Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 480 kit in now and I will be running a 12:5:1 comp piston. I know I have to run 91 octane or higher fuel but whats rong if I had to put in regular 87 evry so often? like there are some locations on long rides that only offer regular fuel. lets say one tank out of 5 will be 87 octane maybe. Will it do dammage? I dont see how.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
If the engine detonates you can do alot of damage... I do believe thats how I broke by rod last year... I had a 12.5 Piston running 87 and at about half a tank through it she let go... there was fracture marks in the piston as well... I dont advise running it... I have to drive half an hour to a station that carries premium and if i dont have gas at home i dont run it... Not worth chancing it...

Do a search on Toulene i bought some awhile back and never got around to trying it... but it supposed to be a great octane booster...

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
i ran a tank.. but it was -30 degress and mix heavy with octane booster..

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
i have ran it twice i think with no problems

·
450R Rider
1,148 Posts
I tell ya what man, you run some low octane gas in there and let me know how it works. There are a few things in life you dont cheap out on.

1. Good fuel
2. Good oil
3. Good beer
4. Good condoms

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k well you got me all convinced. I might as well spend a lil more than a hole lot more when it blow again. I might even pick up a IMS tank to go further.

And by the way. I run 94 sunoco not 91.

THANKS

oh is 94 ok?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got a 480 kit in now and I will be running a 12:5:1 comp piston. I know I have to run 91 octane or higher fuel but whats rong if I had to put in regular 87 evry so often? like there are some locations on long rides that only offer regular fuel. lets say one tank out of 5 will be 87 octane maybe. Will it do dammage? I dont see how.[/b]

i like the leaded fuels helps cool but the lead helps to keep the valves from banging out cushions the valves seat and face ... just my 2 cents

1 - 12 of 12 Posts