Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, i finally got around to putting my KW spring kit in tonight. i'll just tell you now. doing it this way requires 4 hands. so have help. a little more time consuming work, but it did save me 50 or 60 dollars worth of head and base gaskets if i had taken the head off.

so........ i made myself a tool for filling the cylinder with air. i had done this on cars to change cams and springs and figured it would work also.
my tool was a spark plug i hollowed out and removed the electrode from the end. got a 6 inch joint of 3/8 galvanized pipe from hardware store. threaded on each end. i ground one end down a bit so it would fit down in the spark plug a little. it would help to weld easier. after welding the end on, i got a female thread on air line coupler fitting and put it on the other end of the pipe. thread tape the threads. put the plug end in just like a plug. tighten. fill air compressor. snap coupler to tool. presto. cylinder is filled with air and when the spring is removed from the valve, it cant fall in the cylinder.

i changed all 4. used a small spring compressor. had to work and fight it a bit, but i got it. the fingers on the compressor that push down on the top of the spring were not wide enough. slipped off. so i cut a small piece of aluminum and drilled a hole in the middle. this allowed me to shove the spring down and remove the locks through the hole. the locks were a pain to get back in, but patience will get them in.

i think that bout covers it all. hope i explained it well. if you got any questions , feel free to ask. or if you want pictures of anything.

thought it may help out someone who like me wanted to change springs but not remove the head. saves a pile on gaskets. good for when a guy steps up the rev limit on his 04-05. which is what i did. and i run +1 valves. so extra rpm's and big valves shoud'nt mix without good springs.

·
YamaWho?
1,487 Posts
cool trick with "filling the cylinder with air".
haha at first i was like... jus take out the spark plug!? then realized that you were pressurizing it to keep the valves in place, haha :slap:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Interesting, I never thought about doing it that way.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good right up. thanks for the tips.[/b]
your welcome, guys. i usually dont have much tech to add. LOL

figured that it may help a poor dude like me.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
When i worked for a honda shop and the crf150r's had a cam recall and you had to change the cam and the valve springs we also filled the cylinder with air.Honda paid 3.9 hours to do the job and i was doing them in 45 mins lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nice write up scapper. Tony Tice shared that tip with me a couple years ago. I have yet to have the chance to really do it but when the time comes Im ready!

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice write up scapper. Tony Tice shared that tip with me a couple years ago. I have yet to have the chance to really do it but when the time comes Im ready![/b]

nice write up and very helpful may definatly come in handy someday!!![/b]

again, thanks guys. i'll get a pic of my little tool i made and let you guys take a peak at it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just put some small rope down in the cylinder and gently push the piston up to gently compress the rope. Just dont forget to leave the tail end sticking out of the plug hole.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i use this tool,works with head on or off[/b]
buck, nice pic. same thing i got. yours seems to work a bit better than mine. as i said, i had to make a plate to fit over the top collar. was to wide and slipped off.

I just put some small rope down in the cylinder and gently push the piston up to gently compress the rope. Just dont forget to leave the tail end sticking out of the plug hole.[/b]
good idea also. never thought of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts