Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I thought I would do a quick little write up and show you guys what happens when you use Hot Rods Bearings in the TRX450R, TRX450ER, just because I see this so commonly and when I say this I mean it. Don't use Hot Rods bearings! There is a lot of guys out there that are the type who will roll their eyes and say "yeah what ever" Anyways when you rebuild a bottom end I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that if you or your "builders" decide to use a Hot Rods Crank to at least spend the extra few dollars on the OEM Main Crank Bearings. The Cranks don't seem to be terrible (I my self ran a Hot Rods Crank Hard for many years with no issues) other then their balancing isn't the greatest from Factory but they will get you by as a normal rider (with OE bearings of cours). The pics below I have seen so many times where the Hot Rods bearings fail and destroy brand new Cranks, Cylinders, Pistons, Valves etc. What I have seen the most is that the Hot Rods (Right Side Bearing) tends to fail and takes out everything else if you're not lucky all because they have for some ungodly reason plastic separating/spacing the Bearing Rollers apart.

I will list OE Part Numbers for you as well. I might do a detailed Tutorial with very detailed pictures how to do a proper rebuild and parts list recommended along with things to look out for and common problems tricks to help you assemble the cases transmission installs and so on.

2004 - 2005 TRX450R Left Main Bearing (91001-HPI-671)
2004-2005 Right Main bearing (91008-HP1-671)

2006-2014 TRX450ER Left Main Bearing (91001-HP1-601)
2006 - 2014 TRX450ER Right Main Bearing (91002-HP1-601)

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's absolutely amazing to me. Not sure what the hell they're thinking or doing with how they make their bearings.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,668 Posts
The crazy thing is, I can imagine countless number of Hot Rod bearings are going into 450 engines. Those kits are all over eBay. And as I’m sure you guys have seen, HR is doing more than just crank bearing kits, they are doing all the different engine and transmission bearings. I personally haven’t seen any issues with those other bearing kits, but with all the problems I have seen with the crank bearings I definitely will never use ANY bearings from HR.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crazy thing is, I can imagine countless number of Hot Rod bearings are going into 450 engines. Those kits are all over eBay. And as I’m sure you guys have seen, HR is doing more than just crank bearing kits, they are doing all the different engine and transmission bearings. I personally haven’t seen any issues with those other bearing kits, but with all the problems I have seen with the crank bearings I definitely will never use ANY bearings from HR.
Yeah it's crazy. I feel like they need to fix that issue or something...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hmph, there seems to be allot of crap out there these days. Usually aimed right at our sport. Seems like even the vendors that used to be the best are even slipping into cheeping out on some stuff. And considering we order everything off the net these days it just gets easier to sell this crap.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,668 Posts
Unfortunately that is the case, mainly because everyone wants the cheapest possible price, and then they are shocked when that cheap item breaks or causes problems. So guys need to sell cheap parts to make some money. Look into JSD for some good parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts