Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone adjust their valves yet. I was reading dirtwheels and they said it'd probably need to be done a couple of times a year, especially on the push rod motors. Sounds a bit much to me, but then again I'm used to 2-strokes.

Questions:
how do you know when to do it?
how to do it?
What happens if you don't do it?

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
I am in the process right now of doing mine.... the specs are .006 on the Intake and .011 on the Ex....

i cant get and oil moly inbetween the intake....

No wonder it was running like crap lately and loading up on me ... the intakes never close....

The Ex. are really close they only need to have a .001 and .002 smaller shims....

Its not really that hard to do just make sure you dont drop one of the shims down in the cam chain...
>>>> almost happend to me.... :wacko:

When..... when it runs like crap.. starts acting like it needs rejetted.... or over the period of 4 or so races..(if you arent too worried about it)(if your anal , like me, every race....
)

How.... just pull the valve cover off and find TDC and check with feeler gauges .. then pull the cam chain off and the cam sprocket then take the cam holder and cam out... be carefull of the shims not falling out......

What will happen if not... continue to run like crap and if you have a bigger comp. piston you run the chance of the valves hitting the piston .... NOT COOL.....

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
OK at 6pm my time i got done with the whole thing.... the DECOMP. had loosened up by .004 and so i got that back.... the shims went in very easy... (was there a doubt) and no she starts and runs like she was new.... HARD..... :huh:

It is so hard to kick it now because it ACTUALLY HAS COMPRESSION..... the Intakes where never closeing all the way and was making me loose compression..... Tommarrow while im "working" i will take her out on my track and give her hell and see how she does.....

It does however start with 1/4 rev kick.... AWESOME..... but flip flops are not the thing to kick a quad over with ..... THats why it seemed so hard ... but then again those same flips a week ago could do it with no trouble.....

Gotta love COMPRESION.....

RAPPED APE Keep on chugging........ :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
killer, thanks for the info. I think I may need an adjustment. This winter, I'll do it.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I adjusted my decompression yesturday, It was .003 off, I noticed that my intake vales need to be shimed, or at least I think they do. The owners manual says +/-.001 at .006, I couldn't get a .005 to go between the cam and the valve. This means I need to shim, right? If so, who sells good ones, and can anyone hook me up? I'd like to buy them either today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I just finished doing mine. .006+/- .001 on the intake and .011 +/-.001 on the exhaust. Decompressor is the lash of the exhaust +.006 for standard cam .011+.006

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Intake is 16mm +/-2 and ex is 28mm +/-3 I must say that it is hard to find metric feeler guages.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ya me too.. I had mine since the bike come out on the market last year.. runs like new but i think i'm going to have it done real soon to be on the save side

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone adjust their valves yet. I was reading dirtwheels and they said it'd probably need to be done a couple of times a year, especially on the push rod motors. Sounds a bit much to me, but then again I'm used to 2-strokes.

Questions:
how do you know when to do it?
how to do it?
What happens if you don't do it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Set the engine to top dead center by aligning the fly wheel with the mark on the inspection hole. The intake needs to be at .006 and the exhaust needs to be at .011. The combination of the decompression and exhaust valve needs to be at .021. So if you have the exhaust perfect at .011, then you need to set the decompression at .010. I put a .011 feeler gauge in the exhaust and a .010 in the decompression at the same time when i adjust the decompresser. Starts fast and easy every single time! Hope this helps and good luck. If your valves are out of adjustment it will become harder to start and will sometimes backfire. Another good tale tale sign is you will hear chattering in the top end. If it doesn't start easy or you can hear your valves chattering then its a pretty good sign that your valves need adjusted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts