Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what oil types everyone is running out there. What's the best for the engine? For the tranny/clutch?

Do you love/hate the separate oil systems on the TRX450R? I think it's better for reliability.

-RR

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am running the Amsoil full synthetic in the crank, and I am running the honda lube in the tranny. I put about 15 miles on the motor and changed the oil and filter. You can tell the diffrence though with synthetic oil. Personally I am a Maxima man but this it what i ended up with, but i am happy with it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Honda Hp trans oil and bell ray thumper motor oil, or try bell ray gearsaver insted of the hp

·
Registered
263 Posts
i just bought some bel ray gear saver for the tranny and hp for the crank.do yall like that thumper oil? let me know

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i use spectro for the engine and honda hp for the tranny

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Motul 5100 15W50.

it has worked out great for us... i have torn apart many motors that have run this oil.. and everything inside has looked near new for the abuse we put them through... i cant complain about the oil at all.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jul 13 2004, 03:11 PM
I'm running Mobil1 15w50 in both ends.
interesting.....does it work good in the transmission side too??? i was told not to use it in the transmission side

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
If it works fine in a 400EX, why won't it work fine in a 450R...

In other words - yes, it works fine :)

Too many people have too many pre-conceived notions about oils that are not anywhere near truth.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jul 13 2004, 04:21 PM
If it works fine in a 400EX, why won't it work fine in a 450R...

In other words - yes, it works fine :)

Too many people have too many pre-conceived notions about oils that are not anywhere near truth.
never thought about that
i ran that stuff in my 400ex for awhile & it was the best so im running it in the left side of my 450r now...i love this stuff

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
how many oil & oil filter changes did you wait untill to put the synthetic in there? I did it on my 3rd oil & filter change after about 5 tanks of gas...was this too soon or am I fine?

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I threw caution to the wind and installed the Mobil1 on my 1st oil change.

You don't hear me complaining about oil consumption

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jul 14 2004, 09:59 AM
I threw caution to the wind and installed the Mobil1 on my 1st oil change.

You don't hear me complaining about oil consumption 
lol...& i was worried about doing it too soon on the 3rd oil change...you went & did it on the first,...that makes me feel alot better...you think this mobile 1 red cap synthetic will help the rings & make them last longer...???

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I have problems with running low viscosity oils on engines that can spin in excess of 10,000 RPM....

Frequent air filter & engine oil maintenance will prolong the life of your rings more than any oil you could choose.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Is it OK to use the same tranny oil in the 450R that I use for my brother's 2-stroke dirtbike? I use Bel-Ray Thumper oil in my YFZ, but I need to find a good tranny oil. Just picked up the 450R yesterday...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Running Castrol GPS 10/40 (both sides).

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey 86, is the Mobile 1 that you run the same stuff for automotive or is it motorcycle blend. I dont know if they even make motorcycle blend but I m just wondering. I need to go get all the crap for an oil change tomorrow night.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I run the automotive variety.

They make a "V Twin" variety that costs twice as much if you want to go that route - unnecessary in my opinion. Makes some people feel better that it has a picture of a motorcycle on it though....

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Originally posted by 86atc250r@Jul 22 2004, 01:38 PM
Makes some people feel better that it has a picture of a motorcycle on it though....
i agree...its the same stuff except price right? its also harder to find b/c alot of places dont really carry that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts