Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friendly folks. I have my 8yr old son riding a 2006 TRX90. Always starts. Idles great. Runs fine most of the time.

Occasionally, after riding for a while, 30-45min, it will bog down when throttle is applied (he’s new and really only uses 1st & 2nd gear), just no power in response to throttle demand, engine slows, almost cuts out. Release throttle and it’s back to normal idle.

Last time it happened I let it cool for 5 minutes then it started up and got us home with no issues. But I can’t take this out on a trail ride knowing it could leave my 8 yr old stranded.
I got two suggestions from Facebook.
- Debris in the carb bowl, which I know how to fix myself. This problem did pop up right after he landed a jump. So, maybe?
- “Igntion/coil pack” getting hot, which is not something I’ve messed with before but am confident I could figure out.

So, I’m here to ask if any of you folks have any input? Where should I start? Is it one of these problems I listed? Or is there something else I should consider first?

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Making HP ain’t free. . .
4,582 Posts
I agree with sediment in the carb. I’ve had this exact thing happen. Pull the bowl, clean it out, and spray carb cleaner through the jets as well. Should fix it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely was nasty inside the bowl. The mesh filter inside the fuel tank finally wore out after many years, and whatever had been settled inside the tank is now in the carb. Thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts