Honda TRX 450R banner

TRX520R Kit

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  dart450r 
#1 ·
If you are wanting to go big with your 450R then this is for you. nmotion has come out with a big bore 520 kit. This is a complete new cylinder (no core charge), with pistons and gaskets. Only simple case modifications are needed which anyone can do themselves. nmotion also has a pipe that can go with it as well as a big valved head. There are many different variations available. If interested go check it out. www.nmotiontechnology.com

#2 ·
I cant get anything on that web site to come up .... :huh:

I want to see that 520 kit and see what all is involved in it..... :D

I might be getting another R (or another quad) pretty soon and might just want to go wild with my R now....... :lol:

#3 ·
Yup, I would possibly be interested as well but cant pull up any info off that site. I would like to know what kind of parts they use, for instance what kind of piston and rings. Also a price would be really nice.

#4 ·
Agreed...........

#8 ·
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Jul 27 2004, 09:57 AM
  is 520 really necessary? man the 450 is fast I would love to ride a 520....doesnt that also put the reliability factor into the sh*thole?
Why because it would have a bigger piston and cylinder? I keep hearing that statement and it doesnt make sense in my head. The only down side is the added reciprocating weight of the bigger piston but if the piston included is a quality piston like a JE then it could possibly weigh the same as the stocker if not a little less.

#10 ·
Im sure there is some reasoning in that considering I have heard it from a lot of other people but I think it may just be a myth. The way I see it, if it is done right with quality parts then you may actually get more life out of it. Another way of looking at it is the fact that the quad will SCREAM and you wont ever want to get off the throttle so it may only last a day, lol.

#12 ·
The 520 kit comes with a new Cylinder so there is no reliability ?s to it.... the reliability comes into play when you start boreing it out.... (get too close to the water jacket) .... but if it is done right then there wont be an issue..... like Lason said the piston will prob. weigh close to the same as the stocker.... maybe a little more but so long as you dont put a high rev box (like over 10,500 rpm) the rotating mass shouldnt play a factor....

I think that it would be awesome but when you get into their new head for it as well with big valves all the way around..... THAT could get tricky with the big valves and big cams... thats how i blew my 440ex up..... droped the valves into the jug and it looked llike a bomb went off in it.....

I would love to see a write up on that kit..... i bet it would scream out of the hole....

#14 ·
Originally posted by Jumbo747@Jul 27 2004, 11:18 AM
i dont kno alot about engine internals but i thought going a larger bore like to a 520 would take away reliability
I put a 440 kit in my 400ex, and the reliabilaty shot to sh!t. ...and it didnt make it very much faster either....it made it even with my stock z400.

#16 ·
Originally posted by KGB@Jul 27 2004, 07:33 PM
Reliability and performance are directly related to the builder and the synergy of the components. There is also another choice for a aftermarket 520 cylinder, but this one is billett, not forged.
I didnt have a problem with the engine itself after installing the 440 kit. What it did was make the bike way harder to start. Alot harder to tune, and for some reason alot harder to keep in tune. Sometimes I cant get the bike to start at all. Plus now its like the bike is just rattleing apart. Heck I know this isnt related at all, but the other day my son jumped it and the front shock mount broke right off the A-arm....we had someone weld it back on for now but Dang...Ive never seen that happen....(bye the way does anyone have any stock 400ex front a-arms for sale?)....

Yes I know most of these problems are related to tuner/builder...just my experience.....

#17 ·
In my experience, the way to build a nice running, inexpensive, reliable 400EX is to do the following (we've built several of these):

Ross 87mm piston (the only piston assembly that doesn't outweigh stock)
39mm FCR carb
Mild head work - mostly port matching & a little bowl work
HRC cam (or a Web 450/451 if you want a little more top end at the expense of bottom - Hot Cam S2 if you don't want to spend the $$$ for the HRC)
Open the airbox a little (do not remove the lid - drill a vent behind the filter & install a port)
Pipe of your choice
8 plate clutch setup of your choice.

These mods will make it accelerate as fast as a stock 450R (power will be delivered much differenly though) & as reliable as stock.

The quad starts more easily than stock, runs well, and doesn't require any additional maintenance.

This is the same setup we ran at the 12hrs of America last year - won our class and came in 14th or 15th overall against a field of numerous YFZs, 250Rs, etc.

There are a few other tricks you can do to bump power up a little more without getting too wild, but those detailed above are the basics.

This will not be the fastest 400EX out there, but it will be much faster than a typical 400EX or 440, very reliable, and won't break the bank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.