Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a kibble white valve kit on my trx450 because I was on the last shims that hot cams supplied in there box but my issue now is that I'm pretty close to being on the last shims again after spending almost $500 for the new valve's. What I'm I doing wrong? Do I need a new cylinder head?

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,765 Posts
New valves, new springs, or new hardware won’t fix the problem. The seats that are installed in the head, where it seals between the head and the valve, are wore and will need to be replaced/machined to bring the valves back to the proper installed height. you need to send your head into a shop that’s familiar with these heads and have them do a valve job on it.

·
Truck Yea
5,875 Posts
so you just slapped them in there? did you have the head redone? checked for tolerance/spec?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update: I just ended up buying a new cylinder head from motorsports and installed the valves into that but I'm still pretty stumped because before hand I had the hot cams 1.35 shims on my exhaust valves and a 1.40 on the intake but now with the new cylinder there at (2.60 in) 2.65 ex)
and I was expecting more life with the new head

(On the new head)
Kibble white: SS black diamond valves
Kibble white:Titanium Retainers, Steel Basewashers, Chrome Silicon Spring and valve stem seals
Hot cam shims range from 4.00 biggest to 1.25 smallest

·
4,765 Posts
So you will have more life in the new head. You need bigger shims because the valve is now where it’s supposed to be, or at the correct installed height. Because of that, you need bigger shims. The valve seats wear where they contact the valve, so as it wears, the valve moves up and requires a smaller shim. So again, the bigger shim is good and you will have more ”life” out of the new head.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know what you mean. granted I got more life out of it with all the new parts and bigger Sims that are currently in it but what I'm trying to say is is that I'm already halfway through my shim set what the new head

·
4,765 Posts
Just because you have all those sizes doesn’t mean you need them or that they are appropriate for your engine. If you needed any of the larger sizes you would have an improperly set up head. There are proper heights and clearances that need to be maintained and you are right on with the new shim sizes you are using.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts