Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok in a couple of weeks im gonna try picking up a 450r. And im wondering what oil i should use with the weather here. During summer its usually 75-95 degrees, and winter anywhere from 5 below-50 degrees. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks. jeff

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
I'm no expert ... desert_450r will probably reply later and show us all up with a post that tells you exactly what to use, including brand (he knows more about oils alone than I know about myself) ...

But - I think you would be ok with some 10w40 (I'm assuming you mean in the engine side ... not the tranny) Now its time to tell him the right oil Dez :D Oh, welcome to the site and good luck with the R B) (If you do a search you might be able to find an answer to this question)

-Zack-

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Yea i would run a 10w 40 or 10w 30, we just went thru oils and crap in our shop class, and i was told that there are a few simple things to follow by, this is wat i was told:

Once you decide to run one brand of oil, always keep runnin the same brand and also the same weight oil, if you dont there are different additves to all oils, wich can cause oils to breakdown earlier then designed to. Also by swithcing weights bewtween the same brand, or any other brand for that matter can lead to having a wieght in the middle, and not the one you added, since u will never has 100% of the oil outta the engine without ripping it apart and clening it out in gaz or similar.

Now if you live in alaska, just because the bike comes with 10w30, i wouldnt run it, since the temp is always cold you would wanna run a 10w 20 or similar( i believe this is the oil designed for cooler temperatures) now if ur out in texas per say, and its always 70 or hiher your gonna wanna run always 20w50.

Now if your wondering wat the diffrence is, the 10w, or 20w is the weight of the oil when its kool, the 30 or 50 per say, is once it at runnig temp. This makes different viscositys of the oil thruout the temperatures, and if the oil get too thick when its cold, theres alot of wear that can occur till the oil warms up, then when the oil gets toooo hot, it will thin out and not stay where it needs to be lubricated. I hope i nailed it, but i doubt it, im sure ill be corrected, or added on to, but thats wat were all here for.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I don't know but it seems to me that at those temps a 10w40 oil might be a little too heavy if you are indeed riding in those temps. In the summer time 10w40 is perfect but might be little tough on your motor in the winter especially at start up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Originally posted by Trx450Ryan@Sep 26 2004, 10:09 PM
Yea i would run a 10w 40 or 10w 30, we just went thru oils and crap in our shop class, and i was told that there are a few simple things to follow by, this is wat i was told:

Once you decide to run one brand of oil, always keep runnin the same brand and also the same weight oil, if you dont there are different additves to all oils, wich can cause oils to breakdown earlier then designed to. Also by swithcing weights bewtween the same brand, or any other brand for that matter can lead to having a wieght in the middle, and not the one you added, since u will never has 100% of the oil outta the engine without ripping it apart and clening it out in gaz or similar.

Now if you live in alaska, just because the bike comes with 10w30, i wouldnt run it, since the temp is always cold you would wanna run a 10w 20 or similar( i believe this is the oil designed for cooler temperatures) now if ur out in texas per say, and its always 70 or hiher your gonna wanna run always 20w50.

Now if your wondering wat the diffrence is, the 10w, or 20w is the weight of the oil when its kool, the 30 or 50 per say, is once it at runnig temp. This makes different viscositys of the oil thruout the temperatures, and if the oil get too thick when its cold,  theres alot of wear that can occur till the oil warms up, then when the oil gets toooo hot, it will thin out and not stay where it needs to be lubricated. I hope i nailed it, but i doubt it, im sure ill be corrected, or added on to, but thats wat were all here for.
What?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Okay lets see if i can clear this up, never was very good at explaining but here goes with round 2, bear with me.

