Honda TRX 450R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I would go on here and start a rant, maybe someone else agrees with me haha. So I rebuilt a top end on YFZ450 for the first time (not the first YFZ450 I ever worked on) I have done some typical maintenance like carb cleaning and valve adjustments on YFZ's In the past but never realized how much they annoy me compared to Honda TRX450R and TRX450ER. First of all it seems to me that The TRX450R is SO SIMPLE!

So anyways.... Is it just me or what in the world is Yamaha thinking with the YFZ450 and Who the heck would wanna own one? I'll admit they're pretty fast out the gate as a stock bike and definitely looks good!

BUT

What I hate about them though is

1. Filling the Radiator. Why is the Radiator cab located in a place to where you need to Remove the entire radiator shroud in order to check or fill the coolant, then it's almost impossible to ad the coolant jug in that position under the fender, you cannot even get a funnel in there with the gas tank off... It's completely stupid!

2. The Oil Changes. I don't understand why they need an oil cooler tank and the oil needs to be filled in 2 different places... It's a 450R! A high maintenance machine should be easy to do a quick oil change. Look at the TRX450 you just drain the Engine oil from 1 spot, also the oil filter is Right there in the same place, also 1 less screw... I know... (Yes I know that the 400EX is like that but it's not a High maintenance machine that requires as many oil changes like the 450's)

3. Valve Adjustments and Valves. Why do they need an extra Cam and another Valve!? That makes such a damn extra hassle to deal with when adjusting valves I know it don't sound like a lot but I mean it ad's quiet a bit more time to doing a valve adjustment vs the TRX450. I like the Honda because you pop off the Cam Tower which is four 10mm bolts after then there's access to all 4 Valve shims! Easy... The Yamaha...10 bolts later, 2 cam caps. Not to mention Honda is making just about the exact same HP with the TRX450ER with 1 less Cam and 1 Less valve so to me it's almost useless to have the extra moving parts inside the engine when really modded vs modded seems like the TRX450's are making more Power with roughly the same mods and sometimes less mods then the YFZ450.

4. They are ridiculously expensive (If we were comparing Brand new vs Brand new to the TRX vs YFZ) and yes I get that it's "They're faster stock vs stock" But you can go Buy a 10,000 Quad that (once again yes I know it's it's faster stock vs stock and better suspension) vs a 7000 Bike that You put $2500.00 in mods into STILL costing less then the YFZ450 and the TRX450 becomes the more powerful machines and 2 times the reliability.

6. I personally do not like the way they feel when you're sitting on it or riding it.

Maybe it's just me. But I really do not like the YFZ450 at all if you guys can't tell. I am not trying to bash the YFZ450 like the YFZ Guys do to the TRX450's if you ever notice anyone who owns a YFZ450 only thing they can say "oh the TRXis slow". I would like to say that the YFZ450 is NOT a terrible bike, I just disagree with a lot of the things that Yamaha does that makes no sense to me that makes me stay far from wanting to own one. Not only the YFZ Either I mean this is with a few other Yamaha's I have worked on vs the Honda's I have worked on. just seems like Honda makes it simple to repair, relatively easy to make power, and still be reliable. I get that the YFZ is more strictly a "Race bike" from factory but small things like having to dismantling half of the damn bike to do simple task's makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I agree with you and I never was a fan. They are poorly designed like you mention. On top of everything you mentioned they have a horrible subframe design which breaks because the upper and lower mounts are only about 2" apart. The A-arms have no rake to them, the frame is just flat and the riding position like you mentioned is like sitting on top of a 2x4 and it feels like the handlebars are lower than the seat. The ergos and geometry just suck and I never understood why so many people think they are good. Yamaha makes really good dirtbikes but they suck at making quads.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you and I never was a fan. They are poorly designed like you mention. On top of everything you mentioned they have a horrible subframe design which breaks because the upper and lower mounts are only about 2" apart. The A-arms have no rake to them, the frame is just flat and the riding position like you mentioned is like sitting on top of a 2x4 and it feels like the handlebars are lower than the seat. The ergos and geometry just suck and I never understood why so many people think they are good. Yamaha makes really good dirtbikes but they suck at making quads.
Thanks for the Reply. I'm glad I am not the only person that see's this. It's funny to me because I have a buddy who is way into the YFZ450's and he swears by them.... But he's never ever had to work on his own....

Another thing I noticed too is that their aluminum seems to be a lot weaker... Okay maybe the Aluminum is not more weak? But they do not drill threads deep enough into the aluminum? I'm not sure because I have seen it on So many Yamaha's. I have done it a few times where I was tightening a Cam Cap literally barley put any force on it yet just snugging it and pulled the threads, that was before I was going to go across them with 7FT LBS on a 1/4 Torque Wrench up bout to start torquing the cam caps down and pulled threads on 2 of them, I heli Coiled them and they seemed a hell of a lot stronger at that point.

Now for Honda's (I have a few times over tightened a thing or two on accident I'll admit in the past) seems like their aluminum is stronger? I mean strong enough to snap the Hardened Bolts, or maybe just deeper threading Honda does?

Hopefully I'm not making my self sound like an idiot on here.

My main thing is Why do they need so many moving parts, so much BS in the way of a High Performance bike engine. Makes me nuts every time I see one lol

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
Im not a fan. I will say that the suspension is better then honda however. But the engine is truly lacking unless you want to rev the crud out of it. I too also dislike how they feel, how you sit on one and the way they are put together is annoying.

TBH if I couldnt have a honda Id rather an LTR over a YFZ any day

·
Truck Yea
5,336 Posts
I’ve never been a fan either. I think their engineering is like Chrysler's, nothing makes sense, more difficult than it needs to be, and difficult to work on.
I fixed that for ya

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im not a fan. I will say that the suspension is better then honda however. But the engine is truly lacking unless you want to rev the crud out of it. I too also dislike how they feel, how you sit on one and the way they are put together is annoying.

TBH if I couldnt have a honda Id rather an LTR over a YFZ any day
I’ve never been a fan either. I think their engineering is like Ford’s, nothing makes sense, more difficult than it needs to be, and difficult to work on.
Great way to put it! But yes, way to much fancy flashy BS. That is what I get out of looking at them. It's funny my friend and i always say how the YFZ450 is like the Power Stroke, it makes a lot of power stock , it's flashy and a lot of moving parts and senseless over engineered crap. Then the TRX450R is like the Cummin's because it's simple, everything you need to work on is really easy to take apart and get to when needed! Also... pretty easy to make power and last the longest as stated before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts