Honda TRX 450R banner

what do you guys think of these....

3K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  r450er 
#1 ·
anyone have any experience with these? do they still breathe good??
i wanna run a uni filter and this lid for trail riding....
what do you guys think???

See less See more
#4 ·
i forgot, but i think these were really expensive... i really do recommened all you guys to run some type of lid with a pre-filter on it. if its Gregs, stock air filter cut with a stocking over it or a UM or outerwears airbox covers, they will help keep your intake and engine clean, which will be alot of help down the road.

#6 ·
Another option is the K&N Powerlid....it is basically the same idea,except it uses the K&N gauze material instead.

Here's a pic.....

#7 ·
I run a Outerwears airbox lid on my race quad. I think it was around $25. Keeps the bigger stuff out of the airbox. It really is amazing how much cleaner the filter is after a long desert race. I do think that the lid shown is kind of pricey, even the K&N lid is something like $80.

Doug

#8 ·
I run a Outerwears airbox lid on my race quad. I think it was around $25. Keeps the bigger stuff out of the airbox. It really is amazing how much cleaner the filter is after a long desert race. I do think that the lid shown is kind of pricey, even the K&N lid is something like $80.

Doug[/b]
My outerwears lid cover should be here today. Inexpensive and does just as good a job as any other brand..The mounting isnt the best tho but Over time you can modify it to make it stronger. Ehs makes NICE ones but there 100$ And those K&N Lids are 130$

#9 ·

Doug[/b]
My outerwears lid cover should be here today. Inexpensive and does just as good a job as any other brand..The mounting isnt the best tho but Over time you can modify it to make it stronger. Ehs makes NICE ones but there 100$ And those K&N Lids are 130$
[/b]

gets some pics up for us :)

#10 ·
That Pro-Tek cover sucks. It is not a lid.... it's just a flat piece of aluminum with no sides. When installed, it just rests on top of the air box and once you clamp it down it does not seal to the box. You would need to add some weather stripping to the top lip of the airbox or to the bottom of the cover to help it seal.

If your going tp spend $90 on the Pro-Tek you might as well spend $10 more and get the K&N power lid.

Or, just get a outerwears like Doug said.

Here's the one I was running....

#12 ·
what about the hrc lid witht he mudguard???
ehs makes a good one but it is very expensive...
ever since i took my lid off the filter became very dirty in about a 2 hr ride...

#14 ·
did you just put holes in your lid and cover the top of the box with the outerwear, or is that a outerwear that i didnt see yet, like a sock and you slipped the whole lid in it. sorry for OT.[/b]
Lumi, nice pic as always bro!! I need you to come out to Cali and take pictures for me :thumbsup:

The lid in my pic is the (open) HRC lid. I drilled some extra holes in it and covered it with the outer wears. And it's just covering the top... it's not a sock like cover.

Pretty sure this outer wears cover was intended to be used without the airbox lid. It fit great over the open air box and was a bit tight when using it over the HRC lid. However, I did not trust the thin elastic that the outer wears uses to seal it against the side of the air box so I installed it over the lid so that the outer wears would get pinched (and sealed) once you clamp down the lid.

ever since i took my lid off the filter became very dirty in about a 2 hr ride...[/b]
My pic is of the HRC lid but I did not run the mud guard. Just the outer wears lid cover, and it worked great. Give it a try.... it will be a huge improvement in keeping your filter cleaner.

#15 ·
Yeah..I know for a FACT that the EHS lids work extremely well..but on the yfzs you have to rejet as its less air than no lid..No sure about the trxs because yfz's lid is smaller. but there 100$ but if your going to shell out that kinda money id go with a EHS no doubt. I'll put up some pics after i install my outerwears..I think its attached around the sides by velcro dont quote me on that tho..eventually im going to cut out some aluminum and make a ring around the box and bolt it on so its stronger/tighter which is pretty much what EHS does

Also..if you like to make your own..a cheap alternative (not sure total cost) is to just buy some outerwear sheets (1 will do) u can buy em at woodwards I think and make your own mounting system..Make it how you like and if you put in enuff time can be better than all the others!

heres a picture of the outerwears lid cover http://www.wppracing.com/images/box%20cover%202600.jpg as u can see it velcros around..and this is the EHS lid (on a kfx so a tad diff) http://www.duneguide.com/images/KFX450R-EHSRacing-3.jpg By far the EHS will hold up the best but it can easily be made with a little time and alot less money.

