Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2006 trx450er (gutted exhaust, athena 500 big bore)
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a running 2006 trx450er with a cam, 500 big bore, and the baffle has been removed from the silencer. Thinking of doing a build on it. What do you guys think I should do next. I put new plastics and a graphics kit on it to make it look better because it had been rolled on pavement. I’m thinking because it has plenty in the hp and torque department I should do shocks and a arms? What are other mods you guys think I should do. Any good motor mods that haven’t already been done.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Snow

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would just start by going over it. Order a service manual. Re grease bearings, look for worn out things. Hopefully the motor is all good. You know, buy some handlebars you like. Check your brake pads, chain, sprockets. flush the coolant/oil. Then ride it for a while. Everybody wants trick stuff like a arms and suspension(me too). See what you don't like and start there. Personally I usually go for a good aftermarket adjustable wider axle right away because even an extra 2 inches of added rear width is noticeable to me. Don't get to hung up on the eye candy (I did). Its a off road vehicle, and most people don't maintain there stuff that well. Ya never know what ya got till you put eyes/fingers on it. There's a girlfriend joke in there somewhere...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same thing. I’m going to go through the steering because it’s a workout to turn and I rode my buddies and it’s pretty easy to turn in comparison. Already gave the motor a full service.

·
Truck Yea
5,943 Posts
make sure the steering stem isnt bent, the plastic bearing on the top is in good shape, and the stem is properly attached to the frame and tie rods are all good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
make sure the steering stem isnt bent, the plastic bearing on the top is in good shape, and the stem is properly attached to the frame and tie rods are all good.
Just replaced the plastic top piece because it was like a 5 filler part and it had cracks in it. Put grease on it and it feels a bit better but still hard to turn. Put the oem wheel and tires back on to make sure it wasn’t my heavy ass wheels. Same problem. I have the tie rod ends. If that doesn’t work I’ll do bearing. If it’s still hard to turn I’ll pull the stem off and see if it’s bent. Chances are it’s the stem but new hearing and rod ends can never hurt. The old owner wrapped it around a tree once and rolled it trail riding. Chances are he bent it.

·
Truck Yea
5,943 Posts
yea stems prob bent. id also change the bearing in the frame they were out.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
465 Posts
Dude nice quad for the price. But suspension is huge, Honda fell very short on stock shocks. It doesn’t matter how much more power you put into it, without good suspension it’s counterproductive. I have an 06 with hrc kit, full sparks exhaust and aluminum air box with ope end lid (foam filter for DIRT riding) after putting on elka legacy series shocks (stage 5 rear & stage 3 fronts) my riding skill level went way up. They’re expensive but exceedingly worth the money. It doesn’t feel like I’m riding a plank anymore. I’m flying over whoops in 5th gear skimming right over the top of them. I’m riding much faster on corners and winding trails (4th & 5th) the whole ride, and jumping is a breeze like landing on soft pillows with no gravity lol. Put shocks in your budget, trust me you’ll be surprised what you can do. Oh and wheeeling is much easier and longer now.

·
Registered
2006 trx 450er. Stock motor, sparks full exhaust, elka legacy series shocks, and many more boltons!!
465 Posts
Dude nice quad for the price. But suspension is huge, Honda fell very short on stock shocks. It doesn’t matter how much more power you put into it, without good suspension it’s counterproductive. I have an 06 with hrc kit, full sparks exhaust and aluminum air box with open end lid (foam filter for DIRT riding). That’s it but after putting on elka legacy series shocks (stage 5 rear & stage 3 fronts) my riding skill level went way up. They’re expensive but exceedingly worth the money. It doesn’t feel like I’m riding a plank anymore. I’m flying over whoops in 5th gear skimming right over the top of them. I’m riding much faster on corners and winding trails (4th & 5th) the whole ride, and jumping is a breeze like landing on soft pillows with no gravity lol. Put shocks in your budget, trust me you’ll be surprised what you can do. Oh and wheeeling is much easier and longer now. I’m beating guys with all sorts of engine mods, I mean there quad is definitely faster than mine but stock shocks, and they can’t keep up with me on whoops , corners, jumps, and especially out on the trail. All due to great suspension.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sorry fronts are NOT legacy, there just elka stage 2,s . It’s been corrected lol. H****? 💋 💋 make up? Started off on the wrong 🦶. 😂

1 - 13 of 13 Posts