Honda TRX 450R banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help on my HRC competiton kit install. I'm trying to figure out the position of the decompression shaft on the cam and sprocket. It seems to only go together one way but it has a hard time cranking over. This is the only thing I can think of.... after I bought a new battery.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
I need some help on my HRC competiton kit install. I'm trying to figure out the position of the decompression shaft on the cam and sprocket. It seems to only go together one way but it has a hard time cranking over. This is the only thing I can think of.... after I bought a new battery.[/b]
Is that decompression set correctly? And what year ER are you talking about?

-Jason

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Do you need pics? Let me get something together here.

When the shaft is inserted into the cam correctly, when you spin the shaft either way, it should raise/lower the dowel in the middle of the cam. When you install the sprocket onto the cam, it can be tricky and if you messed anything up, this is probably it.

Think this, the little stud on the decompressor shaft should fit into the little hole on the sprocket weight. If you operate the weight by hand, that should turn the shaft in the cam, which will move the dowel in the middle of the cam in/out. If that doesn't work like I described it, then it won't work for the motor either. So check that first.

-Jason

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
By the way, there is nothing to set on the '08 ER decompression. It's either assembled correctly or it isn't. If everything works as I described above, you should be fine. Make sure that with the spark plug out, you can turn the assembled engine over without any major resistance or binding. If so, then seriously, check your battery.

-Jasno

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx. I don't think I put shaft pin in the hole of the weight. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. If you have a pic of the sprocket that would help me out. My charger shows the battery has a full charge.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Thanx. I don't think I put shaft pin in the hole of the weight. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. If you have a pic of the sprocket that would help me out. My charger shows the battery has a full charge.[/b]
These are the best I could come up with from my pics. In the first one, it shows the shaft seated completely into the cam. Like this, it will operate the dowel correctly-

In this pic, the sprocket is installed onto the cam correctly. That oblong hole on the sprocket weight is the hole that goes over the smaller, offset pin on the decompressor shaft. While lining up the sprocket to the cam, the weight will have to be moved around some for the hole to line up properly with the pin on the decompressor shaft. It's tricky, but you just have to work with it you'll get it on there properly. It doesn't help that you can't look directly at it to line it up. Just be patient on this part.

Let me know if you need anything.

-Jason

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The first pic matches to what mine looks like.... but the second pic the pin is not in the hole of the weight. These pics will but very helpfully, THANX. I think next time I get into my engine I'll buy the service manual for it.... all I have is the 04-05 that I downloaded. I'll update you how it worked.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Please do let me know. Sorry the second one is so blurry. It was a snapshot of how mine was before I tore into it the first time in case I needed a visual aid to put it back together, haha.

-Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Please do let me know. Sorry the second one is so blurry. It was a snapshot of how mine was before I tore into it the first time in case I needed a visual aid to put it back together, haha.

-Jason
Hey DB on your second picture that is a little blurry is that decompression mechanism not on there when you put the top end back together? Cuz I just tore my 06 er and did a complete valve job and it has I hot cam 3 and I don't remember seeing that decompression mechanism on that gear when taking it apart. Is that something to eat get away with because I'm the hot cam YouTube video for stage 3 it said it could be put on or removed? I'm at a loss any help would be appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts