Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for valves and all I can find is KB's. Are there any other ones out there? I read somewhere that CRF450 valves fit and are +1's but I'm not sure what year crf450 valves I need. Also, do I need to get springs and all that? I've never fooled with valves before and I just want to get this girl going again

·
Truck Yea
5,331 Posts
ferrea

·
Truck Yea
5,331 Posts
Where do I get the Ferrea valves? All I can find are the 04-05's. The Ferrea website says that it has 2002 - 2006 TRX 450 valves, which confuses me
Honestly my machine shop guy got them for me last time. No idea where he sourced them, but I can tell you he bought oversized ones. Kibble white is fine as well. I were you I would see about having the head redone and cleaned up, after some time the guides and seats need work

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,031 Posts
How much time is on the head? Like CJM said, if there are a lot of hours on the head it’s worth sending it in and having it freshened up. You don’t “need” springs, but if you are going through the effort it is a good idea to throw new OEM springs on it. If you are throwing a big cam in there then you will definitely need an aftermarket spring kit from KW or WebCam. I like Ferrea valves myself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much time is on the head? Like CJM said, if there are a lot of hours on the head it’s worth sending it in and having it freshened up. You don’t “need” springs, but if you are going through the effort it is a good idea to throw new OEM springs on it. If you are throwing a big cam in there then you will definitely need an aftermarket spring kit from KW or WebCam. I like Ferrea valves myself.
Honestly my machine shop guy got them for me last time. No idea where he sourced them, but I can tell you he bought oversized ones. Kibble white is fine as well. I were you I would see about having the head redone and cleaned up, after some time the guides and seats need work
Which KBs? SS or titanium? I've never fooled with valves, so I'm not real sure on what to order on these jewels.

I bought the 450 last year from the 2nd owner. I'm not sure how many hours it has on the head. Who would I send it to for a refreshing? I'm not sure of any that does that local, so I'll have to pull off the head and ship it. Might as well throw in a stock compression CP piston too eh? I thought about sending the head to Dasa for their port and polish + 5 angle valve job.

·
Truck Yea
5,331 Posts
SS valves for sure. I’m not sure who still operates a machine shop these days. Used to be a few guys on here like Dynomite performance, Oregon coast power sports and racers edge. I know for sure racers edge is still around and does good work. You could also go to dasa, ct racing or anyone else you like.

Me, I’d send the head to be redone and do the valves and guides. Then have them do a mild port job

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SS valves for sure. I’m not sure who still operates a machine shop these days. Used to be a few guys on here like Dynomite performance, Oregon coast power sports and racers edge. I know for sure racers edge is still around and does good work. You could also go to dasa, ct racing or anyone else you like.

Me, I’d send the head to be redone and do the valves and guides. Then have them do a mild port job
Thanks CJM. I'll contact Dasa about all this whenever I get my bike tore down in the next month. Glad to see there are still helpful people around this site.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,031 Posts
I don’t mean any offense, but if you aren’t familiar with the head and valves and everything required to build a head properly, it’s best to leave it to a shop like one of the ones mentioned above. Discuss with them your power goals, type of riding, and budget and they can make some recommendations for you, and then it’s just a matter of you checking your clearances, and assembling the motor.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don’t mean any offense, but if you aren’t familiar with the head and valves and everything required to build a head properly, it’s best to leave it to a shop like one of the ones mentioned above. Discuss with them your power goals, type of riding, and budget and they can make some recommendations for you, and then it’s just a matter of you checking your clearances, and assembling the motor.
Yeah, I'm not doing the work myself. I try to find the cheapest parts possible then let someone put them in for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts