Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so got a new 2007 TRX 450ER in June, havent put many hours on it, maybe 10 or so, but my reason for buying the quad is our Labor Day trip! now, the quad will start right up with the choke on, but once i get a fast idle, and close the choke, it just dies... if I give it enough gas to stay alive when i kill the choke, and get it into gear, it runs ok, but i get a burble sound from the pipe, and the occasional backfire... I have heard many things from the people who "know" ie my buddies... I need to know if it is just a carb issue, that I can run in for warrenty service, or if I am needing a valve adjustment... and if I need an adjustment... does anyone have a "do it yourself" file for it??? Am kind of short on dough since I am dumping all my cash into paying this thing off!! Any help or words of advice would be very appreciated!

Just got a reply from another site saying that it is simply in need of an idle adjust... if this is true... any tips on how??

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
there are probably two things that would help a stock 06 machine with this issue.......

one....turn your idle up using the black knob located under the right side of the fuel tank...

second.....turn your a/f screw (if you can) out about 1/2 turn to help richen her up.......only cuzz the factory setting is rather lean...

the best solution..and not really too costly....is the HRC jet kit..... I believe Woodward specialties on this site sells them..... this will give you a new main jet....new leak jet... new needle......and 'how to' adjustments........ all you have to do is install the jets and remove the air box lid...... she will run/start better...... and its relatively cheap...

if you have $300 bux laying around.....go for the whole HRC kit....its a great 'wake up' for this machine....

jmho.....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
there are probably two things that would help a stock 06 machine with this issue.......

one....turn your idle up using the black knob located under the right side of the fuel tank...

second.....turn your a/f screw (if you can) out about 1/2 turn to help richen her up.......only cuzz the factory setting is rather lean...

the best solution..and not really too costly....is the HRC jet kit..... I believe Woodward specialties on this site sells them..... this will give you a new main jet....new leak jet... new needle......and 'how to' adjustments........ all you have to do is install the jets and remove the air box lid...... she will run/start better...... and its relatively cheap...

if you have $300 bux laying around.....go for the whole HRC kit....its a great 'wake up' for this machine....

jmho.....[/b]
Just wanna throw out there that the idle thing helped my bike GREATLY. It would bog alot and it would die if you shifted down while slowing down from a fast pace all the time and the idle fixed it and it runs better than ever. Jetted my bike with new exhaust ofc tho

·
Registered
30 Posts
I always have given (2) good one-one-thousand pumps of the throttle before starting mine... usually starts without having to pull out the choke... may try that as well before starting.. sounds like both the issues raise above is off... turn your idel screw clockwise a 1/4 turn first and try that for starters... then work with the carb A/F screw second.

·
Jim
2,823 Posts
Its on the bottom of the carb, but I am not 100% sure on the 06-08, someone will chime in soon.

A good source of reference material is located here!

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Its on the bottom of the carb, but I am not 100% sure on the 06-08, someone will chime in soon.

A good source of reference material is located here![/b]

it is on the bottom of the carb but theres no knob. its a screw and hard to get to unless you have a special tool or an aftermarket AF screw.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so since i still have this under warrenty, would this be an option to take it in for warrenty service??

·
Jim
2,823 Posts
so since i still have this under warrenty, would this be an option to take it in for warrenty service??[/b]

You would be far better off learning how to wrench on your quad yourself in the long run. But you could take it in and let them adjust on it, not saying it would be covered under warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts