Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What shim size to expect on NEW head and NEW valves? Just curious as my intakes seem to be coming in quite low for a new head and valves?

I am measuring a 1.825 for the intakes (meaning .228mm clearance with a 1.75mm shim installed now)

On the exhaust on one side a 2.80 (2.35mm shim and .712mm clearance) and a 2.95 (2.45mm shim and .762 clearance) on the other. That sounds more normal to me.

my concern is this is also an older 208 camshaft. Isn't that a reduced base circle? If that is the case then I would be even lower on the intakes with a normal cam correct? :cry:

Also I was looking at my retainers and found that the recess in the intake side is way deeper than the exhaust is this normal? I have always just swapped them back where they were. Is it possible they are swapped intake and exhaust? Just to be clear the exhaust are allot shallower where the shims rest.

Help me please I was going to get this thing clayed up and running but now am at a standstill.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
cant remember if the stems are same diameter. retainer is a retainer. if they look located differently, that would be from a difference in the valves. double check they are down all the way. ive had that happen on stuff. motor was bangin after a cam change. took apart and the shim was cocked a bit. retainer popped out. the bucket holding the shim down kept it in. but it looked fine to the eye. but the mark in the shim told different.

as far the the RBC cam, shouldnt matter. some cams are just different. they may claim zero lash at TDC, but ive had spot on shims and changed cams. couldnt get a .003 in. just had it happen going from a HRC to little johnson cam.

that really answered none of your questions. LOL.

just my experience with it. this will bump it up though. maybe someone who knows better will help ya soon.

·
Banned
862 Posts
Perfectly normal for an RE head to shim in at 165-175 and 210-220. With Ferreas your wear will be cut considerably, and you won't have to go to 37s when you get down to a 120 shim for a couple years of hard riding.

All KW retainers are the same on 04-05 as are the keepers since they are all 5.5 stem. The two sides will differ in apperance and shim sizes.

Don't see any issues with what you are describing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome news on the valve depth. Thanks ton for the response. As far as the keepers go they may not even be KW retainers. They are what i have had. They a measurably different retainer depths from intake to exhaust externally. Let me see if i can verbally describe this. If you cut one of the retainers in half down the middle. Then looked at the thin profile you would see the two angles on the top. The last smaller angle that forms the wall of the retainer pocket are different heights. The deeper of the two is on the intake now. I am thinking the deeper would be better suited for the exhaust side as the shims are thickerleaving the rocker contact surface further from the lip. In the event of valve float or something it would have a better chance on staying in. Just a thought.

Also what about the RBC cam? Say i decided to switch to a standard base circle cam next year. Will i be screwed on the intake clearances?

Thanks again to both of you

·
Banned
862 Posts
Can you snap a pic so I can see what you are talking about? You do have a spring kit...right?!?!

Edit: You will be fine with a FBC cam. I would keep the RBC though, you are about to find out that it gives the bike a whole new attitude.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cant snap a pic right now. I don't think it would illustrate what I am asking anyway. Here is a ghetto cell phone painting of what I am talking about.

This distance is different between intake and exhaust differs. I am going to guess and say almost a mm different. Yes I have a duel spring kit. The retainers are a billet looking mystery as they came with the bike when i bought it. There seems to be nothing wrong with them just this machining discrepancy.

·
Banned
862 Posts
I flipped back through my notes and the KW retainers are different, here's what I wrote down...

"On KW spring kit intake and exhaust Ti retainers are machined different to hold inner and outer spring, intake has a taller shim boss."

So the taller shim boss retainer goes in the intake, and they are not reversible because the spring will not seat properly on the retainer. The base washes are intake/exhaust specific as well.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm very interesting. It seems.the retainers are in the correct spots but i never checked out the springs and or the base washers. I have just swapped everything over as assemblies. It has been working fine inbthe past so I will assume they are in correct orientation. Thanks a ton for the help Morgan. What do you think the difference in the springs and washers is? The free height? I did notice the small inner springs have a tight coil or two that have always been up towards the retainer side.

·
Banned
862 Posts
Hmmm very interesting. It seems.the retainers are in the correct spots but i never checked out the springs and or the base washers. I have just swapped everything over as assemblies. It has been working fine inbthe past so I will assume they are in correct orientation. Thanks a ton for the help Morgan. What do you think the difference in the springs and washers is? The free height? I did notice the small inner springs have a tight coil or two that have always been up towards the retainer side.
Intake...
Free length- 1.440"
Outer spring diameter- .925"
Inner spring diameter- .628"
Base washer diameter- .862"

Exhaust...
1.700"
.970"
.715"
.977"

Notes are a motor builders best friend, LOL.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lol. You are a really thorough guy. I truly appreciate your help Morgan. I am going away for a couple days for my anniversary and you have put my mind at ease. My wife will appreciate it ha ha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know it's old, but I just bought a full kw valvetrain and it specifically states that the exhaust spring has a tightly wound inner portion on the spring, the tightly wound portion faces DOWNWARD

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts