Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To simplify, would I be terribly dissappointed with a Hotcams Stage 1, to get usable bottom and mid without dropping a high compression ($200 mind you) piston in? The debate on which cam to buy is nuts, as long as the Hotcams is reliable and adds to the usable power, how can you go wrong for $120? Without starting another cam related feud, what's the answer?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Smoker@Jul 27 2004, 08:20 PM
To simplify, would I be terribly dissappointed with a Hotcams Stage 1, to get usable bottom and mid without dropping a high compression ($200 mind you) piston in?  The debate on which cam to buy is nuts, as long as the Hotcams is reliable and adds to the usable power, how can you go wrong for $120?  Without starting another cam related feud, what's the answer?
for the money its is way worth it. If you ride in trails stay with the Stage 1 ....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I trail ride and race mx occasionally, is the stage I till a good choice? Thanks for you reply.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Smoker@Jul 27 2004, 08:32 PM
I trail ride and race mx occasionally, is the stage I till a good choice?  Thanks for you reply.
the stage 1 gives you more bottom. which is probably what you are looking for...the Stage 2 gives you more top end, But some say they loose a little on bottom......I love my power to be now, (stage 1) not in a second. (stage 2). But thats just me.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
wat would the stage 2 cam be used for then, like primarily?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Trx450Ryan@Jul 27 2004, 09:18 PM
wat would the stage 2 cam be used for then, like primarily?
MX

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm looking at this from a money perspective, I know this is liable to start another explosive thread but I don't feel like spending $200 on a cam. I don't want a topend monster because I won't be able to use that type of power the way I ride but I don't want YFZ's to walk all over me either. Hey lude, do you have the stage I?

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
So would a hmf full or full dmc alien with a stagew 2 and air filter be a good setup for mx? Im still debating over wat exaust ill get, if hmf has resonable shipping ill get it if not pick up a dmc at the store.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trinity, it's what I have on my 400ex, there nice, it's a lot like a Curtis Sparks system, made of stainless and has a replaceable mount, since they all break eventually. Check it out, although it's in the $400 price range.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
K i have 2 questions on istalation of a cam, if i get a hot cams stage 2, will i just be able to drop it in and then just bolt everything back, or do i need to change the shims? secondly how do i brake it in after instalation, thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by Smoker@Jul 28 2004, 10:39 AM
I'm looking at this from a money perspective, I know this is liable to start another explosive thread but I don't feel like spending $200 on a cam. I don't want a topend monster because I won't be able to use that type of power the way I ride but I don't want YFZ's to walk all over me either.  Hey lude, do you have the stage I?
No I have the Sparks Cam...I wouldnt trade it for nothing. But the Sparks cam is way to expensive...you said you were looking for a cheaper one....I would listen to what Dez, above, has to say...he knows his stuff....

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
so ur syaing i should get an assorted shim set or wat? also any info on braking in a cam, ?

·
Premium Member
3,559 Posts
Here's the deal on the cams. Desert was right on the money, I'll fill in the blanks a little bit.

The Stage 1 in a '02 CRF is a 24% gain in torque and hp over the stock cam at 4500 rpm. You lose 1/2 hp at peak with the Stage 1. And that 1/2 hp comes 500 rpm earlier in the rpm range. What this all means is that it takes a considerably smaller amount of time for the engine to accelerate to it's peak hp number in any given gear. That translates into serious acceleration. The throttle response difference is unbelievable. With a mildly ported cylinder head, the Stage 1 will make 2 hp more at the peak, 800 rpm earlier, and 32% more torque and hp at 4500 rpm on the CRF, with more hp clear to the rev limiter. The difference in acceleration is scary between ported and non-ported. The difference between a ported, Stage 1 and stock '02 is incredible in the CRF. Don't believe that? Check out the most recent Dirt Bike magazine, there is an article in there. And remember, the '02 is closer to what the TRX is than the 04 CRF is in the article. With smaller exhaust valves the TRX will probably have even better bottom end and with the longer stroke of the TRX it will be magnafied even more. I sure wish I could get one for the dyno.

The Stage 2 on the other hand will probably be a better drop-in cam for the TRX. The TRX has better low end flow through the head than the CRF does, this means it will probably cut the loss at the bottom that the CRF sees with this cam. That means you will have a gain all the way thru the rpm range and very little if any loss at the bottom. The top end should be about even with what the Sparks Aggressive cam would be with better power in the over-rev. With the CRF and a ported head and the Stage 2, it GAINS bottom end power and stretches what was there even further and makes more in the over-rev with a lot less fall off after the peak has been reached.

And the reason I say the Stage 2 may be a better drop-in is because it won't be as violent at the bottom end. If you had been in the dyno cell the very first time I twisted the throttle on the Stage 1 and ported head, you'd know why I am saying what I am saying. It made the same power as the YZ450 did at 4500 rpm. :wacko: No other changes! Didn't even change the jetting! And as you all know, the YZ450 has been accused of having too much at the bottom end because you have to control the throttle better to go as fast as the CRF. A Stage 1 may be what Nasser Elsonbaty needs for his TRX to haul his mass around, I don't know too many 300 lb bodybuilders with a TRX but, if I did this is what I would recommend. You'd have to be strong to stay on it in the woods.

Hope that helped.

Tony

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Can any one tell me if i need shims for a stage 2, and how to brake the cam in after i install it, ??
PLEASE

Ryan

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Thanks for the help, didnt mean to be so persistent, but i was hoping there was a yes or no answer to follow lol, im looking to buy an atv power pack, amd it inlcudes shims so it says, i havnt personaly looked at it has any ever used theses, it is recommended with the pipe im gettin, but i do no no wat shims im gettin. Any one ever have experience with these kits? Or Can anyone recommend a shim kit i should get wil im at the place to make sure i have all the parts i need, alos wat do i use to cehck valve clearences, sorry bout the questions, but i dont get my manuel till tomoro and tomoro is my last day at work before the instal and i wanna see wat tools i need and since i work a car dealer i might be able to borrow a tool that i might not have, so if u could desert or sumone post a list of the tools used that would greatly be aprecciated, thanks guys, i just am making sure i dont go wrong when i do this swap, it will be my first.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Alright thanks alot guys, help apreciated, sorry for being persisten but i wanna be on the safe side when i go to do it, ill have my maual ready and i think all i need it he feeler guages i got the rest so i think im good to go i aoreciate the help and ill let you no how it all goes, i should be going to get the stuff on sat, so if i do should be in here by monday lol ttyl thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts