Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done some extensive research on both the 450r and the predator. I am going to be making my purchase in about a week. I will mostly be trail riding and jumping (I will be doing a hand full of track visits and dune runs throughout the year also). I am going from a 99 cr250 (which I love to jump) to a quad now and I'm not sure which one to get. I have spent quite some time here checking out a ton of you guys posts and I'm starting to get the feeling that the honda isn't as refined a machine as I thought it was. People snapping wrists from the violent bump steer, trx450r eating oil, starting issues if stalled, etc. I have spent about a month reading up on both bikes and the predator seems to come with alot of "aftermarket" parts that everyone seems to putting on the 450r....wider stronger axle, aftermarket shocks, the prosteering system on the predatr has close to 0 bump steer so I wont need a stabilizer, stronger wheels, etc. I really like the looks of the 450r better and in the showroom I feel a bit more comftorable on the 450r. I am a fan of honda and have been ever since I started riding like 19 years ago. I just want to make the right purchase....and not need to dump a crapload of funds into fixing problems or adding aftermarket parts on whichever bike I get.

Any help appreciated.....ALOT

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
From my experence the R is faster and handles better. It is also quite a bit lighter than the predator, this will let you get a little more air and it will be more controllable. Yes, you may want a steering dampner for the R but they are cheap through schmitthead. The people that are having a hard time starting there 450r probably aren't using there hotstart or don't have there carb jetting right because mine starts up 1st kick probably 99% of the time. the R seemed a little more comfortable of the two for trailriding also. Those are my opinions, hope they help.

BTW Welcome to the site! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I work at a Polaris/Honda dealership, and I picked the honda :D . I guess the new predators have a new tranny setup cuz the old ones were giving troubles. My R usually starts in 1 kick, and when it is warm I barely have to kick it to get it going. I guess it is just your preference. I kinda hate the predator plastic also, where it mounts by the tank always comes loose, and the big gap by the tank is just ugly. The 450 is alot more comfortable too. The predator does have some nice shocks though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
ive ridden both and the 450r is alot nicer....the predator is like a tank....all polaris are

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the input. Have any of you experienced the 450r using oil? If I do mostly trailriding, how often should I change the oil in it? One last thing.....whats a decent out the door price for a 450R? I want all the info before I pick up my red hottie next week.

Yes, you may want a steering dampner for the R but they are cheap through schmitthead.[/b]
...How much are they, what brand, and how do I go about picking up one?

Thanks for welcoming me also.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
Yes, mine does use a tiny bit of oil, nothing to freak out about.

schmitthead carries the denton dampners, PM him for the price.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i know i have posted this before but... mine does not burn any oil. i think it has mostly to do with break-in. everyone has a different belief when it comes to break-in. i say break it in the way it will be ridden. and... i change my oil on both sides (motor&trans) after every third riding trip (@9-12hrs) with a 10-40 service manual recommended. i trail ride like you. more importantly though... i have to clean the air filter after every ride. i picked up my 450r about 12 weeks ago for $6400 out-the-door. i have heard cheaper though. this included tax and FL title. my dealer does not add any "set-up" fee or other service charges. a little tip... get the "Service Manual" trx450r specific asap. there are a few left on ebay. good luck!

as soon as i find it again, i will post a link i found to a good break-in theory... in my opinion of course.

found it...
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

·
Registered
733 Posts
Originally posted by OverBoost@Jul 4 2004, 07:32 PM
Has anyone here used this break in procedure?

Does Schmitthead carry other products?????
i used that method on my 450r and two friends of mine both broke in their z400s that way too, but everyone has a different theory. you should do some more research of your own before taking anyones advice though.

if you want to know what other products Schmitthead carries, look in TS Racing under the sponcers section. good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I had my 416ex I could beat all predators in strait sand drags your better off with a 450r LOOK DOWN!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
take your pic, its your choice. But, in my opinion you would be making a huge mistake going with the HEAVY predetor.........R all the way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yea dude i borke mine in the way motoman said and its great , uses no oil and is hella fast. i do ONLY trail riding and somejumping cause there aint poop else up here! great machine and i am a 100% thrilled honda customer!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
HONDA RULES!!!! Honda owner for life! I broke my in slow though the heat cycles and it doesn't burn a drop! And I change my oil every two rides. No matter what!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
I broke mine in on a trail ride. A pretty leisurely pace, with some wide open throttle areas for a short period of time. Rode a whole tank that way. Hasn't used a drop of oil at all. Went through 5 tanks on the weekend at the sand dunes and never used a drop. It also starts real easy. When it is warm, I can stay on the seat and kick it over. This bike rocks!!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
OverBoost, I'm just gonna ramble here for a sec. My buddies wife bought him a Predator for Fathers Day, bless her heart. I'm grateful to her because it confirmed my convictions about my 450r. I took mine off the trailer, put on the choke and gave her a solid kick. She came to life and waited patiently while I dressed out. I had to help my buddy get his off the trailer, (no ramp), cause the Pred's pretty damn heavy. We looked it over, and your right, it does have some pretty neat lookin' stuff. Steel Braided brake lines? Auto Zone will sell you Steel Braided sleeves for all of your hoses. Hondas R & D folks went state-of-the-art with their brake lines. The best brakes in the atv world! That cool shock adjustment knob on the rear resivor?, wheres the ones for the front? Talk about an adjustment nightmare! By the way, the owners manual for the Pred is on backorder!? Figure that one out. Each of the 450r shocks have 3 simple adjustments with very specific functions. I will admit that those Maxis Razrs are sweet. Are those steel rims? Anyway, we topped off the tank, (My Honda Dealer took care of my first tank for me), and fired it up. I went to my baby and shut off the choke and let her purr while my bud got geared. When he was ready, he shut off the choke and it died. He pushed the cool button, it started, he let off the throttle and it died. It was plenty warm but it would not idle. Oh well, we're ridin' anyway! We took off, and fuel just poured out of the top of the tank. What the f---? (long story short, after a 'repaired' cap and a new cap, come to find out the neck was cracked at the threads. Tank on order...) Anywho, Me and red are rockin', havin' a blast shredin' the Pred! We get to these killer hills and conquer a few and then he stops, gets off the bike and his seat has come off! He put's it back on, hill or two later, the seat comes off again! This went on for the rest of the ride. He stuck it out for a few hours, Pred Pride I guess, gas all over, bike wont idle, seat wont stay put?...... Anyway OverBoost, thats my story. Do yourself a favor, look at the bikes real good. Look how pristine the Honda is, not one piece of unnessesary crap, and look at the Polaris, looks like they just stuff poop anywhere. Howabout that huge oil resevior? No need for an oil cooler with that much oil on hand! Oh yeah, wait till you have to adjust the shifter for your boot! Good Luck! One more thing, go to "Predatorowners.com" and look at the barage of crap. This site my friend, is a quality site. Read the endless lists of problems Predator owners are having, that should help you with your desicion........Good Luck and "GO RED!"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the help. This forum really does rock. I really hate when I have to fish through flame after flame just to get to some good information. I'm gonna ride red!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Originally posted by OverBoost@Jul 6 2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the help. This forum really does rock. I really hate when I have to fish through flame after flame just to get to some good information. I'm gonna ride red!
very good choice :D

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I can still start mine with one kick too! And even when it's warm it starts very easy!
So ride red you won't be dissappointed!!! B)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts