Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin rolled my R a few weeks ago, the ignition broke of completely but it would still start without it, after riding for a few minutes after he rolled it I noticed the coolant was bubbling, I let it sit for a while to cool down, and then kept going heading back home, I imagined it had something to do with the quad being upside down, but today after about 20 mins of riding the coolant started bubbling again...

I know some elements will not work without the ignition, like the lights for example, but what about the fan? or a pump perhaps? any idea if the overheating might be connected with the broken ignition? or should I check for something else?

Thanks

·
Fairly fast foreigner!
3,583 Posts
The fan power does come from the ignition, follow the wires back to the plug and "short out" the red and the black wires at the plug...that will give your fan power again. However your fan shouldn't really be needed after 20mins unless your riding hard...so it looks like you may have done something else too. The wter pump is mechanical so that won't affected by the ignition.

·
What Ever In Season
1,602 Posts
The fan power does come from the ignition, follow the wires back to the plug and "short out" the red and the black wires at the plug...that will give your fan power again. However your fan shouldn't really be needed after 20mins unless your riding hard...so it looks like you may have done something else too. The wter pump is mechanical so that won't affected by the ignition.
that would depend on how much air flow was going to radiator slow riding would cause it to over heat Short/conect wires toghter switch side of conector so if you want to replace it sometime conector is still good

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well perhaps it was a bit longer than 20 mins, and it was hard riding racing a banshee at the beach... I will try to short it without causing much damage, I have ordered a new ingnition and should be here soon....

Will shorting the gan keep it on at all times? or will it work normally?

Thanks guys...

·
Fairly fast foreigner!
3,583 Posts
If you short the black and red wires at the plug where the ignition plugs in...it will work as normal, you can test it by grounding the ECT sensor wire and see if your fan comes on...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Really old post but did you replace the ignition switch? I'm having the same issue. And ibelieve y ok u need to replace the ignition switch

1 - 6 of 6 Posts