Honda TRX 450R banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
are you getting good spark? remove spark plug, connect it to plug wire and ground it to block, then crank engine. you should see good blue spark. I'd get a spark sometimes, but mine was inconsistent. weak or no spark might be your problem. I also had to replace stator on mine, and stator seems to be a common problem on these.

you could also try a new spark plug, but my stab in the dark is stator. I actually splurged and paid Honda to diagnose my problem (which was painful for me to do) as I didn't want to start chasing parts. In hindsight I'm glad I did that. It cost $75 + tax to find out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I replaced the spark plug, I grounded it to the frame has a nice spark If me and him cannot figure it out its going to be going to honda

·
TRX450r.org Sponsor
1,517 Posts
OK, here is my problem. 450 got hard to impossible to start when it was cold, but would start easy when it was warmed up. so we checked carb and it was fine, checked spark and it was good. next we checked the valves and decomp. exhaust valves are within spec but the intake valves are so tight you cant get even a 2 thousanths feeler in there. now im not an expert on this, but why would valves tighten up? shouldnt they get looser? Oh, and its an 06 450er with stock motor.

HELP!!

The exhaust valves get real tight when dirt passes through the intake tract. Once you replace the valves or put a very tiny shims in to get back to factory specs inspect your filter and intake boot for cracks. You shouldn't have to adjust the intake valves often when dirt isn't coming through.

ATV Performance Parts
270-774-1982

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, here is my problem. 450 got hard to impossible to start when it was cold, but would start easy when it was warmed up. so we checked carb and it was fine, checked spark and it was good. next we checked the valves and decomp. exhaust valves are within spec but the intake valves are so tight you cant get even a 2 thousanths feeler in there. now im not an expert on this, but why would valves tighten up? shouldnt they get looser? Oh, and its an 06 450er with stock motor.

HELP!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey bowhunter, I have the same bike as you 06 450er HMF pipe and my intake valve on the throttle side I can't even get a 4 thousandths feeler gauge in there. Did you re shim yours and did it solve the problem? I bought a shim kit. Any information would be appreciated thanks Randy 282

21 - 25 of 25 Posts