Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 2014 trx450r back from the shop,it has 10hrs on the quad I installed a full monster exhaust, stage 2 hot cam,k&n filter & stage 2 jet kit the shop put the biggest main jet in a 140 & it runs like crap it sputters 1/2 the time around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle then clears up. Is the main jet way to small? Also when I put a k& n filter lid it runs worse what's up? Please help

·
Truck Yea
5,280 Posts
162, remove airbox lid

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
3,977 Posts
If you paid this shop to do these upgrades and make sure it runs properly, take it back to them and hold them liable.

·
Registered
365 Posts
First thing I would suggest as CJM said Remove the air box lid, they do not run for **** with the lid on with an aftermarket exhaust.

I think the reason Tac is on here asking is because he might be thinking the same thing as me.... If a shop didn't get test the bike to make sure to run right the first time working on it so it doesn't have to come back ... then clearly I wouldn't take it back to them because they probably wont have it right the 2nd time for all we know. Not to mention a lot of small business's buy kits like Dyno Jet and other off brand Jets that are measured different then OEM because they're way cheaper and you can get them in "kits". Sometimes you throw in jets and you get lucky and the bikes run fine.

What brand jets did they use? Do you know?
If it's a Dyno Jet brand or any other off brand jets that means their numbers are totally different then Keihin Jets or (oem Jets).
A lot of people get confused with this and causes a **** ton of tuning issues and head ache. Someone says "Use a 150 or a 160" for example but
what the person telling you that info doesn't know is that they're using DynoJet and the person doing the install is thinking "180" but really you
just installed a installed a bigger jet then you thought. That 180 is really equivalent to a 202 OEM jet.

There is absolutely nothing wrong if you used Dyno Jets, just make sure to use the converter chart when doing so. I'll leave a link for the
conversion

https://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_mikuni_vs_dynojet_vs_keihin_sizes.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First thing I would suggest as CJM said Remove the air box lid, they do not run for **** with the lid on with an aftermarket exhaust.

I think the reason Tac is on here asking is because he might be thinking the same thing as me.... If a shop didn't get test the bike to make sure to run right the first time working on it so it doesn't have to come back ... then clearly I wouldn't take it back to them because they probably wont have it right the 2nd time for all we know. Not to mention a lot of small business's buy kits like Dyno Jet and other off brand Jets that are measured different then OEM because they're way cheaper and you can get them in "kits". Sometimes you throw in jets and you get lucky and the bikes run fine.

What brand jets did they use? Do you know?
If it's a Dyno Jet brand or any other off brand jets that means their numbers are totally different then Keihin Jets or (oem Jets).
A lot of people get confused with this and causes a **** ton of tuning issues and head ache. Someone says "Use a 150 or a 160" for example but
what the person telling you that info doesn't know is that they're using DynoJet and the person doing the install is thinking "180" but really you
just installed a installed a bigger jet then you thought. That 180 is really equivalent to a 202 OEM jet.

There is absolutely nothing wrong if you used Dyno Jets, just make sure to use the converter chart when doing so. I'll leave a link for the
conversion
Thank you it's a 140 dyna jet

https://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_mikuni_vs_dynojet_vs_keihin_sizes.htm
thanks for the info it's a dyna jet

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just got my 2014 trx450r back from the shop,it has 10hrs on the quad I installed a full monster exhaust, stage 2 hot cam,k&n filter & stage 2 jet kit the shop put the biggest main jet in a 140 & it runs like crap it sputters 1/2 the time around 1/4 to 1/2 throttle then clears up. Is the main jet way to small? Also when I put a k& n filter lid it runs worse what's up? Please help

You need a 180 main jet or bigger..

This is same set up as yours pretty much.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update got it back from my old shop only took 1 hr installed 150 dyna jet main jet & installed k&n filter lid runs great now! Thanks so much to everyone for the help you guys are great!

·
Truck Yea
5,280 Posts
Sign..dyno crap..

See they work but they are never as good a tolerance as hex keihin still jets. Im glad you got it sorted out at least.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts