Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i recently blew up my tranny and have been some research on building a better one. durring the research i have discovered that people are cryogenicaly freezing their trannys to make them stronger.

anyways my question is whats the difference between freezing and heating materials, becides the obvious one is heated and the other is cooled? does it have to do with heating things up makes them grow and cooling them down shrink them? is the answer even more simple than that or is much more complex?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In the Aircraft industry pretty much everything is heat treaded.[/b]
i understood that they were both hardening processes i was wondering why they were cooling gears. while in my industry for cutting puropses we heat treat everthing.

just curious if it makes a difference on a molecular level, maybe its because of the tolerances, maybe something to do with the oil? just a curious question

·
Grandaddy
1,156 Posts
i have lots of stuff cryoed at cryopro, they freeze whatever @ like 300 below for a period of time then bring it back up slowly, it is a cheap process that works, my machinest has a fit everytime i bring him something to work on that has been treated, i have done several lowerend parts, bearings ,cranks, trannys, etc, i even done the cases!

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
'someone' has to know what is the BEST process....for hardening....

ive heard terms like 'case hardened'.....and the metal looks kinda 'gold'....etc...

or Cryo treated..... etc.....

but I am not a 'metallurgist'...so I have no fricken clue what is actually the BEST process.....or how it is performed...or the cost difference.......

however...I would LOVE to learn from anyone that could inform us on these processes...and what they actually accomplish and HOW.....

thanx in advance......me~

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
This is a good question, and I've asked myself the the same thing when I first heard of this method of hardening parts.

I'm curious to know!.....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just a lil fyi

i talked to an engineer today who works with heat treated cutting parts everyday and he knew nothing about cryo products except for that it is suppost to be harder.

the baisc thing i gathered from the link above is that cryo is the same as heat treating except for where the cooling process of heat treating stops the cryo process continues down to -300

1 - 9 of 9 Posts