Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well almost about to go back to school and its my year of high school 12th grade. i been doing real good 3.0 and up. Well i will also be the first person in my family to even passs high school. But i been having some hard times and been thinking way to much. Once out of school i wanted to join the Navy for get my mind Fresh and get away from "life" then come back and try and become a police officer or possibly a fireman. Than theres keep going to school to become and lawyer. Lots of school years for lawyer tho but at the end its all worth it. Also its my last year of high school and i feel real bad cuz im going to be losing like half my friends. Than alot of people are telling not to join the army only if i want to die(thanks -.-). Really i still having one year to think of what im doing to do.

please tell me what you guys think about my little problem

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
i think every job you just said was the most typical kid answers to, "what do you wanna be when you grow up?" but anyways i think you probably wont be any of the things you just said.. i always thought i would just got to college and graduate and make a lot of money.. but things just change.. i did 4 semesters of college and then started working in a plant.. lol.. unless you really really have your mind set on what you want to do, then things will just fall into place. im pretty sure most people end up doing something that they never even thought about!
OH and i wouldnt become a lawyer, there is enough of them already! as you can see the tv commercials and bunk ass law suits because they dont have any real cases

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well your right chit does happen i wanted to be a doctor when i was a kid. thanks for the info. i understand what your saying and its true. i really dont know what to do haha xD

·
Registered
408 Posts
Here is my $0.02.

I went throught the same thing when i was graduating high school. I had buddies that were already signed up to join the navy and buddies that had scholarships to college. All i had was no clue what i wanted to do!!

I wound up enrolling in my local community college with plans to get a degree in criminal justice. I lasted about 3 semesters. Then i got my commercial drivers license and went to work for the state driving a dump truck. After that i drove a truck over the road for an enviromental company. Then i decided to come home and try school a second time. It lasted half a semester this time. I wound up working for a landscaping company and running a stop and rob at night. Now i work for my local sheriffs dept and love it. One of my buddies that went into the navy is getting out in less than a year and coming back home. But another one loves the navy and plans to make it a career.

my best advice is do alot of thinking in the next year. Talk to a recruiter if you are thinking about the military. Get some information on what the different branches have to offer you. Talk to a guidance councelor at your school. They can give you tons of information on different colleges and technical schools. If you are interested in law enforcement talk to some officers from a local department. Same thing with the fire department.

What ever you decide to do, try to make it something you enjoy. No job is enjoyable everyday but if you dread going to work everyday you will be miserable .

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my $0.02.

I went throught the same thing when i was graduating high school. I had buddies that were already signed up to join the navy and buddies that had scholarships to college. All i had was no clue what i wanted to do!!

I wound up enrolling in my local community college with plans to get a degree in criminal justice. I lasted about 3 semesters. Then i got my commercial drivers license and went to work for the state driving a dump truck. After that i drove a truck over the road for an enviromental company. Then i decided to come home and try school a second time. It lasted half a semester this time. I wound up working for a landscaping company and running a stop and rob at night. Now i work for my local sheriffs dept and love it. One of my buddies that went into the navy is getting out in less than a year and coming back home. But another one loves the navy and plans to make it a career.

my best advice is do alot of thinking in the next year. Talk to a recruiter if you are thinking about the military. Get some information on what the different branches have to offer you. Talk to a guidance councelor at your school. They can give you tons of information on different colleges and technical schools. If you are interested in law enforcement talk to some officers from a local department. Same thing with the fire department.

What ever you decide to do, try to make it something you enjoy. No job is enjoyable everyday but if you dread going to work everyday you will be miserable .[/b]
i've tooken law enforcements classes for 4 years now( our teacher is a Retired BOmb squad member but also was a city police officer) and i tooken drive alongs and i love the police officer job/life. Becoming a police was something i also wanted to become as a young boy. Also my neighbor 3 houses away is a police officer for a city near by and sometimes takes me along with him and talks to me about life and what im planning to do in the future. really its either lawye or police officer. But is it true to become a police officer you must be 21 Or older due to the gun?

·
Super Moderator
2,305 Posts
I think the age thing might be a state issue. We have officers here in WI that are under 21.

You really shouldn't put that much stress on yourself right now. If you don't choose military, you can always go to a college and get your regular classes done and out of the way. That's usually a year to two years any way. By then maybe you'll have a better idea, and then you have half of college done already.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the age thing might be a state issue. We have officers here in WI that are under 21.

You really shouldn't put that much stress on yourself right now. If you don't choose military, you can always go to a college and get your regular classes done and out of the way. That's usually a year to two years any way. By then maybe you'll have a better idea, and then you have half of college done already.[/b]
im not under stress i just really dont know what to do after high school. its like other students they know what they are going to do and hearing makes me worry, but who knows i could win th lottery you never know ^_^

·
Super Moderator
2,305 Posts
If you do win the lottery, my previous post cost about $500,000. What, you think my advice is free?!

·
Super Moderator
5,741 Posts
If it was me to do it all over again (age 36). I wouldnt change a thing. I joined the navy (Air Craft Mech) an loved it. Now I have 17years in the reserves (air national guard) and still having a pretty good time. If you want to be a cop I would say join the Airforce. Or join the reserves for the Navy and go to school and have the reserves as a back up to learn a trade. 18 Years later and I still work on planes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I was like you and wasn't really sure where I wanted to go after high school and I took the ASVAB to see what kind of jobs I could do in the military. After about a week of thinking it over I chose to do Air Traffic Control in the Marine Corps and now 6 years later I have joined the FAA and will be making about 90k next year so whenever someone asks me about joining the military I always reccomend that plus when you get out of the military you can use the GI bill to help pay your way through collage which atm is over $1200 a month for a full time student and if you are working a job with on the job training then it is over $800 a month. Or you can just use your GI Bill when your in. If you haven't talked to a recruiter then I would deffinatly recommend it and just be sure to think it over.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
its up to you if you want to join the army. alot get hooked and stay in there for long time. got a family member that now has a wife and kid, those 6 month trips to iraq aint easy on him.

for 6 months you can joing the police academy. in less than a yr you can start your carreer in law.
and you'll be making some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
If you do decide to go into the Armed Forces.......

let me just suggest the Marines........

its a pride thing.......not a right or wrong decision.....

·
Premium Member
4,474 Posts
If you do decide to go into the Armed Forces.......

let me just suggest the Marines........

its a pride thing.......not a right or wrong decision.....[/b]
Semper-Fi

·
Registered
93 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts