Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there have a twist throttle on there trx450r? Do you like it? Just thinking about getting one and am trying to find it. If anybody does have one where did you get it?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got one, but the only reason I have it is for racing 2+ hrs. It defintely gives you more grip...I got one directly from Motion Pro, but they were backordered...the latest one I got was from www.motoworldracing.com if you call ask for Jeremy. Tell him Seth said to call.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have one also. I wanted one quickly so I called Terrycable.

The cable was $26 and the twister was a Vortex whirlpull design for about $17. They have one with a shorter pull for MX, but I prefer more pull for control in the woods.

With 2 day shipping from CA to PA the total for everything was $52.00.

They also offer a cable with steel braided covering, but it costs more. I've never had a problem with a cable so i got the one with stock type covering.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ive got a motion pro - cost $46. MUCH better, much more comfortable.If you are used to riding a motorcycle this is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
If you have never used one, I suggest you get a cheap one. They are very hard to get used to if you have never used one. Thump throttles are easy to used and you can just take your thumb off when you get in trouble. Sometimes you can get in trouble with a twist, so, for now, I would suggest the long throw just so you can see how it works. You would be suprised how many racers used thumb throttle. Sometimes it's because that is all they have used or they just feel more comfortable with one. I grow up on thumb, but I did try the twist. But, everytime I went into a burm I keep blimping the throttle and I would get out of control. Just a thought! :lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think almost all MX racers use thumb...but hafter 2 hours, my thumb would cramp up and I couldn't use it...I finally gave up and trained on a twist throttle...it was really tough after riding with a thumb for 4 years. I still screw up and blip it sometimes in the woods, especially if I'm pulling hard and I'm tired.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
The thing I really hated, is I like to be able to spin around at a dead stop ( that's why I believe you don't need reverse) and with a twist throttle. I coundn't seem to hold the front brake and spin on a dime every single time. So, I sold the twist throttle and been happy ever since. As far as getting tired, the more you ride the less tired your thumb will be. If your going to race for two hours, then you must ride for four, so your thumb will get used to it. Your thumb can get stronger! As Doug Gust say's handlebar time, it improves everything! :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yah but I dont have time to ride, plus you have more grip with your hand with a twist. I race for 2 hrs straight and it bothers the crap out of me with a thumb throttle...twist throttle I can do the same hting you do...just takes more time to learn.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I can agree with the grip, I did notice when you first get on, the grip seems better. The main thing that matters is what is best for you!! Most of my friends use twist, so if it works for you, use it! I think that's great that you can use the twist! Some of the things I have read say you can get longer riding on a twist. So, don't mind me! It's what ever works best for you. If I didn't ride at the track, I might consider trying the twist again, but the riding I do. I just feel more confident with a thumb, especially when I'm racing someone!! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts