Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right now I have an 02 400ex with a stock motor and a slip on exhaust. I went 1 tooth down in the front and 1 tooth up in the back. I'm a little guy I weigh 120 pounds so me on my 400 will go up anything at Winchester bay sand dunes, I can make it up banshee hill in 3rd and the lake tree shot anytime of year. I really like my 400, I love its reliability and how I can change the oil every few dune trips and I love how I can let the clutch out and give it no gas and it just goes. But it just doesnt go up hills at the dunes as fast as i would like. So I've been looking into buying an 04 or 05 trx450, but I know that they are a lot more to take care of and not as reliable and I LOVE the low end torque of my 400, so do you think I will miss my 400, or not? Do you think I should save up some more and keep the 400 and have both? What are your thoughts?

·
Truck Yea
5,623 Posts
If your happy with the 400 Id suggest going to 11:1 compression piston, some heavy duty head studs and a stage 2 hot cam and you should be happy. If your worried about the care and maintenance of a 450 it might not be for you. I seriously change my oil every few rides, put a piston in every other year and make sure its running and in tip top shape all the time. The 400 I had was nice, put some gas in and go.

The 400 done up is a nice quad, I should know I built like 6 of them lo.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, is 11:1 the highest I can go and still run cheap gas? And also do you recommend the stock bore or a 416 or 426?

·
Truck Yea
5,623 Posts
Thanks for the reply, is 11:1 the highest I can go and still run cheap gas? And also do you recommend the stock bore or a 416 or 426?
Yes 11:1 can run 92-93 octane, id still have head studs put in it. you can do 407, 416 or whatever but its not such a large size to make much difference vs the compression

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I wouldn't notice much of a difference between a stock bore and a 416 if they both had 11:1 compression? And also with 11:1 can I just run the same gas as i do now, because i just run cheap regular 87 octane, I know people hate that, but I've never had a problem with it

·
Truck Yea
5,623 Posts
So I wouldn't notice much of a difference between a stock bore and a 416 if they both had 11:1 compression? And also with 11:1 can I just run the same gas as i do now, because i just run cheap regular 87 octane, I know people hate that, but I've never had a problem with it
nope would have to run 92-93 octane. its like 50 cents more a gallon so whats that 2-3 bucks more per fill up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope would have to run 92-93 octane. its like 50 cents more a gallon so whats that 2-3 bucks more per fill up?
Well I have a 200 gallon tank and I get gas delivered to my house once a month, so that would be a hassle to go get different gas, what about 10:1 ?

·
Truck Yea
5,623 Posts
Pointless to do 10:1 won’t change enough for it to matter.

·
Truck Yea
5,623 Posts
So would I see a noticable power gain from a 416 with stock compression and a stage 2 cam and a full exhaust?
No. But the cam and exhaust will help

What’s the big deal. Go 11:1 and buy 93 octane geez!

·
Truck Yea
5,623 Posts
Well I'm 16 and dont have a lot of money... that's the big deal
Then modifying the quad is the least of your worries if paying 2-3 bucks more per fill up will break the bank.

Just do the cam and exhaust and be happy

Reactions: hoser
1 - 13 of 13 Posts