Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's a little ironic that my previous post was about a turbocharger haha, really though I have been planning this for a long time to began with. I know some of you may be asking why am I doing this or what's the purpose? Well I own 2 450's, I have my Black 05 Built Big Bore and a red 2006 TRX450ER I got from my sister after the crank failed. My idea is not to get to crazy I'm not building a show bike. I'm going to do this kind of cheap but a fun project. At first I was just going to do a mild build combo of big bore, Stage 2 or 3 Cam, CP 13:1 Piston and Bore the carburetor That WAS the original plan before the turbo. But the Turbo kept coming to mind lol.

I am unsure of the Turbocharger yet. I was looking at the VZ21 but it seems awfully small to me impossibly it can work up to 600ccs which I just don't see that thing producing enough CFM. The 2nd turbo I have in mind I am also looking at the TD07 Turbocharger, Shockingly I have never asked John what Turbocharger he used on his Turbo 450R at Racers Edge that he ran years ago. I'm in there often enough since I live 20 minutes away from his shop, they do all my machine work so I might just go down there with this week just to ask him about that.

For the Engine internals I am thinking I am going to toss a new OE Crank Shaft, New OE Bearings, and maybe a Forged Piston like a Wiseco or a CP 12:1 and have RE mill the top of the Piston or when I port the head I will cut the combustion chamber a little bigger for more Volume if I can get away with removing 12cc's then I'll just go that rout and if not I'll remove 6cc's and have them take 6cc's from the piston dome. So between the piston and combustion chamber at negative 6cc's I would be at the 9:7.1 CR, ideal for boost.

The Turbocharger I was thinking about originally mounting it right down by where the header pipe comes off the head BUT because I wanna do a Draw Through set up I wan't to keep the Carburetor as close as possible to the intake port of the head to make sure it's still semi responsive. I see the Benefit of a Blow Through style is because it would be very responsive due to the Accelerator pump squirting directly at the intake valves as intended, but then I would have to build a pressure box for the carburetor to sit in (which I can do I do have a TIG welder and fab skills that's not and issue) but I wanna try to stay away from that rout if I can. The down side to me doing a Draw Through like I'm talking about would probably be a lack of throttle response due to the accelerator pump not shooting directly at the intake valves. Also I would think keeping the turbocharger as close to the exhaust port is better because it will spool a lot faster if I'm not mistaken.

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,246 Posts
Sounds like a fun project! It seems like everyone recommends a blow through, especially if it’s not going to be a drag only quad. the BT is a bit more work, but should be easier to ride, more responsive, and easier to tune.

Sure would be nice if some of the guys from the early days were still here, there were several that had experience with turbos. Hopefully you can find enough info to get you pointed in the right direction.

If you’re running boost and going to make some decent power I would probably do a Carrillo rod and then have that crank welded.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
Indeed. trued, welded and balanced. Does falicon still do cranks?

Reactions: Ryan94Wright

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply's.

I was also thinking about the rod as well because I am curious of how much cylinder pressure that genuine rod can handle before bending and causing some major destruction. Another thing I thought about is trying to find a good cam that has more overlap. I don't know to much about the HRC Specs but I'm sure when I do a search on here I'll find my answer I'll have to compare a bunch of different cams to see what might work best.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought they went out but wasnt sure. I think crank works is still around?
I just looked at their website and seems like they are still in business. From what I see they only sell cranks for 04-05 and 2006 + and banshee's etc but nothing for custom rods alone for the TRX450's. I'm sure they would if needed but it's not a special service like back in the day, My theory is probably because the TRX450R builds are not as popular of thing anymore so it don't bring them enough business because a lot of the guys back then were roughly my current age I'm 26 and a lot of them have kids now and family's, SideXSides and other interest's which include more fun for the entire family so on which is not a bad thing....hell it's just that's what happens life goes on and I completely respect that.

Now what would be cool though is to see more guys would be interested in doing more builds again and see more stuff like back in the day and sharing their projects etc keep the 450 forums rolling like they were... I try to rom time to time If we can get more guys knowledgeable guys my age learning this stuff and doing their own custom builds and learning too would be fun/cool to see and do meet ups and races and so on.

·
4,246 Posts
Crankworks builds cranks for everything. They also sell their Pro Rods for both gens of the 450, as well as many other machines. Their main thing isn’t selling cranks, they’re mainly a rebuilder, so you send them your crank and tell them what you want done. They can do anything you want to a crank.

·
4,246 Posts
The problem is that SXS are the “cool” thing now. Manufacturers make Boat-loads of money on them, and people will finance a $25K SXS because it will make them cool instead of buying a nice quad and having just as much fun. It seems like most the guys that I know that have them rarely ride them, and when they do it’s to go to their tree stand or something. it’s funny that you say you can take the whole family with in the SXS, but really you could buy four nice quads for less than the price of a SXS lol. SXS are like trucks, everybody thinks they need one to be cool and they will look macho driving one, but really you just look like a dufus for buying a big dumb truck that you don’t need, handles like crap, and gets terrible mileage lol.

I dunno, I’m older than you and I’m still really into quads. A lot of the younger generation talk about getting a quad so They save a bit of money and then blow it on an Xbox or new phone instead of a quad. They just don’t realize what they are missing out on.

I always have a build or two going, but I don’t share them, nobody really seems to be interested in builds anymore. It’s fun to try different stuff, porting and stuff, but I do it because I love it. I mean look at all of the posts that Ghott put up recently, no responses at all. Think of all the time and effort he put into those videos. I appreciate them, but it’s info I know, but you don’t see new guys asking questions or showing interest in actual engine building anymore or different mods or tricks like back in the day. Now it’s just how can I get it slapped back together the easiest with the cheapest parts. Nobody wants to spend time finding parts, planning, and putting together a turbo build.

Sorry for the meandering, ranting post lol. I’ll delete it if you want. I hope you stick with your build. I want to see it as it goes along and you source parts and make it happen. I always thought a turbo build would be fun, but for my type of riding it really isn’t ideal, but just the build part sounds fun to me lol. Stick with it man and keep the updates coming.

·
Truck Yea
5,457 Posts
This place is sorta quiet these days save for a few of us. Facebook became the norm and its full of the: which exhaust is the best, my quad hasnt been used in 5 years why wont it start, how can i make it faster for 100 bucks type of stuff. I shared my build a bit, by now its pretty blase really these days with them. Unless your redesigning the wheel its top end work or whatever and your done. I LOVED garys write up, bit more technical than I am but man it was awesome to see how these sorts of things are done and why.

A SXS is cool, but around here no trail will fit them really and there are no legal areas to ride so a bike or quad is a better idea. If I lived out west by the dunes or maybe near a major trail system id buy myself the can am maverick turbo super delxue whatever it is..that things like a damn trophy truck. But Id also be out using it all the time. Thingis with them it seems you can go 100 miles no issue and go on destination stuff. When I was in glamis they went to baja for like 100 miles or something.

I still love the quad though. Im happy with my current build and enjoy riding it. I do 2 destination trips a year-glamis and then WV, NH, MI or whatever. Always a fun time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts