Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new trx450r and I want to change the tranny oil. My dealer said I should use the 80W but the owners manuel says 20-50. Which one, I bought both anyways?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
use the honda trans oil
it works great that is what i use

·
Registered
24 Posts
The 80w trans oil says its for Two strokes only I have always used the 10-40 in my four strokes with no problem. I will continue to use the same in my 450r

·
Registered
953 Posts
HP Trans is the stuff. Whats the difference between a 2 stroke tranny and a 4 stroke tranny? Probably very little if anything at all! I'm using it now and noticed a difference when I changed over to it. The dealer even recommended it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Moving this to the "Maintenance" forum

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
redline 5w-30 in the crankcase

redline 10w-40 in the transmission

full synthetic in everything i own, even the lawnmower :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
motuls 10 /40 full syn motor, golden spectro SAE80 trans. been running this combo for the past 10 or so changes, very happy B) B) i run syn in all as well, like mixxer,even generator(and its a honda to) which we really need here in florida

·
Registered
572 Posts
Originally posted by fugitive1@Dec 6 2004, 06:25 PM
The 80w trans oil says its for Two strokes only I have always used the 10-40 in my four strokes with no problem. I will continue to use the same in my 450r
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37269
[/quote]

That is a old label on the HP TRANS OIL.Now that the crf450 & trx450 use two seperate oil sumps we can use the good stuff. :D Don't use it in a 4 stroke eng that uses the same oil for the eng & trans.TRY IT YOU WILL LIKE IT :D

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Originally posted by RIDE RED+Dec 21 2004, 01:43 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-fugitive1
@Dec 6 2004, 06:25 PM
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=37269
That is a old label on the HP TRANS OIL.Now that the crf450 & trx450 use two seperate oil sumps we can use the good stuff. :D Don't use it in a 4 stroke eng that uses the same oil for the eng & trans.TRY IT YOU WILL LIKE IT :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=41384
[/b][/quote]

The Honda trans oil is good, I have used many of times in the past but I would rather use a thinner oil like 10/40 than the thicker stuff like 80w. Why give up the HP with thick oils when you can run thinner ones and have just as much if not more protection??? IMO run a 10w40 full synthetic and free up some HP???JMO

·
Registered
46 Posts
DO NOT USE A SYNTHETIC OIL IN THE TRANS, USE A NON SYNTHETIC 20-50 UP TO A 80 WT DEPENDING ON THE CONDISIONS YOU RIDE IN. THE REASON IS A SYNTHETIC OIL HAS MATERIALS IN IT THAT DONT BOND WITH THE CLUTCH DISKS... I WOULD SUGGEST USING A FULL SYNTHETI ON THE ENGINE SIDE.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Originally posted by Sin City Vogel@Jan 13 2005, 12:17 PM
DO NOT USE A SYNTHETIC OIL IN THE TRANS, USE A NON SYNTHETIC 20-50 UP TO A 80 WT DEPENDING ON THE CONDISIONS YOU RIDE IN. THE REASON  IS A SYNTHETIC OIL HAS MATERIALS IN IT THAT DONT BOND WITH THE CLUTCH DISKS... I WOULD SUGGEST USING A FULL SYNTHETI ON THE ENGINE SIDE.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48886
[/quote]

Hmmmmmmmm.....Please explain your reasoning in detail for all to read my friend

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Sin City Vogel@Jan 13 2005, 12:17 PM
DO NOT USE A SYNTHETIC OIL IN THE TRANS, USE A NON SYNTHETIC 20-50 UP TO A 80 WT DEPENDING ON THE CONDISIONS YOU RIDE IN. THE REASON  IS A SYNTHETIC OIL HAS MATERIALS IN IT THAT DONT BOND WITH THE CLUTCH DISKS... I WOULD SUGGEST USING A FULL SYNTHETI ON THE ENGINE SIDE.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=48886
[/quote]
funny, Redline synthetic 10w-40 has been working better then well in my 450r tranny.....My clutch dont ever slip....also Ive had this 450r since the end of last January...almost a year.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Im using Rotella T diesel Engine oil in my Trans.....

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Originally posted by KillerQuad@Jan 16 2005, 06:08 PM
Im using Rotella T diesel Engine oil in my Trans.....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=49882
[/quote]

That Rotella T is some awesome chit man, I use it to lube the muffler bearings on my 450 all the time
. I use the Quaker State high milage oil in my trans though
. To each his own i guess.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thats funny, I used Amsoil 20-50 synthetic in my 250R for about 4 years and out of anyone I know, I think I have the littlest wear and least clutch problems out of all.
ERIC

·
Registered
23 Posts
Syn oils won't hurt it, Moly oils will make the clutch start to slip after a certain amount of time, when the Moly builds up. Of course the dealer will recommend the most expensive oils they have. At 2 rides between changes, you can run Wal-Mart special oil and not have a problem. I bought Honda for the 1st change, now I'll buy some sort of full-syn from Wal-Mart or Kmart. Filters were bought online $3.75 a piece, not $14 from a dealer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts