Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m ready to start planning my engine mod. Have a 2006 TRX450er many bolt ons (bought it with 70% of them) I put on the rest. The motor is stock except for full sparks exhaust and jet kit. (Do not know jet sizes) I should look tho lol. I have lots of riding experience been doing it fir 28 years. Lots of crazy stuff in my 20,s with some racing.
Now I just ride trails with half track stuff. I’d like to get good pulling power mid range up to the top without loosing much of the low end if that’s possible (still want to tractor around with my daughter). I still want the Honda reliability so I’m leaning towards no bore or something small 470-490 not sure. What do you guys suggest??
Would like to hear from everyone for options but specifically The Godfather CJM , and hoser both been around a long time and are more knowledgeable then most in my opinion (probably more than my mechanic I now realize) after being on this site and reading all there advice. Hoser you know exactly what I have on my quad bro 😂 I was definitely wrong about legacy 🤭

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and I have an aluminum air box with open ended lid, foam filter (for DUSTY DIRT RIDING) lol. And one of those after market fuel screws.

·
Truck Yea
5,944 Posts
depends on how big you wanna go. if your looking for reliable dont do a big bore, they last if maintained but it is a bit costly to do properly.

If you want to build it then Id suggest a 470 kit with a good pump gas piston, a ported and redone head and a boyesen quick shot or RD float bowl. that will make some nice power and be reliable.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
depends on how big you wanna go. if your looking for reliable dont do a big bore, they last if maintained but it is a bit costly to do properly.

If you want to build it then Id suggest a 470 kit with a good pump gas piston, a ported and redone head and a boyesen quick shot or RD float bowl. that will make some nice power and be reliable.
I do want reliability but if I go with a small bore (470) port and polish the head , boyesen quick shot you’re saying it will last? With good maintenance? Or if I do go with a BB and good maintenance it will last? What about a cam? Because if I can go big and have reliability I will. Just don’t wanna be changing the piston and cylinder every year. I do a lot of riding. And do want a cam, web seems to be the go too. At least that’s what I’ve read on this site.

·
Truck Yea
5,944 Posts
best setup, that will last forever:
stock bore, CP ceramic coated piston (i prefer them but the normal pistons ok as well), boyesen quick shot or RD bowl (gets rid of the bog), stage 2 hotcam, port and polish the head. you will get at least 75+ hours out of it.

once you mess with bore size, stroke, etc, etc you start creating things that are not designed to last and stressing the engine a bit. my buddy always used to do big bore strokers, he rebuilt the entire engine like yearly. the guy we use for porting explained it thusly - you cant squeeze 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag..you can try and maybe get most of it to fit-but your forcing it in there. more you force the more the bag starts to tear slightly, until it tears open. see where Im going with this?

I rode Im sure about 200 hours on nothing more than a stock setup with a good cp piston and hotcam. the crank finally let go. i had at least 150+ hours on the quad myself and god only knows how much before i bought it used. thats riding literally probably every weekend unless it rained, snowed, or i didnt go for some reason. so 52 weeks in a year..prob 30 times I was out (maybe more) at 4-8 hours at a clip riding HARD. I ride in the sand so it stresses the motor a good bit. That was two trips to glamis, a trip to new hampshire and I think west virginia as well.

you can have what i have now and it will absolutely rip, but after 2 years its getting taken down and checked no matter what. my entire engine is BRAND new, talking every single part save for the cam tower and a few gears. i had a massive exhaust valve failure due to a timing chain tensioner that failed, motor was trashed. i have a pile of parts in a box that are pretty much useless from that. that was an athena 490 kit. i make slightly less power now, but its plenty really.

here is the evolution of the bike
-buy it stock, do open air box, exhaust and cam..things weak...keep on trucking as dont want to spend tons of coin on it
-port the head, oversized valves, piston drop and boyesen quick shot. better but still not enough torque for me
-490 kit. more porting, bore carb. fully rebuild engine top to bottom. thing RIPS
-engine blows, cry..
-discuss with my porting guy, decide 490 is nice but piston is to heavy, more rotating mass, more issues. also feel athena cylinder is to thin even with extra water jackets
-470 kit, pump gas 12.5:1 piston, more porting. go back to 37 tooth rear sprocket from 36 tooth.

