Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was wondering who is the best manufacturer that makes a-arms. I am personally leaning towards the houser long travel. but the main question is who can hook me up with the best price??and what is the best axle manufacturer?? I am going to order the axle first .(but im not buying a durablue or lonetar) thanks in advance everyone B)

·
Registered
21 Posts
RPM DOMINATOR axle would be agood choice ,a-arms- the holz racing a-arms are very nice .Price with axis shocks/and long travel arms were 2500.Compared to roll/elkas that is a 200.00 -300.00 dollar savings.The axle is 509.00 any where you look,but i saw one on ebay for ? 479.00 buy it now last week. any more info

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Here are my opinions...

Axles --- I have a Lonestar in my 450R and I have an RPM in my 400EX.

The Lonestar I have in my 450R is a nicer axle than my RPM is (regardless of the pricing of the two axles -- in the ATV world, you don't necessarily get what you pay for), I found my LS for $300 new. My personal opinion after having owned both is you can't really go wrong with either --- If I had it to do again, I'd just buy Lonestar.

Mainly, stay away from Durablue unless you don't jump --- at all.

Control arms - I've been looking a lot lately at JD Performance control arms.

Why? I've owned several brands of arms including Houser and Lonestar/Denton/etc.

Things I like about the JD arms -- they are using the new style ball joints that Mark Laeger is having made specifically for ATV use.

The upper ball joint secures with jam nuts on either side, making the camber infinitely adjustable - also allows adjustment without separating the upper ball joint.

They offer caster adjustment - and do it without using heims. Caster adjustment without heims is nice for two reasons -- wear (heims wear quickly) & with heim joint caster adjustment, it screws up your camber - meaning it takes a lot longer to get your alignment nailed down.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I agree with Gabe, I have JD Performance and they work really well. I to have had different a-arms TBR are some good one's too. I've had Durablue and I think there pretty good, but you must get the best one they have because some of my friends have had problems with Durablue. But, I bought the X-33 and had no problems jumping or anything else. Now I have the RPM axle and I love it. It looks really cool and I've had no problems with it. I'm thinking of going to long travel and I think I will still order JD Performance. There good looking a-arms and the people there are ready to assist you in anyway. That counts for allot. B)

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
JB Racing ( I have ) also use the same ball joint mentioned. I am very pleased with them. I had JD on my 400ex, and my brother has them on his 250R, very nice stuff, and Debbie and Dave are very cool people.
Can't go wrong with either.
I have a X-33 Durablue, and have had Eliminator, and Heavy Duty, Lonestar, Dominator, as with many riding buddies. I have seen every kind of axle break and bend. I like X-33 because I am a duner and its very light with the billet hubs. I have put it through hell and its fine.
It comes down to warranty, they all cn break, who will get your warranty taken care of?
I have never had or heard of any of the three giving anyone troubles with warranty.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Durablue has a very high rate of break failures. In fact, Durablue is the only axle I've ever seen break (excluding extremely horrible landings that have other, more serious consequences). Their rate of breakage is so high in fact, that it prompted them to post a bogus message on their website addressing why it's so common - they attempted to pin the blame on Honda's rear end design. My question would be, if Honda's rear end design is causing the failures - why don't stock axles break?

Any axle will bend if punished enough. I'll take a bend over a break any day.

I've seen numerous Durablue axles fail on landings that even stock axles survived without even bending. One friend went thru two Eliminators in less than three hours ride time - neither time was related to a crash.

X-33 --- I've own these as well, in fact, I still have one on my 250R (and if I still spent any significant time on my R it would be gone). I have several problems with the X-33 series of axles.

They are still prone to breakage like other Durablue's.

They do not offer the weight savings advertised - in fact, there is little if any weight savings at all (yep, I weighed mine.)

Their "lifetime" warranty only covers one claim after which you're on your own.

The pin-drive setup while sounding awfully nifty (easily adjusting the width of the quad) really sucks to use.

The pin drive setup is prone to developing slop. Once the hub starts moving around, the pin will promptly break - leaving you with only one drive wheel while at the same time dispatching the other wheel on a journey which does not include the quad it was formerly attached to.

So... All in all, this post is not intended to offend current Durablue owners (Heck guys, I'm right there with you) just a fair warning to those getting ready to plunk down their hard earned cash on an axle - take this advise or write me off as a nutcase with an axe to grind... Your choice :).

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
So... All in all, this post is not intended to offend current Durablue owners (Heck guys, I'm right there with you) just a fair warning to those getting ready to plunk down their hard earned cash on an axle - take this advise or write me off as a nutcase with an axe to grind... Your choice.[/b]

LMAO! :lol:

OH Yeh, Fender. If you want to go with Houser, then talk to Schmitthead. He can give you the best price on those a-arms!! :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow thanks guys !!! I dont know if I can get shocks but I can get the a-arms and axle :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
i have had lone star ,denton ,and holtz a-arms and now have houser long travel.houser imo has the best.the fit and finish are the i have ever seen.,you cant go wrong with lone star axle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts