Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Admin
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't remember does the Web 208 need to be degreed in and I know you should run stiffer springs when running it but does it have to have them running in an 06?

Thanks

Jake

·
Registered
497 Posts
I can't remember does the Web 208 need to be degreed in and I know you should run stiffer springs when running it but does it have to have them running in an 06?

Thanks

Jake[/b]

yes, iirc the 06 has weaker springs then 05, cause of the ti. valves, and the fact that they are lighter and need less spring...

bigger buckets are recommended or RBC cams too... and shortened guides are also recommended

im sure im forgetting some stuff

Eric

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I was told by someone who KNOWS about this cam that bigger buckets and shortened guides are not necessary. But, better valve springs are a must. I've also heard that all web cams need to be degreed in, but who knows.

·
Big Bore Killer
2,550 Posts
i was also told by a very reputable shop that the 208 is a drop in cam...
all you need is stiffer springs...
i forget what they said about degreeing though...

·
Registered
11,022 Posts
i believe the older 208 need to be degreed but not the newer billet ones

and all i know is you need stiffer springs and its basically a drop in cam, but it will wear out the valves faster

·
Oregon Coast Duner
2,482 Posts
I was thinking about this cam as well when I decide to build up... What do you have to watch out for, indicators that the springs and valves are done? How many hours can one expect to get out of your valvetrain while using it? Web recomends..

Accessories Required:

VC-H97 / $250.00 / Valve Spring Kit With Titanium Retainers
VG-H07-E / $15.75 / Valve Guide, Shortened
VG-H07-I / $15.75 / Valve Guide, Shortened

http://www.webcamshafts.com/pages/atv/hond...er_(06-07).html

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I was told you don't need to sink the guides by a builder well known on this and other sites. They also said that the CV-4 Xceldyne springs were probably the best springs to run with the 208.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I was really wanting to go to a WEB for my build but was worried about valve train wear and always having to shim..so here i am with a HC3

·
Oregon Coast Duner
2,482 Posts
I was really wanting to go to a WEB for my build but was worried about valve train wear and always having to shim..so here i am with a HC3[/b]
That's were I'm at... I want the personality of the web and the mtce of the HC3... Having my cake and eating it too... I really don't put too many hours on my bike (50 or so/year) so I think I may jump on the web.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Think of it this way....if you dont have to sink the guides for the H3, why would you have to sink them for the Web? They have almost the same exact lift.... In fact the Web has a reduced base cicle so that puts the peak of the lobe (max lift) lower than the H3.

So if two cams have the same lift, what makes one have more power than the other?

couple things..... L.C.'s..... which can also vary things like overlap..... and ramp rates.

One of the reasons Web's sometimes make a little better power is to pop open the valves quickly and to shut them down quickly. Thus why we say they are "harsh" on the train. They have steep aggressive ramps....

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
what ^ He ^ said...

But......let me add this....

I was told......which is not the same as me knowing..... that the WEB grinds, at least some of them, are now being reproduced by DASA........and he is utilizing a full base circle for his bumpsticks.......

Jake...I think a quick call to Dan, if you can reach him, would answer your questions w/o any doubt.....

with a full base circle.....shims would be almost identical, and the need for oversized buckets would be reduced, but the ramp rates are gonna be the same......so in my humble opinion...... if it NEEDED stronger springs before....it will probably still need them.....

one more thing to add.....ALL Honda TRX450R/ER use the exact same intake valve springs..... there was no change between the SS 04/05 models...and the lighter Titanium versions found on the 06/newer models.....

jmho...me~

·
Registered
497 Posts
Think of it this way....if you dont have to sink the guides for the H3, why would you have to sink them for the Web? They have almost the same exact lift.... In fact the Web has a reduced base cicle so that puts the peak of the lobe (max lift) lower than the H3.

So if two cams have the same lift, what makes one have more power than the other?

couple things..... L.C.'s..... which can also vary things like overlap..... and ramp rates.

One of the reasons Web's sometimes make a little better power is to pop open the valves quickly and to shut them down quickly. Thus why we say they are "harsh" on the train. They have steep aggressive ramps....[/b]

the billets are def. a lot nicer on everything than the old RBC cams. i hope noone that read my reply thought i meant they were necessary, i think i said they were recommended, if not i meant to include that.

the bigger buckets were used on the RBC cams becasue they would ride out on the edge of the buckets and prematurely wear them and the cam out...

full base circle cams shouldnt need the bigger buckets...

Eric

·
Premium Member
4,623 Posts
the duration that it is open combined with the lift is the reason why i believe they do require shortened guides, not just the lift, imo And in reality, it will only smash the seals a little , not a huge deal, but you can trim the guide and all is well if you know what you are doing, i got my trim on with 739 cam

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
a cam ONLY needs to be degree in when you are using a adjustable cam gear because you will not know where to set it if you don't degree it in...............AND THAT GO'S FOR ANY CAM THAT YOUR RUNNING AN ADJUSTABLE CAM GEAR

·
Admin
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Let me try and start a fact list for this cam using the FBC billet core - I know the old RBC needed degreed in, I'm not sure about the FBC. We need some clarifiction on some of these points. Maybe we can get Dan to chime in here, when he is back from the races. I like this cam and I intend to run it.

Shortened Valve guides - yes or no? I think either way its a good idea.

Stiffer springs - Yes

Bigger buckets - No

Needs degreeing in - Not sure, but leaning towards no (billet only)?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Let me try and start a fact list for this cam using the FBC billet core - I know the old RBC needed degreed in, I'm not sure about the FBC. We need some clarifiction on some of these points. Maybe we can get Dan to chime in here, when he is back from the races. I like this cam and I intend to run it.

Stiffer springs - Yes

Bigger buckets - No

Needs degreeing in - Not sure, but leaning towards no (billet only)?[/b]

I'm not sure why there are thoughts that the 208 needs degree'n..... you don't have to degree the 208...

stiffer springs yes...

sink guides (04/05) yes....

bigger bucket not required but suggested...

·
Registered
497 Posts

Stiffer springs - Yes

Bigger buckets - No

Needs degreeing in - Not sure, but leaning towards no (billet only)?[/b]

I'm not sure why there are thoughts that the 208 needs degree'n..... you don't have to degree the 208...

stiffer springs yes...

sink guides (04/05) yes....

bigger bucket not required but suggested...
[/b]

i got a question about sinking the guides, are you physically sinking them in the head or just milling some material off? if its being milled how much?

thanks

Eric

1 - 20 of 74 Posts