At this point ive paid for this engine like 3x over and i got plenty of power. seasoned riders had a hard time keeping up with me. but then again they have a hard time keeping up with me riding a stock 400ex lol

bottom line is if you dont want to rebuild it often and ride a lot you want to go small. the engine was designed for a specific setup and the closer you keep it to stock the better. frankly id like a DS650 with say a gixxer engine in it, that would make me smile. but the power isnt really usable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Really have to agree with C.J.M. I went with a c.p. 12.5:1 coated 3 ring piston, h.c. stage 2, port job and a full exhaust with no airbox lid. #55 leak jet and proper carb jetting. Really woke it up, no bogging and allot of fun! Replace all the bearings with stock honda stuff and send it. Ordered it all from J.S.D, machine works, and was very happy with pricing and service. I built mine, but by the time I bought all the specialty tools, I would've been money ahead just sending it out, especially the porting (mild). I just enjoy it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea I’m really glad CJM went into detail and was totally unbiased, because I feel the same way with BB kits, a lotta times people just wanna have the biggest for the sake of saying what they have. I’m all for maximum power, I’m no slouch on these machines. That’s why I always put reliability first. Had my life not taken a left turn years ago I very well could be riding for money or just doing it as a hobby with sponsors. But thank you very much CJM & Hansolo. I’m definitely going to stay with stock cylinder and piston, and put in all the other good work just given, plus or minus a few things. But I’ll keep it posted up on this site.
CJM can you retrain my mechanic 😂, I’m going to wipe his certificates and brain clean and send him over lol. But everything you just said was what I was leaning towards I just needed the details, now I have a blue print to go off of with my mechanic, honestly these machines are fairly easy to work on, I could probably do mist the work myself but not all. Reality is I’d split the motor and it would stay in pieces forever. Anyways thanks guys I really appreciate no bull**** advice. And for The Godfather’s (CJM) time. Much respect, I’ll send pics.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A little disappointed Hoser didn’t step up to the mic, but given our history I don’t blame him lol. Maybe he’s just busy. But he definitely knows what’s on my machine , especially the shocks lmao 🤣. I respect his opinion as well. Thanks again CJM and hansolo

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yea I’m really glad CJM went into detail and was totally unbiased, because I feel the same way with BB kits, a lotta times people just wanna have the biggest for the sake of saying what they have. I’m all for maximum power, I’m no slouch on these machines. That’s why I always put reliability first. Had my life not taken a left turn years ago I very well could be riding for money or just doing it as a hobby with sponsors. But thank you very much CJM & Hansolo. I’m definitely going to stay with stock cylinder and piston, and put in all the other good work just given, plus or minus a few things. But I’ll keep it posted up on this site.
CJM can you retrain my mechanic 😂, I’m going to wipe his certificates and brain clean and send him over lol. But everything you just said was what I was leaning towards I just needed the details, now I have a blue print to go off of with my mechanic, honestly these machines are fairly easy to work on, I could probably do mist the work myself but not all. Reality is I’d split the motor and it would stay in pieces forever. Anyways thanks guys I really appreciate no bull**** advice. And for The Godfather’s (CJM) time. Much respect, I’ll send pics.
It’s pretty simple to replace the cylinder and piston on these. I’d watch this video from Rocky Mountain ATV if you think you could do it yourself. They are installing a big bore kit instead of a stock bore cylinder and piston but it is still the same process.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks crobalex, you’re right it is pretty simple to do, I have some mechanical skills, but I also have procrastinating skills, I’m an expert lol. So I’d take too long, probably forget to put something on (maybe the piston itself 😆) and have issues afterwards, so for me , I let my mechanic do all internal work. I do ALL external stuff, even wiring. I do appreciate the video, they do make it look easy tho.
would be cool if I can send the motor to CJM or hoser 🟰💰, there’s a business idea lol 😆

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol no replies from h**** any where I go, but I go everywhere. 💋 💋 make up! Started off on the wrong 🦶. ====>~ ~ ~ 🤣

1 - 11 of 11 Posts