Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
John,

I just wanted to publicly thank you for the port work you did on my 501 YFZ. I recently completed dyno testing on Tony Tice's dyno (Thanks Tony!) and it made 59/39. Needless to say I am pleased with the results. I think it speaks volumes of your ability to deliver high quality porting at a price that most of us can afford.

As far as a ride report....it is a beast. I have been doing some 1/8th mile drag racing and it will run 8.3's at 79 mph. Keep in mind this is a full weight TT/flattrack setup not a drag bike. This thing is almost impossible to launch with a stock length swinger (pathetic 1.9-2.0 60' times) and I was running out of gear(15/38) about 20ft before the finish. With a little better set up on my part I think high 7's are within reach.

For comparison a bolt on YFZ and a 525 KTM where both running 9.0-9.1's at 69-70 mph. I was actually able to get better 60' times on both of these bikes (1.8's) just because they weren't so violent. When I let both riders take the 501 for a pass the KTM rider said it actually scared him and the YFZ rider asked who ported it so he could send his head there.lol

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Congrats on your build!!

From what I've heard, them are some HUGE numbers on Tice's dyno!

When you're riding it, I bet you look like a monkey f'in a football trying to keep the front end down on the stock swinger, lol.

Later- Kris

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on your build!!

From what I've heard, them are some HUGE numbers on Tice's dyno!

When you're riding it, I bet you look like a monkey f'in a football trying to keep the front end down on the stock swinger, lol.

Later- Kris[/b]
Kris,

Thanks for the complement.

I think Tony's dyno is accurate and repeatable but you are correct as far as dyno racing goes it is not a good one to compare to others.lol

You got it........its not a pretty sight.

I should also add that John did all five valves +1 as well. The craftsmanship was top notch and the results speak for themselves.

Scott

·
Premium Member
1,807 Posts
SWEET! and great numbers coming of sir tony's dyno!

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
scott...many thanks for the info..!.... i never knew how it all turned out....

tice's dyno is a bastage to get #'s from.... 59/39 has to be a record for a 450 based machine..... i'm sure Mr. Tices considerable talents played a big role in that :)

39 tq in a TT setup...! how do you keep the front end down so you can turn??

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scott...many thanks for the info..!.... i never knew how it all turned out....

tice's dyno is a bastage to get #'s from.... 59/39 has to be a record for a 450 based machine..... i'm sure Mr. Tices considerable talents played a big role in that :)

39 tq in a TT setup...! how do you keep the front end down so you can turn??[/b]
John.........no question, I could not have gotten these results without Tony's help, he is a great asset to have so close. I will have to confirm with Tony but I believe that is the hp record for a 450 based machine on his dyno. Its not much compared to some of the other numbers thrown around on the net but I'm pretty happy.

As far as keeping the front end down.........lets just say that I'm not that good at riding bikes but I'm better than average at riding on two wheels.lol

Scott

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dang thats some lofty numbers on Tice's dyno.

Super job you guys! From John to Tice, to you Scott, all around awsome machine.

Have fun with it :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
John,

I just wanted to publicly thank you for the port work you did on my 501 YFZ. I recently completed dyno testing on Tony Tice's dyno (Thanks Tony!) and it made 59/39. Needless to say I am pleased with the results. I think it speaks volumes of your ability to deliver high quality porting at a price that most of us can afford.

As far as a ride report....it is a beast. I have been doing some 1/8th mile drag racing and it will run 8.3's at 79 mph. Keep in mind this is a full weight TT/flattrack setup not a drag bike. This thing is almost impossible to launch with a stock length swinger (pathetic 1.9-2.0 60' times) and I was running out of gear(15/38) about 20ft before the finish. With a little better set up on my part I think high 7's are within reach.

For comparison a bolt on YFZ and a 525 KTM where both running 9.0-9.1's at 69-70 mph. I was actually able to get better 60' times on both of these bikes (1.8's) just because they weren't so violent. When I let both riders take the 501 for a pass the KTM rider said it actually scared him and the YFZ rider asked who ported it so he could send his head there.lol

Thanks again.[/b]
thats my kind of racing.........if you get the 60' in the 1.7 1.6 range it will drop to 8.0 / 7.9 E.T
some would see that as a small gain BUT its really ALOT......... 1 tenths is almost two lenghts

the drag strip is also a VERY good way to test out different performance mods and gearing change

i started out running 9.4 e.t @69mph

·
Registered
288 Posts
John,

Thanks again.[/b]
U r using Hotrod +3mill stroker crank ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John,

Thanks again.[/b]
[/b]
Yes and the CW 98mm cylinder. I have had them both in for about a year and a half. This is actually the #1 prototype cylinder that they made (I live in the same town as Hot Rods/Cams CW).

·
Registered
288 Posts
John,

Thanks again.[/b]
[/b]
Yes and the CW 98mm cylinder. I have had them both in for about a year and a half. This is actually the #1 prototype cylinder that they made (I live in the same town as Hot Rods/Cams CW).
[/b]
Nice..Goodluck

·
Lord of Combustion
14,065 Posts
scott, have you tried the Hot Cams S3 cams yet??

since Mr. Tice used to be part of Hot Cams R&D... i figured you would have had a set of them before anyone else too.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
scott, have you tried the Hot Cams S3 cams yet??

since Mr. Tice used to be part of Hot Cams R&D... i figured you would have had a set of them before anyone else too.....[/b]
Nope.......no such luck there. Based off of your testing, I don't know if I would gain much. Thanks for sharing that.

Raced motocross for the first time in many years on Saturday night. This motor is borderline too much for motocross, it really wears you out.......always trying to throw you off the back :thumbup:. I did end up winning my class though :thumbsup: . Its kind of fun beating guys half my age. I should have probably race the A class as I still would have finished in the top 5 but oh well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts