intake, Exhaust, Programmer and when we race I pull him 1,2,3. By the time I switch to 4th he is starting to catch up and 5th he is leading. Also, he weighs about 75lbs more than me : D
so a raptor has those mods and still loses to your 450 til 5th gear and you are bragging about how fast they are? im confused :ermm:

1 - 20 of 110 Posts