#16 ·
Pretty sure this outer wears cover was intended to be used without the airbox lid. It fit great over the open air box and was a bit tight when using it over the HRC lid. However, I did not trust the thin elastic that the outer wears uses to seal it against the side of the air box so I installed it over the lid so that the outer wears would get pinched (and sealed) once you clamp down the lid.[/b]
The one that Nor*Cal has is the exact one I use also. I do use mine without the HRC lid, just over the top of the open airbox. I thought about doing the same as Nor*Cal and using the lid, but since I run a airbox lifter, and my seat hits the lid, I was afraid it would rub a hole through the outerwears. I also am not to worried about it sealing tight, as I am just using it to stop the large amounts of dust and silt that end up in the airbox. It really is surprising on how much it cuts down on the amount of dirt in the airbox, it really just lets the finer stuff in, and blocks the bigger stuff.

Doug

#17 ·
Well..after realizing how horribly designed the outerwear box covers were..I quickly set out to make my own..What im going to do is cut out a big square in my air box. Then Im going to cut the outerwear to fit the square then Im going to find some aluminum or some type of metal strips (any idea where to find these would be great) and put them on the edges of the outerwear on the inside of the lid..then drill holes and put screws into them with nuts on the other side to hold them tight. I'm going to make a trip to Lowes tomorrow to get supplies..should be pretty easy and cheap just takes some time and planning. Still dont know where imma find those aluminum strips. Unless someone has any other good ideas to seal the outerwear to the inside of the airbox good?

#18 ·
did you just put holes in your lid and cover the top of the box with the outerwear, or is that a outerwear that i didnt see yet, like a sock and you slipped the whole lid in it. sorry for OT.[/b]
Lumi, nice pic as always bro!! I need you to come out to Cali and take pictures for me :thumbsup:

The lid in my pic is the (open) HRC lid. I drilled some extra holes in it and covered it with the outer wears. And it's just covering the top... it's not a sock like cover.

Pretty sure this outer wears cover was intended to be used without the airbox lid. It fit great over the open air box and was a bit tight when using it over the HRC lid. However, I did not trust the thin elastic that the outer wears uses to seal it against the side of the air box so I installed it over the lid so that the outer wears would get pinched (and sealed) once you clamp down the lid.

ever since i took my lid off the filter became very dirty in about a 2 hr ride...[/b]
My pic is of the HRC lid but I did not run the mud guard. Just the outer wears lid cover, and it worked great. Give it a try.... it will be a huge improvement in keeping your filter cleaner.
[/b]
thanks man :) and thanks for the reply.

#19 ·
why dont you just get a piece of filter foam and stretch it out over the stock box and cut a whole in your lid and put the lid over it.. guys dont waste your money, im sure there are alot better things for 100$ then a air box lid

#20 ·
why dont you just get a piece of filter foam and stretch it out over the stock box and cut a whole in your lid and put the lid over it..[/b]

The way I plan to do it (if it gets done the way i plan) will be alot cleaner and work just as well and be alot easier to work with.

Also just to throw it out there..It was a REALLY tight fit over the box..like i mean if you just tap it it would slide off on the side thats not velcroed. It doesnt seem to safe to me at all so imma try to replicate the EHS design.

#21 ·
why dont you just get a piece of filter foam and stretch it out over the stock box and cut a whole in your lid and put the lid over it..[/b]

The way I plan to do it (if it gets done the way i plan) will be alot cleaner and work just as well and be alot easier to work with.

Also just to throw it out there..It was a REALLY tight fit over the box..like i mean if you just tap it it would slide off on the side thats not velcroed. It doesnt seem to safe to me at all so imma try to replicate the EHS design.
[/b]
Alright, Got the whole cut out and its definatly alot bigger than all the aftermarket brands ive seen but still allows me room to work the filter on.. Now i need your help with a method to seal the filter to the inside edges of the lid. Im thinking some kind of nuts and bolts or super glue ..any ideas?

#22 ·
well if it fits really nice on the inside edges of the lid.. why cant you just put the lid on and snap it down.. but i dont know id just have to see it. but probably some super glue.. if it fits real nice.. becuase the lid snapped on will hold it good

#23 ·
well if it fits really nice on the inside edges of the lid.. why cant you just put the lid on and snap it down.. but i dont know id just have to see it. but probably some super glue.. if it fits real nice.. becuase the lid snapped on will hold it good[/b]
Nah, its not big enuff to fit under the lid to where the lid would hold it on. Imma just do something to hold it really tight on the inside of it. Just no idea how to attach it. Im thinking some sort of super glue..Is there any really good brand that would hold up in these conditions?

#25 ·
G
#26 ·
http://www.ehsracing.com/products.htm
ran that on my z400 nothing went through it. Unless i put it under the sink :slap:[/b]
Im trying to replicate that. Heres what im at so far (the outerwear isnt atatched to the lid yet)
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p232/yx230/0729082058.jpg

Gonna hit up the store tomorrow and look for different types of adhesives or some nuts and bolts.. Not the cleanest cut but it'll work. I didnt want a small ass hole to where id have to rejet.
[/b]
why dont you do what nor*cal did?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.