I was told to always run the same type of oil and same brand and weight not to switch it, find the oil weight thats suitalbe for your weather and always run that brand and weight of oil. The enigine will wear no matter wat, and by chagin oils, it can cause newer wear, sice the enigne was used to running with the older oil. And by switching weights all the time, u can occur to have a weight that isnt exactly a 10w 30 or 10w40 if you are switching them for summer to winter temps, thats why its important to keep with one type oil, and keep running it. I think thats the basic idea, i hope you get wat i mean, if not, just read over what i wrote, cuz im not sure if i quite explained this all right.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by Trx450Ryan@Sep 27 2004, 05:24 PM
Okay lets see if i can clear this up, never was very good at explaining but here goes with round 2, bear with me.

I was told to always run the same type of oil and same brand and weight not to switch it, find the oil weight thats suitalbe for your weather and always run that brand and weight of oil. The enigine will wear no matter wat, and by chagin oils, it can cause newer wear, sice the enigne was used to running with the older oil. And by switching weights all the time, u can occur to have a weight that isnt exactly a 10w 30 or 10w40 if you are switching them for summer to winter temps, thats why its important to keep with one type oil, and keep running it. I think thats the basic idea, i hope you get wat i mean, if not, just read over what i wrote, cuz im not sure if i quite explained this all right.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think that it is correct. Not trying to flame at all, just I think that it wouldn't be a problem in our engines. Mixing oils wouldn't degrade the integrity of the oil and engines don't get "used to" certain types of oils from what I understand. I'm no oil expert, but I think this is right, don't quote me on this stuff though!

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
No, id rather all of you correct me, im just going by wat we learned of in our AUTO shop lol key word auto, i just took a guess thinking itd be the same in this engine, but maybe it isnt, who knows, were all hear to learn!!

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Originally posted by Trx450Ryan@Sep 27 2004, 05:59 PM
No, id rather all of you correct me, im just going by wat we learned of in our AUTO shop lol key word auto, i just took a guess thinking itd be the same in this engine, but maybe it isnt, who knows, were all hear to learn!!
VERY good attitude :D But ... I could be wrong too ... haha. Plus, we all know a lot of school teachers don't know sh!t about what they are "teaching" now-a-days. But some are still cool B)

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
True true, and on to pof that he rides a yamaha :lol: so he must not know any better, haha jk boys, its all fun and games

·
Registered
391 Posts
If you are recommending to NOT MIX OILS together then you are correct. If you are saying to not switch from one weight to another based on the weather (temps) then you are incorrect. Mixing (2) different brands (weights) of oils together may not cause immediate damage but can over time. Switching weights between seasons is fine and is suggested based on temps.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Originally posted by quadboy@Sep 27 2004, 05:11 PM
If you are recommending to NOT MIX OILS together then you are correct. If you are saying to not switch from one weight to another based on the weather (temps) then you are incorrect. Mixing (2) different brands (weights) of oils together may not cause immediate damage but can over time. Switching weights between seasons is fine and is suggested based on temps.
Perfect Quadboy, Once you find an oil you like. Stay with it. Temp wise, I asure you it's ok to change weight to the weather. That's the whole reason they have different weights. It's for the weather. B)

·
Registered
436 Posts
Originally posted by quadboy@Sep 27 2004, 03:11 PM
So when do you change the oil to the other weight (now or when it is colder??)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
i run honda 10-40 in the motor and honda "red bottle" 85w in the tranny. i recommend changing the oil fairly frequently, remember this motor only holds less than a quart of oil.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Originally posted by trujeepr+Oct 12 2004, 12:57 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-quadboy
@Sep 27 2004, 03:11 PM
So when do you change the oil to the other weight (now or when it is colder??) [/b]
I would change the oils viscocity once you notice your seasonal temps drop significanly.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I have always used AMSOIL 10/40 oil in my bikes and NEVER had any troubles. I use this in both the engine and the tranny of my 450r. I will be using it in the winter too. As long as you let your bike warm up before riding it this should be fine. This is a full synthetic oil that forms a film on all metal parts so it still protcts apon start up....Amsoil in a mild small block chevy engine has been proven to free up 10 horse power.....This is some good oil IMO...

Corey

1 - 18 of 18 Posts